Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Ratcliffe avoids FA charge for immigration comments

    February 20, 2026

    All About Her Father, Mother & Siblings – Hollywood Life

    February 20, 2026

    Threads posts can now be shared directly to your Instagram Story without leaving the app

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Education minister faces questions over $1.7K in Queen’s Park restaurant bills
    Canada

    Education minister faces questions over $1.7K in Queen’s Park restaurant bills

    News DeskBy News DeskSeptember 26, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Education minister faces questions over $1.7K in Queen’s Park restaurant bills
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Ontario’s education minister is facing scrutiny over his expenses as he calls out wasteful spending by school board trustees, after his office declined to release details of the money he has spent on restaurant meals.

    Expense disclosures for Education Minister Paul Calandra show, over the course of three months, he spent almost $1,800 at the Legislative Dining Room, a restaurant in the basement of Queen’s Park where staff and politicians commonly eat.

    While publicly-available information shows how much the minister billed taxpayers in the dining room per month, itemized receipts are not included in the disclosures.

    Here’s how the expenses break down:

    • March: $1,089.32
    • April: $147.47
    • May: $539.01

    The expenses were highlighted by unions as the sector pushes back against the Ford government’s plans to overhaul school boards and eliminate some trustees.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Global News approached Calandra’s office for details about the expenses and who he was hosting for meals, but did not receive a formal response.

    Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

    Get daily National news

    Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

    The ministry noted that they did not believe the expenses were comparable to the examples Calandra has published of trustee spending on a song, TV wall mounts or an Apple TV subscription.

    In recent weeks, Calandra has released the expenses of trustees with the Toronto Catholic District School Board, criticizing the purchase of a $15 milkshake and a late-night burger delivery.


    He also wrote to the chair of the board telling him to return more than  $6,000 worth of supplies he had purchased with his public credit card, including phone cases, charging cables and earphones.

    “Calandra is chasing after milkshake expenses while taking billions out of our classrooms and wasting thousands of taxpayer dollars on fancy meals for himself,” Ontario NDP MPP Chandra Pasma said.

    The minister’s office previously told Global News it was “laughable” to compare the expenses of part-time school board trustees to those of a minister.

    Trending Now

    • Gas prices are down. Here’s why — and could they drop more soon?

    • Renowned ICU doctor Darren Markland dies in Alberta mountain biking accident

    Matias De Dovitiis, a Toronto District School Board trustee who has previously run for the NDP, said it was hypocritical of Calandra to publish trustee expenses and not make his own available to scrutiny.

    “I would like us to move on, but for the sake of transparency, it would be great (if he released his expenses),” he said.

    Story continues below advertisement

    “If he wants to set a moral standard, that’s amazing. But all of our expenses have to be publicly shared on our websites. If anyone ever wanted to look at my expenses, they could. They should be able to do the same for the minister.”

    Over the past several months, Calandra has focused on the issue of questionable financial decisions as the driver of his plans to reform school boards.

    A trip to Italy and another to the Blue Jays Hotel were among the catalysts for a slew of school board takeovers.

    The back-and-forth over expenses is part of a broader existential moment for trustees in Ontario, as Calandra weighs scrapping the role altogether.

    He has said he expects to have a decision on the future of school board governance by the end of the year.

    &copy 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



    Ford government Ontario Education Ontario politics politics
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Cross examination continues of fourth complainant in sexual assault trial of Frank Stronach

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    ‘We shoot, we score!’ Canadian junior hockey team sings song of inspriation for Team Canada

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    The Curator: Travel-sized must-haves for March break – National

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Behind the scenes of Diageo’s attempts to soften the blow of an Ontario plant closure

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Montreal is mentioned in the Epstein files hundreds of times. Here’s what we know

    February 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Ratcliffe avoids FA charge for immigration comments

    News DeskFebruary 20, 20260

    Sir Jim Ratcliffe will not face formal disciplinary action from the Football Association following the…

    All About Her Father, Mother & Siblings – Hollywood Life

    February 20, 2026

    Threads posts can now be shared directly to your Instagram Story without leaving the app

    February 20, 2026

    CSK recruit Rahul Chahar announces separation from wife Ishani Johar ahead of IPL 2026

    February 20, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    cómo activar la nueva vista dividida que va a cambiar la navegación para siempre

    February 20, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Ratcliffe avoids FA charge for immigration comments

    February 20, 2026

    All About Her Father, Mother & Siblings – Hollywood Life

    February 20, 2026

    Threads posts can now be shared directly to your Instagram Story without leaving the app

    February 20, 2026

    CSK recruit Rahul Chahar announces separation from wife Ishani Johar ahead of IPL 2026

    February 20, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Ratcliffe avoids FA charge for immigration comments

    February 20, 2026

    All About Her Father, Mother & Siblings – Hollywood Life

    February 20, 2026

    Threads posts can now be shared directly to your Instagram Story without leaving the app

    February 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.