Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Transforming Personal Wellness with Professional Care

    February 19, 2026

    Crave announces Canada’s Drag Race: All Stars

    February 19, 2026

    Can We Ride the GenAI Wave Without Getting Subsumed by It? – The Health Care Blog

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»CA Politics»Federal government confirms 25 guns collected in 'buyback' pilot, as Quebec pledges support
    CA Politics

    Federal government confirms 25 guns collected in 'buyback' pilot, as Quebec pledges support

    News DeskBy News DeskJanuary 7, 2026No Comments6 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Federal government confirms 25 guns collected in 'buyback' pilot, as Quebec pledges support
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    OTTAWA

    — With time ticking down until the Liberals launch their long-awaited “buyback” program for government-banned firearms, the federal government confirmed on Wednesday that only 25 guns were turned over as part of a test run. 

    Late Wednesday, Public Safety Canada

    announced the results

    of a six-week pilot program that ran in parts of Cape Breton last fall, which was designed to test the system before it rolled out nationally.

    The pilot had been launched with the intent of collecting up to a maximum of 200 banned guns. The department confirms only 25 were turned in and destroyed.

    In a statement outlining the “lessons learned” from the pilot, the public safety department identified how a clearer registration process would help boost participation and that a “

    significantly longer declaration period” would be in place when the national program launches, as compared to the several weeks gun owners were given during the test period. 

    It also identified “gaps” in the portal gun owners used to register, which it says may have created confusion.

    “The pilot demonstrated that clearer and more timely instructions are required to facilitate participation,” the statement read. 

    The federal government, since 2020, has banned more than 2,500 makes and models of guns it has deemed as being “assault-style” firearms, arguing they are unfit for public use.

    Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government has announced plans to launch the program promised under his predecessor, former prime minister Justin Trudeau, to compensate gun owners with these weapons sometime this month, slightly later than its initial target, which was by the end of last year.

    It had, up until Wednesday, only signed two agreements with Winnipeg and Cape Breton, whose police agreed to collect firearms to be turned over by gun owners under the controversial program.

    That day, the federal government added a province to its list of willing participants: Quebec. The public safety department announced it would compensate Quebec to the tune of $12 million to assist in coordinating collection efforts.

    Quebec is one of several provinces with its own provincial police force, the

    Sûreté du Québec, and is the first province to publicly declare its intention to support the federal program. 

    Simon Lafortune, a spokesman for Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree, said in a statement that “several contribution agreements” remain in the works with both provinces and different police forces.

    “However, it is also important to note that, where able, the federal government will be collecting these weapons through mobile collection units that will be dispatched across the country,” he added.

    Some provinces have outright rejected taking part in the program, such as Ontario.

    Saddam Khussain, a spokesperson for the provincial solicitor general, said in a statement that it shares “the concern” voiced by the Ontario Provincial Police about how the federal policy would not lead to “meaningful public safety results.”

    Alberta Premier Danielle Smith has said much of the same, with Mike Ellis, her United Conservative Party government’s public safety minister, sending letters to provincial police chiefs last month advising them against taking part, including any “contracted RCMP service provider.”

    Robert Freberg, who serves as commissioner of the Saskatchewan Firearm Office, also said Premier Scott Moe’s Saskatchewan Party government would not be directing local police to partake in the program.

    New Brunswick Premier Susan Holt’s Liberal government also decided against striking any kind of a deal with the federal government and requested that police resources not be used.

    “We have decided against a contribution agreement and advised Public Safety Canada accordingly. Provincial involvement is not required for the federal government to implement its own policy,” Robert Gauvin, the provincial public safety minister, said in a statement. 

    “We also asked Public Safety Canada to ensure, as they develop their own plan to implement their compensation program, that active police officers are not used. Police officers’ time is a valuable resource that is better spent on other tasks.”

    The Nova Scotia government says the province has no role in the program, while the British Columbia government said it supports the program and was leaving it up to different police forces to determine their participation.

