Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Ratcliffe avoids FA charge for immigration comments

    February 20, 2026

    All About Her Father, Mother & Siblings – Hollywood Life

    February 20, 2026

    Threads posts can now be shared directly to your Instagram Story without leaving the app

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Ford calls fixed election dates a ‘fake law’, defends proposed changes
    Canada

    Ford calls fixed election dates a ‘fake law’, defends proposed changes

    News DeskBy News DeskOctober 28, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Ford calls fixed election dates a ‘fake law’, defends proposed changes
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Ontario Premier Doug Ford is defending his plans to scrap fixed election dates and significantly hike donation limits for political parties, calling one of the rules he is scrapping a “fake law.”

    The Ford government announced on Monday afternoon it intended to make major changes to the rules governing elections in Ontario as part of its Fall Economic Statement, including to donations, spending and the date voters head to the polls.

    The latter change would abolish the existing fixed election date for Ontario. Under the current rules, an election would have been held in 2029, four years after Ford’s snap win earlier this year. Instead, the premier will now be able to serve the full constitutional term of up to five years.

    Asked about the change, Ford said he didn’t know if he’d call the next election in three, four or five years.

    Story continues below advertisement

    “As far as this is concerned, that’s a fake law put in by the Liberal government,” he told reporters on Tuesday.

    Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

    Get daily National news

    Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

    “We’re going to move forward and call an election when the time is appropriate. I think it’s up to five years, but could be four, could be three.”

    Ontario’s fixed election dates were enacted about 20 years ago by then-premier Dalton McGuinty. Although the law provided a date for the election, it was still possible for premiers to dissolve the legislature early, as Ford did for February’s snap election, which he won for a third successive majority.


    The changes announced by the Ford government for elections also raised the donations people can make to political parties by almost 50 per cent, to $5,000.

    That’s a move opposition parties and advocates have criticized for increasing the amount of money which can enter provincial politics at a time the Ford government is under scrutiny for how it handed out public dollars through the skills development fund, including to applicants associated with donors and lobbyists.

    Ford, however, said he was increasing the limit to bring Ontario in line with other, higher-donor political races.

    “You can donate $5,000 to a mayoral candidate, why can’t you do it here? It’s very similar to other provinces across the country, so we’re just keeping up to the balance of the other provinces,” he said.

    Story continues below advertisement

    In Toronto, the individual donor limit for mayoral campaigns is actually $2,500.

    The election changes, which will be included in the Fall Economic Statement next month, also include:

    • The per-vote subsidy, which gives public money to political parties based on how many votes they receive, would be made permanent, rather than needing to be regularly extended.
    • Strict spending limits on third-party advocacy groups — for example, unions — and political parties would be eliminated.
    • Tighten the rules around third-party advertising registration and give Ontario’s chief electoral officer more investigative powers to deal with bad actors.
    • Potentially ban political advertising on government property, which would include billboards and transit stations.

    &copy 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



    Ford government Ontario Election Ontario politics politics
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Cross examination continues of fourth complainant in sexual assault trial of Frank Stronach

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    ‘We shoot, we score!’ Canadian junior hockey team sings song of inspriation for Team Canada

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    The Curator: Travel-sized must-haves for March break – National

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Behind the scenes of Diageo’s attempts to soften the blow of an Ontario plant closure

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Montreal is mentioned in the Epstein files hundreds of times. Here’s what we know

    February 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Ratcliffe avoids FA charge for immigration comments

    News DeskFebruary 20, 20260

    Sir Jim Ratcliffe will not face formal disciplinary action from the Football Association following the…

    All About Her Father, Mother & Siblings – Hollywood Life

    February 20, 2026

    Threads posts can now be shared directly to your Instagram Story without leaving the app

    February 20, 2026

    CSK recruit Rahul Chahar announces separation from wife Ishani Johar ahead of IPL 2026

    February 20, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Swipe, eat, regret: How food delivery apps are quietly draining young Americans' wallets

    February 20, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Ratcliffe avoids FA charge for immigration comments

    February 20, 2026

    All About Her Father, Mother & Siblings – Hollywood Life

    February 20, 2026

    Threads posts can now be shared directly to your Instagram Story without leaving the app

    February 20, 2026

    CSK recruit Rahul Chahar announces separation from wife Ishani Johar ahead of IPL 2026

    February 20, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Ratcliffe avoids FA charge for immigration comments

    February 20, 2026

    All About Her Father, Mother & Siblings – Hollywood Life

    February 20, 2026

    Threads posts can now be shared directly to your Instagram Story without leaving the app

    February 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.