Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    My Gameweek 1 FPL team reveal

    August 21, 2026

    Nevada Allows Uber, Tesla And Waymo To Start Paid Robotaxi Service

    August 21, 2026

    Fashion CEO Hunsicker Gets Five Years for $300 Million Fraud

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, August 21
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Spain»Mexico steps up legal offensive over 17 Mexicans who died in ICE custody: ‘There are too many cases’ | International
    Spain

    Mexico steps up legal offensive over 17 Mexicans who died in ICE custody: ‘There are too many cases’ | International

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Mexico steps up legal offensive over 17 Mexicans who died in ICE custody: ‘There are too many cases’ | International
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The Mexican government is continuing its efforts to identify those responsible for the deaths of 17 Mexican migrants who died during encounters with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Foreign Affairs Undersecretary Roberto Velasco said on Wednesday that Mexico has filed 20 complaints with U.S. authorities, only four of which have received a response. The Foreign Ministry has spent more than $24,000 repatriating the bodies and has maintained a formal request to the Justice Department for an investigation into the causes of the deaths.

    “We want an investigation to be carried out and, if any member of ICE, or any private contractor responsible for running or overseeing a detention center, was responsible, then action should be taken. There are simply too many cases,” said Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum.

    One state prosecutor has responded to Mexico’s complaint by backing ICE’s account. The official, from Florida, upheld the immigration agency’s investigation into the death of 19-year-old Royer Pérez, the youngest Mexican victim.

    Pérez was arrested in January by police in Volusia County, northern Florida, and charged with identity theft and resisting arrest. He was transferred to a state detention facility, where he later died despite efforts to revive him. The official account initially pointed to suicide, but testimony from detainees and a preliminary report from the local medical examiner’s office suggested he was killed by guards. Mexico has repeatedly called for the circumstances surrounding his death to be clarified, but U.S. authorities have so far declined to open any additional investigation.

    Four other state prosecutors, from Illinois, California, Texas and Florida, as well as district attorneys in Oxnard, San Bernardino, Chicago and Atlanta, have also replied, but only to acknowledge receipt of Mexico’s complaints. The government is still awaiting formal responses.

    Of the 17 deaths recorded, at least four occurred inside the Adelanto immigrant detention center in California. The victims were Alberto Gutiérrez Reyes, Ismael Ayala Uribe, Gabriel García Avilés and José Guadalupe Ramos Solano. Their families and civil society organizations allege negligence, mistreatment and inadequate medical care.

    Sheinbaum’s administration has also filed a complaint with the Department of Homeland Security and ICE officials demanding accountability from the private companies that manage detention facilities. Among them is GEO Group, which operates Adelanto and several other migrant detention centers. The company has faced longstanding allegations of medical negligence, excessive use of force, overcrowding, sexual abuse, unsanitary conditions and inadequate food.

    Meanwhile, Volker Türk, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, has responded to a letter from the Mexican government raising concerns about the deaths of Mexican migrants in U.S. state custody.

    “He informed us that he had forwarded the information to the U.N. Human Rights Council for its independent consideration. He will continue to monitor conditions in detention centers and the human rights of migrants, and he called on U.S. authorities to conduct prompt investigations,” Velasco said.

    Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get more English-language news coverage from EL PAÍS USA Edition

    Claudia Sheinbaum Donald Trump ICE México
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Spain

    ¿Por qué desaparecieron los grandes herbívoros de África? La respuesta puede estar en su lenta evolución

    August 21, 2026
    Spain

    A roundup of the latest news on Friday

    August 21, 2026
    Spain

    🎙 PODCAST | Jornaleros, Cara A: Rocío | De eso no se habla

    August 21, 2026
    ES Politics

    Sánchez has one year until Spain’s election deadline. The odds are against him. – POLITICO

    August 21, 2026
    Mexico

    Sheinbaum-Carney call comes ahead of Canada tariff deadline

    August 21, 2026
    Spain

    ¿Qué fue del ‘couchsurfing’? La forma de viajar gratis durmiendo en sofás a la que casi nadie quiere volver

    August 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    My Gameweek 1 FPL team reveal

    News DeskAugust 21, 20260

    There is one obvious omission from my Gameweek 1 Fantasy Premier League squad: Erling Haaland. …

    Nevada Allows Uber, Tesla And Waymo To Start Paid Robotaxi Service

    August 21, 2026

    Fashion CEO Hunsicker Gets Five Years for $300 Million Fraud

    August 21, 2026

    ENG vs PAK: Joe Root equals Sachin Tendulkar’s Test record during 1st Test

    August 21, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Christiane Martel, the first French Miss Universe, tells her Mexican story | Culture

    August 9, 2026

    Fashion CEO Hunsicker Gets Five Years for $300 Million Fraud

    August 21, 2026

    Travel Leaders Network: Listening, evaluating and helping members meet their needs

    August 7, 2026

    Guest post by Lorne Fitch: 20 reasons Albertans should be concerned about conservation

    August 7, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    My Gameweek 1 FPL team reveal

    August 21, 2026

    Nevada Allows Uber, Tesla And Waymo To Start Paid Robotaxi Service

    August 21, 2026

    Fashion CEO Hunsicker Gets Five Years for $300 Million Fraud

    August 21, 2026

    ENG vs PAK: Joe Root equals Sachin Tendulkar’s Test record during 1st Test

    August 21, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    My Gameweek 1 FPL team reveal

    August 21, 2026

    Nevada Allows Uber, Tesla And Waymo To Start Paid Robotaxi Service

    August 21, 2026

    Fashion CEO Hunsicker Gets Five Years for $300 Million Fraud

    August 21, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.