    Public safety officials told reporters in a not-for-attribution briefing last fall, when the government announced the launch of the pilot program in Cape Breton, that they did not intend to disrupt the day-to-day operations with administering the “buyback” program and that negotiations with police were ongoing.

    While police in Fredericton say they intend to participate in the program,

    Charlottetown city councillors voted last month against their local police doing so. 

    Others say they still need more information.

    In Nova Scotia, New Glasgow Regional Police Chief Ryan Leil wrote in an email that it had “

    not received any formal updates, directives, or operational guidance from the federal government” about participating, or information about how the pilot went in Cape Breton. 

    Around the Greater Toronto Area, Peel police say discussions with the federal government remain ongoing, but that no decisions have been made.

    Police in Durham also say it has yet to make a decision and had agreed to attend working group meetings organized by Public Safety Canada to learn more information before deciding either way.

    Toronto police said its position from last fall that it would review details of the national program once fully announced had not changed.

    Mark Campbell, president of the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police, which represents police leaders across the province, said it had been in contact with federal public safety officials to help provide information about the program to different police in the province.

    Last October, the association released a statement outlining concerns it had heard from police in the province about the impending rollout, from a lack of clarity around the scope and procedures to the fact that resources were already “stretched.”

    Campbell, who heads the

    Strathroy-Caradoc Police Service, said policing leaders also voiced concerns about what would happen once the amnesty period ends this October for firearms owners still in possession of a prohibited firearm. 

    “What expectations would there be on policing organizations who, you know, turn from being gun collectors to, you know, starting or initiating investigations for illegal firearms in your communities,” he said.

    Tracey Wilson, vice-president of public relations and lobbyist for the Canadian Coalition of Firearm Rights, which identifies itself as “Canada’s Gun Lobby,” said that from the start she has viewed the policy as “logistically impossible.”

    She suggested the minister had found himself in a position where “nobody wants to touch this,” not only because of its inherent controversy but because of the fact that many police officers are themselves gun owners.

    “They’re gunnies. They’re in our community,” Wilson said.

    Ken Price, a spokesman for the Danforth Families for Safe Communities, whose daughter was shot during a 2019 shooting in Toronto’s Greektown neighbourhood, said frustration is growing to see the long-promised program finally launched.

    “To take this long, I think it’s disappointing.”

    National Post

    Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our politics newsletter, First Reading, here.

    Gary Anandasangaree Guns Prime Minister Mark Carney
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Politics

    USMCA Travel and Tourism Resiliency Act sponsored by bipartisan group

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Pressure mounts on Quebec justice minister to backtrack on enshrining abortion rights

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Canadians think Trump’s tariffs are only going to get worse: Poll

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Countries that attended Trump’s first Board of Peace meeting in Washington

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Feds put up $50 million for Inuit-led university as part of funding package

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Carney facing calls to send humanitarian aid to Cuba

    February 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Transforming Personal Wellness with Professional Care

    News DeskFebruary 19, 20260

    Chasing that healthy, glowing look has pushed a lot of people to look past what…

    Crave announces Canada’s Drag Race: All Stars

    February 19, 2026

    Can We Ride the GenAI Wave Without Getting Subsumed by It? – The Health Care Blog

    February 19, 2026

    Why these startup CEOs don’t think AI will replace human roles

    February 19, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Croatia tackles the growing problem of mass tourism | Travel

    February 19, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Transforming Personal Wellness with Professional Care

    February 19, 2026

    Crave announces Canada’s Drag Race: All Stars

    February 19, 2026

    Can We Ride the GenAI Wave Without Getting Subsumed by It? – The Health Care Blog

    February 19, 2026

    Why these startup CEOs don’t think AI will replace human roles

    February 19, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Transforming Personal Wellness with Professional Care

    February 19, 2026

    Crave announces Canada’s Drag Race: All Stars

    February 19, 2026

    Can We Ride the GenAI Wave Without Getting Subsumed by It? – The Health Care Blog

    February 19, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.