Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Visa-Free travel to China starts for Canadian passport holders on Feb 17

    February 16, 2026

    Milan plot summer move for versatile Barcelona star

    February 16, 2026

    Los ejecutivos de Branded Entertainment, Anthony Damianakis y Pete Fergusson, lanzan la startup Ipx con sede en Dubai para conectar marcas con contenido (exclusivo)

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Science & Technology»US Science & Tech»Critics pan spyware maker NSO’s transparency claims amid its push to enter US market
    US Science & Tech

    Critics pan spyware maker NSO’s transparency claims amid its push to enter US market

    News DeskBy News DeskJanuary 8, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Critics pan spyware maker NSO's transparency claims amid its push to enter US market
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    NSO Group, one of the most well-known and controversial makers of government spyware, released a new transparency report on Wednesday, as the company enters what it described as “a new phase of accountability.”

    But the report, unlike NSO’s previous annual disclosures, lacks details about how many customers the company rejected, investigated, suspended, or terminated due to human rights abuses involving its surveillance tools. While the report contains promises to respect human rights and have controls to demand its customers do the same, the report provides no concrete evidence supporting either. 

    Experts and critics who have followed NSO and the spyware market for years believe the report is part of an effort and campaign by the company to get the U.S. government to remove the company from a blocklist — technically called the Entity List — as it hopes to enter the U.S. market with new financial backers and executives at the helm.

    Last year, a group of U.S. investors acquired the company, and since then, NSO has been undergoing a transition that included high-profile personnel changes: former Trump official David Friedman was appointed the new executive chairman; CEO Yaron Shohat stepped down; and Omri Lavie, the last remaining founder who was still involved in the company, also left, as Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported.

    “When NSO’s products are in the right hands within the right countries, the world is a far safer place. That will always be our overriding mission,” Friedman wrote in the report, which does not mention any country where NSO operates.

    Natalia Krapiva, the senior tech-legal counsel at Access Now, a digital rights organization that investigates spyware abuses, told TechCrunch: “NSO is clearly on a campaign to get removed from the U.S. Entity List and one of the key things they need to show is that they have dramatically changed as a company since they were listed.” 

    “Changing the leadership is one part and this transparency report is another,” said Krapiva.

    “However, we have seen this before with NSO and other spyware companies over the years where they change names and leadership and publish empty transparency or ethics reports but the abuses continue.” 

    Contact Us

    Do you know more information about NSO Group? Or other spyware makers? From a non-work device, you can contact Lorenzo Franceschi-Bicchierai securely on Signal at +1 917 257 1382, or via Telegram, Keybase and Wire @lorenzofb, or email.

    “This is nothing but another attempt at window dressing and the U.S. government should not be taken for a fool,” said Krapiva.

    Ever since the Biden administration added NSO to the Entity List, the company has lobbied to have its restrictions lifted. After President Donald Trump took office again last year, NSO intensified these efforts. But, as of May last year, NSO had failed to sway the new administration.

    In late December, the Trump administration lifted sanctions against three executives tied to the Intellexa spyware consortium, in what some saw as a sign of a shift in the administration’s attitude toward spyware makers.

    A lack of details

    This year’s transparency report, which covers 2025, has fewer details than reports from previous years. 

    In an earlier transparency report covering 2024, for example, NSO said it opened three investigations of potential misuse. Without naming the customers, the company said it cut ties with one, and imposed on another customer “alternative remediation measures,” including mandating human rights training, monitoring the customer activities, and requesting more information about how the customer uses the system. NSO did not provide any information about the third investigation. 

    NSO also said that during 2024, the company rejected more than $20 million “in new business opportunities due to human rights concerns.” 

    In the transparency report published the prior year, covering 2022 and 2023, NSO said it suspended or terminated six government customers, without naming them, claiming these actions resulted in a revenue loss of $57 million.

    In 2021, NSO said it had “disconnected” the systems of five customers since 2016 following an investigation of misuse, resulting in more than $100 million in “estimated loss of revenue,” and it also said that it “discontinued engagements” with five customers due to “concerns regarding human rights.”

    NSO’s newest transparency report does not include the total number of customers NSO has, statistics that have been consistently present in previous reports.

    TechCrunch asked NSO spokesperson Gil Lanier to provide similar statistics and figures, but did not receive answers by press time.

    John Scott-Railton, a senior researcher at The Citizen Lab, a human rights organization that has investigated spyware abuses for more than a decade, criticized NSO. 

    “I was expecting information, numbers,” Scott-Railton told TechCrunch. “Nothing in this document allows outsiders to verify NSO’s claims, which is business as usual from a company that has a decade-long history of making claims that later turned out to be misrepresentation.”

    government spyware Israel NSO NSO Group privacy Spyware surveillance
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    US Science & Tech

    OpenAI has hired the developer behind AI agent OpenClaw

    February 16, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    African defensetech Terra Industries, founded by two Gen Zers, raises additional $22M in a month

    February 16, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    The best cheap phones for 2026

    February 16, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    As AI data centers hit power limits, Peak XV backs Indian startup C2i to fix the bottleneck

    February 16, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    Blackstone backs Neysa in up to $1.2B financing as India pushes to build domestic AI infrastructure

    February 16, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    Hideki Sato, known as the father of Sega hardware, has reportedly died

    February 15, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Visa-Free travel to China starts for Canadian passport holders on Feb 17

    News DeskFebruary 16, 20260

    By TravelPress Staff February 16, 2026 China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has announced that starting…

    Milan plot summer move for versatile Barcelona star

    February 16, 2026

    Los ejecutivos de Branded Entertainment, Anthony Damianakis y Pete Fergusson, lanzan la startup Ipx con sede en Dubai para conectar marcas con contenido (exclusivo)

    February 16, 2026

    T20 World Cup 2026: Boycott talk resurfaces as former spinner takes a brutal dig at Pakistan after crushing loss to India

    February 16, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Visa-Free travel to China starts for Canadian passport holders on Feb 17

    February 16, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Visa-Free travel to China starts for Canadian passport holders on Feb 17

    February 16, 2026

    Milan plot summer move for versatile Barcelona star

    February 16, 2026

    Los ejecutivos de Branded Entertainment, Anthony Damianakis y Pete Fergusson, lanzan la startup Ipx con sede en Dubai para conectar marcas con contenido (exclusivo)

    February 16, 2026

    T20 World Cup 2026: Boycott talk resurfaces as former spinner takes a brutal dig at Pakistan after crushing loss to India

    February 16, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Visa-Free travel to China starts for Canadian passport holders on Feb 17

    February 16, 2026

    Milan plot summer move for versatile Barcelona star

    February 16, 2026

    Los ejecutivos de Branded Entertainment, Anthony Damianakis y Pete Fergusson, lanzan la startup Ipx con sede en Dubai para conectar marcas con contenido (exclusivo)

    February 16, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.