Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Halifax police say missing newborn found dead, 2 people charged – Halifax

    May 24, 2026

    Antonio Conte confirms he is leaving Napoli after ‘mediocre’ season

    May 24, 2026

    Eddie Griffin Slams ‘Sensitive’ Drake Over New Album

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Sunday, May 24
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»CA Politics»Community voices frustration as Burnaby hospital expansion project is put on hold
    CA Politics

    Community voices frustration as Burnaby hospital expansion project is put on hold

    News DeskBy News DeskMay 24, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Community voices frustration as Burnaby hospital expansion project is put on hold
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    BURNABY — Dozens of protesters carrying placards gathered in a park in Burnaby, B.C., to rally against the provincial government’s cancellation of a construction contract for a hospital expansion in the city.

    Premier David Eby said earlier in May that plans for the Burnaby Hospital expansion aren’t dead despite the provincial government’s announcement that the contract had been cancelled.

    Phase 2 of the hospital expansion project was slated to add 160 beds and a cancer care centre, but it has become one of several projects that the province placed on hold in its 2026 budget.

    David Xie, spokesman for Buranby neighbourhood watch, says despite Burnaby being the third largest city in B.C., residents don’t have a “fully-functioning modern hospital,” forcing many locals to travel to other cities for their health-care needs.

    For instance, Xie says his family experienced an emergency last year, when his son hit his head, which wouldn’t stop bleeding, and the Burnaby Hospital’s waiting time was the longest compared to other hospitals, forcing him to drive to a different city for care.

    But Xie says many families in Burnaby don’t have cars, and having more beds can address many local patients’ urgent needs.

    Infrastructure Minister Bowinn Ma said early in May that the projects were “re-paced or rescheduled” since they needed more work before they could proceed to construction.

    Langley-Walnut Grove MLA Misty Van Popta, who is also the shadow critic for infrastructure, says it was recently discovered that the project wasn’t only placed on hold, but the province had also cancelled all associated contracts.

    Popta says Burnaby is one of the lowest-funded hospitals in the province, and the “particular cut to the budget should not have ever taken place.”

    The B.C. government announced during the budget in February that it would slow down several health construction projects as it struggled with a deficit projected to balloon to $13.3 billion.

    Ma said in a statement on Sunday that she wants to assure people the project remains within the province’s capital plan and will move forward.

    Xie says residents deserve to have more clarity on when the project will proceed.

    Popta says she understands the province’s stance is that the project isn’t cancelled, instead, it’s being re-paced.

    “But re-pacing would indicate that there’s an associated timeline to start, and there isn’t, and so when you cancel contracts and there’s no restart date, you are cancelling a project. It is now back to just being a concept,” said Popta.

    This report by The Canadian Press was first published May. 24, 2026.

    Nono Shen, The Canadian Press

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Politics

    The debate is loud, but separatist fears are cooling in Canada: poll

    May 24, 2026
    CA Politics

    Provincial byelection called for Acadian riding in western Cape Breton

    May 24, 2026
    CA Politics

    Nova Scotia government confirms latest offer made to striking long-term care workers

    May 24, 2026
    CA Politics

    From Diet Coke to helium and snack pack ink, here are 5 shortages caused by the Iran war

    May 24, 2026
    CA Politics

    Job one for this high-tech farmer: Squeezing out the Americans

    May 24, 2026
    CA Politics

    Democrats vow a redistricting counterpunch but are facing hurdles Republicans don’t

    May 24, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Halifax police say missing newborn found dead, 2 people charged – Halifax

    News DeskMay 24, 20260

    Descrease article font size Increase article font size Halifax police say the search for a…

    Antonio Conte confirms he is leaving Napoli after ‘mediocre’ season

    May 24, 2026

    Eddie Griffin Slams ‘Sensitive’ Drake Over New Album

    May 24, 2026

    Barcelona on alert as Alvarez knocks back Atletico Madrid offer

    May 24, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    William Shatner Announces Summer Convention Appearance in San Antonio Texas

    April 24, 2026

    Did Beyoncé Tease ACT III On Instagram?

    April 24, 2026

    Palantir is reportedly helping the IRS investigate financial crimes

    April 24, 2026

    Brit Eady Reacts After Removals At Kenya Moore’s Hair Spa

    April 24, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Halifax police say missing newborn found dead, 2 people charged – Halifax

    May 24, 2026

    Antonio Conte confirms he is leaving Napoli after ‘mediocre’ season

    May 24, 2026

    Eddie Griffin Slams ‘Sensitive’ Drake Over New Album

    May 24, 2026

    Barcelona on alert as Alvarez knocks back Atletico Madrid offer

    May 24, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Halifax police say missing newborn found dead, 2 people charged – Halifax

    May 24, 2026

    Antonio Conte confirms he is leaving Napoli after ‘mediocre’ season

    May 24, 2026

    Eddie Griffin Slams ‘Sensitive’ Drake Over New Album

    May 24, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.