Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Diamondbacks To Transfer Ketel Marte To Injured List

    August 21, 2026

    Winnipeg’s Braxton Kuntz 1 shot off the lead at Manitoba Open – Winnipeg

    August 21, 2026

    Does Saffron Go Bad? Shelf Life, Storage and Fraud

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, August 21
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Science & Technology»CA Science & Tech»Award-winning Canadian developer of South of Midnight now independent from Xbox
    CA Science & Tech

    Award-winning Canadian developer of South of Midnight now independent from Xbox

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 20, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Award-winning Canadian developer of South of Midnight now independent from Xbox
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Montreal-based Compulsion Games is officially independent once more.

    The Canadian South of Midnight developer confirmed to GamesBeat that it has successfully negotiated with Xbox to separate from the gaming giant after being acquired by it in 2018. Xbox has been laying off thousands of employees as part of a wider company reset, making it all the more notable that Compulsion managed to break off.

    Thanks to @deantak.bsky.social for sitting down with Guillaume Provost to talk about Compulsion’s independence.
    Every game you buy now directly supports Compulsion and helps fund our next project.

    gamesbeat.com/compulsion-g…

    [image or embed]

    — Compulsion Games (@compulsiongames.bsky.social) August 20, 2026 at 1:08 PM

    Compulsion CEO Guillaume Provost provided some more details in the GamesBeat interview, noting that the studio has also managed to retain the rights to South of Midnight as well its two prior games, 2013’s Contrast and 2018’s We Happy Few. As a result, he said purchases of these games will now directly and fully support Compulsion, not Microsoft.

    Last week, there was discussion about store listings indicating that Compulsion had officially gone independent, although no one had confirmed that this was indeed true. Provost’s clarification now about who actually owns South of Midnight is important because there have been calls to boycott Xbox both because of their continued string of mass layoffs and Microsoft’s wider association with the Israeli government amid its genocidal war against Palestine.

    Provost noted to GamesBeat that there’s been a “transition period” in terms of transferring the rights to Compulsion. However, he confirmed that “buying the games is supporting the studio as a result of that change.” He also said the exit was “gracious on Microsoft’s part,” acknowledging that they could have instead all lost their jobs.

    Irrespective of Microsoft, South of Midnight has received significant praise in the gaming industry for its touching story about a young Black woman healing her community in the American Deep South, including winning a prestigious Peabody and sweeping the Canadian Game Awards in May. (Disclaimer: MobileSyrup was on the CGAs voting jury.)

    And yet, just a few weeks after their big CGAs night, we learned that Xbox was potentially going to close Compulsion alongside several other studios, including Double Fine (Psychonauts) and Ninja Theory (Hellblade). Ultimately, these teams managed to negotiate their independence.

    While it’s undeniably great to see all of these studios avoid closure, it’s important to stress that they must now contend with one of the worst periods the gaming industry has ever seen amid tens of thousands of layoffs while being independent. Provost admitted to GamesBeat that some employees left once the studio faced the risk of closure, but he wouldn’t confirm how many people are currently staffed there. That said, he said the bulk of the management team has stayed on and noted that most of the developers said they “would rather eat rocks and drink gasoline” than split up.

    Going forward, Provost says he is exploring options for funding to keep Compulsion going. He also indicated that part of the team will continue to work on a new title that was in the early stages of development at Xbox prior to the separation.

    “I just want to make sure that we’re setting the team up for success,” Provost said. “We’re going to take things slow. We’re going to meet with everyone.”

    If you want to support this wonderful team, South of Midnight is available on PS5, Xbox Series X/S, Nintendo Switch 2 and PC. More information on the game, as well as Contrast and We Happy Few, can be found on the studio’s website.

    Image credit: Compulsion Games

    Compulsion Games gaming Microsoft South of Midnight xbox
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Science & Tech

    Try out Samsung Galaxy AI at BTS tour Toronto stop

    August 20, 2026
    CA Science & Tech

    Apple Music to add AI labels to songs later this year

    August 20, 2026
    CA Science & Tech

    Xreal surpasses 10,000 reservations for Aura smartglasses

    August 20, 2026
    CA Science & Tech

    Google is cracking down on Android apps that use too much memory

    August 20, 2026
    CA Science & Tech

    What to check out at Fan Expo Canada 2026

    August 20, 2026
    CA Science & Tech

    Google’s Pixel 11 series is now available in Canada

    August 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Diamondbacks To Transfer Ketel Marte To Injured List

    News DeskAugust 21, 20260

    The Diamondbacks are transferring Ketel Marte from the restricted list to the 10-day injured list, general…

    Winnipeg’s Braxton Kuntz 1 shot off the lead at Manitoba Open – Winnipeg

    August 21, 2026

    Does Saffron Go Bad? Shelf Life, Storage and Fraud

    August 21, 2026

    LISA’s ‘Red Rock Therapy’ Caption Quietly Reframes What A-List Rest Looks Like

    August 21, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Christiane Martel, the first French Miss Universe, tells her Mexican story | Culture

    August 9, 2026

    Travel Leaders Network: Listening, evaluating and helping members meet their needs

    August 7, 2026

    Guest post by Lorne Fitch: 20 reasons Albertans should be concerned about conservation

    August 7, 2026

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Diamondbacks To Transfer Ketel Marte To Injured List

    August 21, 2026

    Winnipeg’s Braxton Kuntz 1 shot off the lead at Manitoba Open – Winnipeg

    August 21, 2026

    Does Saffron Go Bad? Shelf Life, Storage and Fraud

    August 21, 2026

    LISA’s ‘Red Rock Therapy’ Caption Quietly Reframes What A-List Rest Looks Like

    August 21, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Diamondbacks To Transfer Ketel Marte To Injured List

    August 21, 2026

    Winnipeg’s Braxton Kuntz 1 shot off the lead at Manitoba Open – Winnipeg

    August 21, 2026

    Does Saffron Go Bad? Shelf Life, Storage and Fraud

    August 21, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.