Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Megyn Kelly Under Fire After Leveling Personal Attack Against Chris Cuomo

    February 20, 2026

    ‘American Idol’ Lacks ‘Talent’ This Season, Go ‘Cheaper’ Route

    February 20, 2026

    Guanajuato International Airport set for 3 billion-peso expansion

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»4 extortion investigations launched in Vancouver — the first in the city
    Canada

    4 extortion investigations launched in Vancouver — the first in the city

    News DeskBy News DeskFebruary 19, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    4 extortion investigations launched in Vancouver — the first in the city
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 4 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

    B.C.’s most populous city is now part of a growing trend of crime where perpetrators threaten residents and businesses with violence in exchange for money.

    The Vancouver Police Department (VPD) said on Wednesday it is actively investigating four extortion files — the first cases reported to police in the city.

    “I can confirm that these four are the first four that we’re aware about in Vancouver,” said Const. Darren Wong in an email to CBC News.

    The force is offering few details about the cases. It has not said if they involve shootings, as have been common in other jurisdictions with far more extortion, such as Surrey, Delta and Abbotsford.

    VPD has also not said when the cases were reported but that arrests have been made.

    “While I cannot comment on specifics about these four investigations as they are all in different stages, I can confirm that we have executed search warrants and arrests and are in the process of collecting more evidence in order to have charges laid,” wrote Wong.

    The force said the victims are all connected to Vancouver, meaning they either reside in the city or have businesses located there.

    It also said that of the four investigations, VPD has worked with the Surrey Police Service and the B.C. Extortion Task Force on two of them.

    Police say it’s possible there are other cases in Vancouver and the force is asking victims to come forward to report the crime.

    Surrey up to 53 extortion cases this year

    Meanwhile, in Surrey, police say there have been 53 extortions reported to the force so far this year, up until Feb. 16, as well as 11 related shootings and two related arsons. They have targeted 31 victims, 17 of whom were previously targeted.

    Surrey has been ground-zero for extortion in the region with the first cases popping up in November 2023.

    Since then, the Surrey Police Service, along with other police agencies and various levels of government, have scrambled to try and keep up with the pace of the crime.

    On Thursday, the federal government announced dedicated financial intelligence experts who will focus on extortion crime targeting Canadian businesses and households as part of the multi-jurisdictional strategy to try and combat the problem.

    “Our message to criminals is both powerful and simple: Enough is enough,” said federal Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne speaking from Mississauga, Ont., another extortion hotspot.

    “We’re going to make their life miserable.”

    Champagne announced that the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC) will work closely with local law enforcement and prioritize receiving more timely and relevant financial intelligence to identify criminal networks and support investigations.

    In a news release Thursday, the government also announced the launch of a partnership between FINTRAC and Canadian banks, credit unions and financial service providers, including cryptocurrencies, to enhance information sharing and provide clear guidance on how to detect extortion transactions. 

    FINTRAC will also be publishing intelligence on how criminals launder proceeds, the news release said.

    Surrey police said they are reviewing the announcement and how it will be implemented.

    “Generally, however, we can say that any additional tools, resources, or involvement of agencies to assist in combatting extortions and crimes in Canadian communities is welcome,” said Staff Sgt. Lindsey Houghton.

    PM meets with police in Surrey

    Also on Thursday, Prime Minister Mark Carney was in Surrey meeting with local law enforcement to review changes his government is making to help tackle extortion.

    Three men sit at a boardroom table facing forward. The one in the middle wears a dark suit. The two on either side wear white police shirts and black ties. Flags appear in the background.
    Prime Minister Mark Carney speaks during a round table with police, flanked by Surrey Police Chief Const. Norm Lipinski, left, and RCMP Deputy Commissioner Dwayne McDonald, right, at RCMP ‘E’ Division headquarters in Surrey, B.C., on Thursday. (Ethan Cairns/The Canadian Press)

    That includes 80 amendments to Canada’s Criminal Code, tightening immigration laws to prevent extortion suspects from claiming asylum in Canada and resources to help victims of the crime.

    “We are in the process of addressing this issue collectively with law enforcement, with our prosecutors, with our municipalities, with the provinces, with the federal government,” said Carney.

    “We are going to stamp out extortion.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Canadian men’s hockey gold medal up for auction

    February 19, 2026
    Canada

    While resisting Trump, Carney is giving corporations a free-hand

    February 19, 2026
    Canada

    Amazon illegally imposed a wage freeze on unionized employees in B.C.

    February 19, 2026
    Canada

    B.C. government spending $50M to expand availability of nasal naloxone across province

    February 19, 2026
    Canada

    Canadian Challenge mushers race in Saskatchewan’s biggest dog sled event

    February 19, 2026
    Canada

    Saskatoon man faces 14-year sentence after shooting over gang rivalry – Saskatoon

    February 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Megyn Kelly Under Fire After Leveling Personal Attack Against Chris Cuomo

    News DeskFebruary 20, 20260

    The former Fox News anchor recently unloaded on Cuomo during a podcast episode, criticizing the…

    ‘American Idol’ Lacks ‘Talent’ This Season, Go ‘Cheaper’ Route

    February 20, 2026

    Guanajuato International Airport set for 3 billion-peso expansion

    February 20, 2026

    Xabi Alonso turns down opportunity to manage European giants

    February 20, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Megyn Kelly Under Fire After Leveling Personal Attack Against Chris Cuomo

    February 20, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Megyn Kelly Under Fire After Leveling Personal Attack Against Chris Cuomo

    February 20, 2026

    ‘American Idol’ Lacks ‘Talent’ This Season, Go ‘Cheaper’ Route

    February 20, 2026

    Guanajuato International Airport set for 3 billion-peso expansion

    February 20, 2026

    Xabi Alonso turns down opportunity to manage European giants

    February 20, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Megyn Kelly Under Fire After Leveling Personal Attack Against Chris Cuomo

    February 20, 2026

    ‘American Idol’ Lacks ‘Talent’ This Season, Go ‘Cheaper’ Route

    February 20, 2026

    Guanajuato International Airport set for 3 billion-peso expansion

    February 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.