Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Confidently Wrong interviews Escuela Vasconcelos

    February 21, 2026

    How to Decide What to Build vs. Outsource in 5 Steps — Without Losing Control or Slowing Growth

    February 21, 2026

    Deep Dasgupta unveils his preferred India XI for the T20 World Cup 2026 Super 8 showdown against South Africa

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, February 21
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Science & Technology»US Science & Tech»Cloudflare CEO Matthew Prince is pushing UK regulator to unbundle Google’s search and AI crawlers
    US Science & Tech

    Cloudflare CEO Matthew Prince is pushing UK regulator to unbundle Google’s search and AI crawlers

    News DeskBy News DeskOctober 21, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Cloudflare CEO Matthew Prince is pushing UK regulator to unbundle Google's search and AI crawlers
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    After earlier this year launching a marketplace that allows websites to charge AI bots for scraping their content, web infrastructure provider Cloudflare is pushing for increased regulation in the AI sector.

    The company’s chief executive, Matthew Prince, says he’s in London to speak with the U.K.’s Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), where he’s proposing stricter rules on how Google should be able to compete in the AI race, given its search dominance.

    The CMA earlier this month designated Google with a special status in the search and advertising markets because of its “substantial and entrenched” position. The move will allow the regulator to impose more stringent regulations beyond just search and ads, including in areas like Google’s AI Overviews and AI Mode, the Discover feed, Top Stories, and News tab.

    According to Prince, Cloudflare is in a good position to make recommendations because it’s not in the AI business itself but has a large number of relationships with the AI companies.

    “We don’t have a dog directly in the fight. We’re not an AI company,” Prince said, speaking at the Bloomberg Tech conference in London this week. “We’re not a media publisher, but we’re this network that sits between them — 80% of the AI companies are our customers,” he added.

    The Cloudflare boss believes that Google should have to compete on the same footing as other AI companies, which is not what it’s doing today, he said. Rather, Google uses its existing web crawler to crawl content for its AI products and services, in addition to its search engine. This, Prince said, gives Google an unfair advantage. (Prince is referring to Googlebot, which crawls for Search, including its AI features, like AI Overviews. A Google spokesperson, Ned Adriance, said that site owners can opt out of having content used for training AI products with Google Extended, which doesn’t impact a site’s inclusion in Google Search. Some media companies would likely prefer to fully opt out of AI features, however, so the point largely stands.)

    “Google is saying, ‘We have an absolute God-given right to all of the content in the world, even if we don’t pay for it, because look what we did for the last 27 years,’” Prince explained. “And they’re saying we can take it and use the same crawler we use for search in order to power our AI systems. And if you want to opt out of one, you have to opt out of both,” he noted.

    This, obviously, is not feasible for most, particularly those in the media business, where losing search means losing about 20% of your revenue, the executive said.

    “But it gets even worse. If you block Google’s crawler, it blocks their ad safety team, which means that your advertisements across all of your platforms stop working, which is just a non-starter,” Prince added.

    Because Google bundles its crawler, it’s able to get access to content that others, like Anthropic, OpenAI, and Perplexity, would have to pay for.

    “The problem is that we then will have effectively handed the game to Google,” he said.

    The solution, Prince said, is to foster a lot of competition in the market, where potentially thousands of AI companies could compete to buy content from thousands of media businesses and millions of small businesses. He suggested that what the U.K.’s CMA was doing by flagging Google as a potential regulatory target was a thoughtful move, and one that indicates they’re aware of Google’s unique advantage.

    Cloudflare has also provided the CMA with data that shows how Google’s crawler works and why it’s nearly impossible for other players to replicate the same success Google could have.

    Prince isn’t the only one to share these opinions in recent days. Last month, Neil Vogel, CEO of People, Inc., the largest digital and print publisher in the United States, which operates over 40 media brands, said essentially the same thing. In an interview, he called out Google as a “bad actor,” saying that media companies had no choice but to let Google crawl their sites for AI content because of the way the crawlers were combined.

    Vogel, whose company had adopted Cloudflare’s solution to block AI crawlers that don’t pay, claimed the system was working, as he said deal discussions were underway with several large LLM providers.

    Updated with Google comment.

    AI policy cloudflare Google Matthew Prince Regulation UK uk cma
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    US Science & Tech

    India’s Sarvam launches Indus AI chat app as competition heats up

    February 21, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    The creator economy’s ad revenue problem and India’s AI ambitions

    February 20, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    Xbox head Phil Spencer is leaving Microsoft

    February 20, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    The Galaxy S26 and other devices that might launch on February 25

    February 20, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    Remember HQ? ‘Quiz Daddy’ Scott Rogowsky is back with TextSavvy, a daily mobile game show

    February 20, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    Anthropic-funded group backs candidate attacked by rival AI super PAC

    February 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Confidently Wrong interviews Escuela Vasconcelos

    News DeskFebruary 21, 20260

    As we continue to bring you perspectives on raising and educating kids in Mexico, we…

    How to Decide What to Build vs. Outsource in 5 Steps — Without Losing Control or Slowing Growth

    February 21, 2026

    Deep Dasgupta unveils his preferred India XI for the T20 World Cup 2026 Super 8 showdown against South Africa

    February 21, 2026

    A look at the SCOTUS ruling on Trump's tariffs

    February 21, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Gran Hotel Miramar – My Luxe Escape in Malaga, Spain

    February 2, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Confidently Wrong interviews Escuela Vasconcelos

    February 21, 2026

    How to Decide What to Build vs. Outsource in 5 Steps — Without Losing Control or Slowing Growth

    February 21, 2026

    Deep Dasgupta unveils his preferred India XI for the T20 World Cup 2026 Super 8 showdown against South Africa

    February 21, 2026

    A look at the SCOTUS ruling on Trump's tariffs

    February 21, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Confidently Wrong interviews Escuela Vasconcelos

    February 21, 2026

    How to Decide What to Build vs. Outsource in 5 Steps — Without Losing Control or Slowing Growth

    February 21, 2026

    Deep Dasgupta unveils his preferred India XI for the T20 World Cup 2026 Super 8 showdown against South Africa

    February 21, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.