Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Los ejecutivos de Branded Entertainment, Anthony Damianakis y Pete Fergusson, lanzan la startup Ipx con sede en Dubai para conectar marcas con contenido (exclusivo)

    February 16, 2026

    T20 World Cup 2026: Boycott talk resurfaces as former spinner takes a brutal dig at Pakistan after crushing loss to India

    February 16, 2026

    Little Amélie or the Character of Rain Review

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»CA Politics»Car dealers still seeking reimbursement for EVs sold under old rebates program
    CA Politics

    Car dealers still seeking reimbursement for EVs sold under old rebates program

    News DeskBy News DeskFebruary 16, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Car dealers still seeking reimbursement for EVs sold under old rebates program
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    OTTAWA — The reborn federal electric vehicle rebate program is set to launch today — but some of Canada’s auto dealers say they’re still out tens of thousands dollars from the last one.

    Starting today, Canadians can access up to $5,000 in government rebates toward the purchase of new electric vehicles that cost less than $50,000. Plug-in hybrids will be eligible for $2,500 in subsidies.

    The return of the popular program is being welcomed by car dealerships. But some dealerships have their guard up because the government’s portal to submit reimbursement claims won’t be launched until April.

    “It’s a little worrisome. Obviously my antlers are a little bit more raised with what’s going on, and I’m going to be on top of every claim. Just because I don’t trust the system anymore,” said Dean Woods, sales manager at a Kia dealership in Grimsby, Ont.

    Woods told The Canadian Press his dealership is out $20,000 from the old program after Transport Canada refused to reimburse it for rebates applied to EVs it sold.

    The cars were sold in 2024 but the dealership’s office manager didn’t notice they hadn’t been reimbursed by the government until a month ago. Woods wrote to Transport Canada asking to be reimbursed but Transport Canada refused because the program had ended a year ago.

    After Woods pressed the department further and provided documentation to support the claims, Transport Canada chalked it up to an error in the submission form.

    “Therefore, you never received the claim number confirmations for these four submissions, and it was never received by the iZEV Program,” a Transport Canada official said in a letter to Woods last month, which he shared with The Canadian Press.

    “If the program was still active, you could have resubmitted the claims, however since the program is now closed, re-submission or reimbursement is no longer possible.”

    Under both the old and new EV incentives program, dealerships are supposed to apply the $5,000 rebate directly at the point of purchase, then apply to the government to be reimbursed.

    Huw Williams, a spokesperson for the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association, said the process amounts to dealerships having to “front the money on behalf of the federal government, which has an enormous treasury.”

    “Dealers are small, independent businesses. And when there’s been historic problems, Transport Canada has not always shown flexibility to solve the problem,” he added.

    Williams couldn’t say exactly how many other dealerships are still waiting on reimbursements from the federal government.

    “We have some dealers who have brought us cases to look at and submit to Transport Canada, which we’ve done, and after they’ve been rejected, we’ve then been rejected,” he said.

    “And we have others who have spoken to us and are unsure that they’re even going to submit, feeling that there’s not a hope for them getting paid.”

    Williams said that, now that the government has reintroduced an incentive program and set aside $2.3 billion for it, Transport Canada should reimburse those who are still waiting to be made whole.

    “Let’s start it in good faith. Get people, dealers — who had fronted money to consumers — paid, and let’s charge forward together to get EVs across the country,” he said.

    The first EV rebate program ran for five years between 2019 and 2025. The government paused it in January 2025 when its funding ran out.

    In a statement to The Canadian Press, Transport Canada said it temporarily reopened the rebate program for a month last summer to allow dealerships to submit claims which had not yet been paid.

    “All eligible claims for reimbursement that were submitted to Transport Canada — either before the program pause or during the temporary administrative window last summer — have been paid,” said department spokesperson Flavio Nienow.

    The department did not immediately respond to a followup question about cases where submission forms had errors preventing a claim from being submitted.

    This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 16, 2026

    Nick Murray, The Canadian Press

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Politics

    Rubio meets Orbán in Budapest as US and Hungary are to sign a civilian nuclear pact

    February 16, 2026
    CA Politics

    The new country Alberta’s separatist minority is dreaming of would never be a real democracy

    February 16, 2026
    CA Politics

    Quebec Liberal Party welcomes new leader Charles Milliard

    February 15, 2026
    CA Politics

    Former Conservative leader John Rustad decides against running for his old job

    February 15, 2026
    CA Politics

    Canada seals deal on EU defence procurement as Munich summit tests transatlantic ties

    February 15, 2026
    CA Politics

    Carney strategy for defence industry pledges 125,000 jobs, sweeping policy changes

    February 15, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Los ejecutivos de Branded Entertainment, Anthony Damianakis y Pete Fergusson, lanzan la startup Ipx con sede en Dubai para conectar marcas con contenido (exclusivo)

    News DeskFebruary 16, 20260

    Los ejecutivos de entretenimiento de marca Anthony Damianakis y Pete Fergusson están lanzando una ambiciosa…

    T20 World Cup 2026: Boycott talk resurfaces as former spinner takes a brutal dig at Pakistan after crushing loss to India

    February 16, 2026

    Little Amélie or the Character of Rain Review

    February 16, 2026

    Barcelona unlikely to sign defender that Hansi Flick likes

    February 16, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Little Amélie or the Character of Rain Review

    February 16, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Los ejecutivos de Branded Entertainment, Anthony Damianakis y Pete Fergusson, lanzan la startup Ipx con sede en Dubai para conectar marcas con contenido (exclusivo)

    February 16, 2026

    T20 World Cup 2026: Boycott talk resurfaces as former spinner takes a brutal dig at Pakistan after crushing loss to India

    February 16, 2026

    Little Amélie or the Character of Rain Review

    February 16, 2026

    Barcelona unlikely to sign defender that Hansi Flick likes

    February 16, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Los ejecutivos de Branded Entertainment, Anthony Damianakis y Pete Fergusson, lanzan la startup Ipx con sede en Dubai para conectar marcas con contenido (exclusivo)

    February 16, 2026

    T20 World Cup 2026: Boycott talk resurfaces as former spinner takes a brutal dig at Pakistan after crushing loss to India

    February 16, 2026

    Little Amélie or the Character of Rain Review

    February 16, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.