Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    February 20, 2026

    ‘American Idol’ Star Chose ‘Homelessness’ After Fame

    February 20, 2026

    Trump’s global tariffs were just struck down by the Supreme Court. Here’s what that means

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Ford government resets housing focus, hoping to turn fortunes around in the spring
    Canada

    Ford government resets housing focus, hoping to turn fortunes around in the spring

    News DeskBy News DeskNovember 15, 2025No Comments5 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Ford government resets housing focus, hoping to turn fortunes around in the spring
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Months after acknowledging that home construction in Ontario was at a “standstill,” the housing minister is hoping the latest set of government interventions will lead to a spring market revival.

    While issues with homebuilding in the province have festered for years, housing starts in 2025 plummeted even further as potential buyers sat on the sidelines, hoping to wait out unaffordable prices, leading to a slump in pre-construction sales.

    The dip has put the Ontario government so far off its mark to build 1.5 million homes that Finance Minister Peter Bethlenfalvy recently acknowledged that the goal is no longer a “hard target.”

    To change the equation, the government tabled another housing bill in October that, taken with other measures, aims to kickstart construction in early 2026.

    “If you take a look at Bill 17 and now Bill 60 … we’re creating the conditions for next spring. We really are setting up for success for next spring,” Flack told Global News.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Bill 17 paved the way for development charge (DC) deferrals — a major change that allows developers to pay municipal fees when the property is handed over to the buyer, rather than when the building permit is issued.

    While the legislation was tabled in early June, regulations that enforce the law were only approved in November, making it mandatory for municipalities to defer the charges.

    “If you have to pay these costly DCs up front, that takes away from being able to get shovels in the ground. It’s costly,” Flack said.


    “It’s hard out there. We’re in a housing crisis, so the more cash flow we can free up for them to get building, the sooner we get more houses built and the cost will come down.”

    Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

    Get daily National news

    Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

    Then, in late October, the province tabled legislation aimed at streamlining approvals and site plan control, which, the province said, would create consistent standards for parking and landscaping requirements, while lowering costs for building.

    The Fall Economic Statement also offered first-time homebuyers a new incentive to get into the market.

    The province announced it would waive the provincial portion of the HST for new homes under $1 million, mirroring the federal plan announced in the Carney government’s November budget.

    The combined incentives, the province said, would save prospective first-time homebuyers up to $130,000 off the cost of a new home.

    Story continues below advertisement

    The Ford government is hoping those measures, coupled with lower interest rates, can breathe new life into a struggling home construction sector.

    “What I’d like to see is more housing starts, more housing projects on the go,” Flack said. “We’re setting it up for next year.”

    The building industry, however, remains skeptical that the plan will actually work.

    “2025 has been a very bleak year for builders in Ontario and, unfortunately, by extension, for home buyers as well,” said Scott Andison with the Ontario Home Builders Association

    Trending Now

    • Wayne Gretzky asserts ‘I’m Canadian’ as he addresses Trump-related backlash

    • Could Canada Post workers strike again ahead of holidays? What we know

    While the Ontario Home Builders Association said the government was finally taking a large system-wide view of housing development and looking for potential barriers to overcome, it’s still missing the mark for 2026.

    “The first-time homebuyer exemption in Ontario will have very little effect, less than five per cent,” Scott Andison said.

    “We need a very specific Ontario-led approach and that is to remove the provincial sales tax off the price of all new home purchases.”

    Andison said the association is pressing the government to “pull the lever” as soon as possible in order to “rejuvenate the industry” in 2026.

    While Premier Doug Ford has expressed interest in extending the sales tax discount on new homes for all buyers for a time-limited period, the finance minister shot down the proposal, citing costs.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Flack, meanwhile, says the work isn’t complete.

    The province has been looking to overhaul its Building Faster Fund, a $1.2 billion pot of money designed to reward municipalities for meeting housing construction targets set by Queen’s Park.

    Mayors complained the program is fundamentally flawed because it focuses on housing starts, which are out of a municipality’s control, rather than permits issued which are firming in a town or city’s domain.

    Flack told Global News that metric, too, is subject to change.

    “We’re working closely with our municipal partners. We want to come up with a new housing, building faster fund. Again, coming up with different metrics that can help support them, support our builders,” Flack said.

    While Flack has shied away from touting the government’s promise to build 1.5 million homes by 2031, any improvement, it seems, is worth the effort.

    “It’s about shovels in the ground, it’s the results, and that’s what we’re trying to create those conditions to see those results.”

    &copy 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



    Ford government Ontario housing Ontario politics politics
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    ‘We shoot, we score!’ Canadian junior hockey team sings song of inspriation for Team Canada

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    The Curator: Travel-sized must-haves for March break – National

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Behind the scenes of Diageo’s attempts to soften the blow of an Ontario plant closure

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Montreal is mentioned in the Epstein files hundreds of times. Here’s what we know

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    NDP leadership candidates pitch their rebuilding plans in final debate – National

    February 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    News DeskFebruary 20, 20260

    By Thomas Laberge The Canadian Press Posted February 20, 2026 10:45 am 1 min read…

    ‘American Idol’ Star Chose ‘Homelessness’ After Fame

    February 20, 2026

    Trump’s global tariffs were just struck down by the Supreme Court. Here’s what that means

    February 20, 2026

    Receiver Dominique Rhymes announces retirement

    February 20, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Trump’s global tariffs were just struck down by the Supreme Court. Here’s what that means

    February 20, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    February 20, 2026

    ‘American Idol’ Star Chose ‘Homelessness’ After Fame

    February 20, 2026

    Trump’s global tariffs were just struck down by the Supreme Court. Here’s what that means

    February 20, 2026

    Receiver Dominique Rhymes announces retirement

    February 20, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    February 20, 2026

    ‘American Idol’ Star Chose ‘Homelessness’ After Fame

    February 20, 2026

    Trump’s global tariffs were just struck down by the Supreme Court. Here’s what that means

    February 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.