Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Ricky Ponting predicts Glenn Maxwell’s retirement after Australia’s early exit at T20 World Cup 2026

    February 19, 2026

    Husband Kendall Taylor Reacts To Her Dad’s Allegations

    February 19, 2026

    Ubisoft Toronto lays off 40 employees, Splinter Cell remake still in development

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»CA Politics»Five things to know as New Brunswick prepares for cuts in next month’s budget
    CA Politics

    Five things to know as New Brunswick prepares for cuts in next month’s budget

    News DeskBy News DeskFebruary 19, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Five things to know as New Brunswick prepares for cuts in next month's budget
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Staring down a record deficit of $1.3 billion, the New Brunswick government has warned that virtually every service and program risks facing cuts in next month’s budget.

    For the government to continue investing in areas like health care and education, “we must be prepared to control our expenses and generate new revenues,” Finance Minister René Legacy told reporters earlier this week.

    “The status quo is not sustainable in the long term.”

    The Finance Department has released a list of options to save money or generate new revenue, and it’s calling on New Brunswick residents to send in comments on those ideas by the end of the week.

    Here’s five things to know about New Brunswick’s possible solutions to its budget woes:

    1. How bad is it?

    The $1.3-billion projected deficit is the biggest on record and the fiscal year isn’t over. The Opposition Progressive Conservatives say the numbers could get even worse.

    The last budget from former Tory premier Blaine Higgs’ government in 2024-25 projected $13.3 billion in spending and a $41-million surplus. Premier Susan Holt’s Liberals took power in October of 2024 and, when the final accounting was done, the fiscal year had swung to a $104.4-million deficit.

    Holt’s first budget, for the 2025-26 fiscal year, added about $1 billion in spending for a total of $14.3 billion and projected a $549-million deficit. The red ink has more than doubled since then.

    The province’s net debt was $12.3 billion in March 2025. It’s now projected to rise to $13.9 billion by year’s end. About five per cent of all government revenue, $740 million, is spent just on servicing debt.

    2. What could the government cut?

    Legacy says there’s no one place where the government can save $1 billion, so nipping and tucking just about everything is on the table.

    The Finance Department says the civil service has grown 14 per cent in recent years and the government could shed some of its 13,000 employees. It says reducing contracts with outside consultants could save up to $50 million a year and the province could cut certain grants to non-profits and community groups.

    The government says some provincial roads have been built or upgraded beyond what is justified, and it might create a new policy to align building and maintenance with traffic volumes.

    3. What about health care and education?

    Health care and education combined make up more than half of the provincial budget so trimming the fat without looking at the two departments will be difficult. The next budget will also have to bake in the full-year cost of a new agreement with physicians, estimated around $270 million. Because of timing, only $176 million of the contract is included in the current fiscal year.

    The province says it could shift beds from hospitals to long-term care homes to save money and could also review subsidized vaccines. It mentions eliminating duplication in home-care assessments and streamlining health-care operations while maintaining essential services.

    The province is considering selling off properties and buildings, including schools with fewer than 100 students. Legacy noted Tuesday that about one-third of the province’s schools currently have enrolments of less than 30 per cent of their total capacity.

    “I don’t know if it’s the right mix or the right situation, but we have to ask the question,” he said.

    4. Are taxes going up?

    Legacy suggested Tuesday that New Brunswick taxes are already among the highest in Canada so the government isn’t seriously considering raising them. However, the province says the more than 2,000 service fees it charges for things like permits might be on the way up and new fees may be introduced. It’s also considering a levy on arts and culture tickets, bumping up the cost to lease Crown land and an increase in mining royalties.

    The province is considering overhauling the property tax system, including a review of how it pays property taxes on behalf of universities and how the rural road levee works.

    5. What other measures is the government considering?

    New Brunswick might start charging tolls for out-of-province vehicles. The government has suggested those could be placed at provincial boundaries or on major highways.

    The province notes it collects taxes and fees on products like lottery and gaming, tobacco, alcohol and seafood “with opportunities to further optimize and ensure the province is receiving the associated tax revenues.”

    The government says it could tighten up provincial debt collection and notes the student loan program currently carries more than $125 million in defaults.

    The budget is scheduled for March 17.

    This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 19, 2026.

    Devin Stevens, The Canadian Press

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Politics

    Carney facing calls to send humanitarian aid to Cuba

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Immigrant who came to Canada using a false identity wins another shot at retaining citizenship

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Poll finds 90% in favour of social media age ban, while advocates urge action for online harms

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Alberta’s Smith to address province in live pre-budget TV broadcast

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Alberta Conservatives fume as Edmonton MP Matt Jeneroux jumps ship for the Liberals

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Governors arrive in Washington eager to push past Trump’s partisan grip

    February 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Ricky Ponting predicts Glenn Maxwell’s retirement after Australia’s early exit at T20 World Cup 2026

    News DeskFebruary 19, 20260

    Australia’s underwhelming campaign at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 has not only ended…

    Husband Kendall Taylor Reacts To Her Dad’s Allegations

    February 19, 2026

    Ubisoft Toronto lays off 40 employees, Splinter Cell remake still in development

    February 19, 2026

    Meta anuncia el adiós a estas versiones de la app de mensajería para siempre

    February 19, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Heat, drought and division: climate change in the borderlands

    February 19, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Ricky Ponting predicts Glenn Maxwell’s retirement after Australia’s early exit at T20 World Cup 2026

    February 19, 2026

    Husband Kendall Taylor Reacts To Her Dad’s Allegations

    February 19, 2026

    Ubisoft Toronto lays off 40 employees, Splinter Cell remake still in development

    February 19, 2026

    Meta anuncia el adiós a estas versiones de la app de mensajería para siempre

    February 19, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Ricky Ponting predicts Glenn Maxwell’s retirement after Australia’s early exit at T20 World Cup 2026

    February 19, 2026

    Husband Kendall Taylor Reacts To Her Dad’s Allegations

    February 19, 2026

    Ubisoft Toronto lays off 40 employees, Splinter Cell remake still in development

    February 19, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.