Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Free agent number nine target will prioritise move to Barcelona

    February 19, 2026

    EXPLAINED: Did Abhishek Sharma break ICC rules by wearing Mohammed Siraj’s jersey?

    February 19, 2026

    Iam McKellan On Galdalf’s Different Role

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Mexico»In 3 weeks, Plan Michoacán has cut homicides in half
    Mexico

    In 3 weeks, Plan Michoacán has cut homicides in half

    News DeskBy News DeskDecember 1, 2025No Comments6 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    In 3 weeks, Plan Michoacán has cut homicides in half
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The federal government’s efforts to pacify Michoacán with a new “peace and justice” plan are off to a positive start, with homicides declining significantly in November compared to the previous two months.

    At a press conference on Sunday, federal security officials presented an update on the results of Plan Michoacán for Peace and Justice, a 57-billion-peso (US $3.1 billion) initiative that the government devised in response to the Nov. 1 assassination of Uruapan mayor Carlos Manzo and general insecurity in the state.

    Wellbeing Minister Ariadna Montiel shared on Friday that a state-wide census of nearly 1.3 million homes is underway as part of Plan Michoacán
    Wellbeing Minister Ariadna Montiel shared on Friday that a state-wide census of nearly 1.3 million homes is underway as part of Plan Michoacán. (Mario Jasso/Cuartoscuro)

    The plan — under which additional federal troops were deployed to Michoacán — was unveiled on Nov. 9, and has now been in effect for three weeks.

    On Sunday, National Defense Minister Ricardo Trevilla Trejo reported that there were 58 homicides in Michoacán between Nov. 1 and Nov. 28, representing a decline of almost 50% compared to the number of murders in each of September and October.

    The reduction compared to the 111 homicides recorded in September is 47.7%, while the decline compared to the 108 murders in October is 46.3%.

    Morelia and Uruapan, Michoacán’s two largest cities, are among the municipalities where homicides declined in November.

    Morelia, the state capital, recorded 3 homicides between Nov. 1 and 28, a decline of 86% compared to the 22 murders registered across the month of October.

    Uruapan, considered the world’s “avocado capital,” recorded eight homicides in the first 28 days of last month, a reduction of 60% compared to the 20 registered in October.

    Trevilla noted that an additional 1,980 federal troops were deployed to Michoacán last month, bringing the total number of troops on the ground in the state to 10,506. He also highlighted that the federal government’s security operations in the state are supported by more than 1,000 military vehicles, five helicopters and 18 drones, among other equipment.

    In addition, Trevilla said that the Mexican Army will provide more than 1,000 G3 rifles to the Michoacán state police, and 70 to police in Uruapan, where military engineers will build National Guard barracks.

    Trevilla speakingTrevilla speaking
    During a national security press conference on Sunday, Trevilla announced that the Mexican Army will build a National Guard barracks in Uruapan. (Daniel Augusto/Cuartoscuro)

    The defense minister said that the decision to build the new barracks came after a Nov. 13 meeting with Uruapan Mayor Grecia Quiroz — who replaced her husband as mayor after his assassination — and the municipality’s public security chief.

    135 arrests in Michoacán since new plan took effect 

    Trevilla reported that 135 people were detained in Michoacán between Nov. 10 and Nov. 28.

    Among those arrested are an alleged Jalisco New Generation Cartel leader who authorities identified as a mastermind of the assassination of Manzo, and seven of eight municipal police officers who were tasked with protecting the now-deceased mayor.

    Trevilla outlined a range of other results achieved by Plan Michoacán for Peace and Justice in the past three weeks. They included:

    • The seizure of 57 firearms and almost 7,000 cartridges.
    • The seizure of 444.5 kilograms of narcotics and 28,800 liters of “chemical substances intended for the production of synthetic drugs, mainly methamphetamine.”
    • The seizure of 110 vehicles and 89 improvised explosive devices.
    • The seizure of 629,055 pesos (US $34,445).
    • The destruction of “eight camps occupied by organized crime.”

    More than 900 arrests in Michoacán for ‘high-impact’ crimes during Sheinbaum administration 

    Federal Security Minister Omar García Harfuch reported that 932 people have been arrested in Michoacán for “high-impact” crimes since President Claudia Sheinbaum took office on Oct. 1, 2024.

    Among the offenses classified as high-impact crimes are murder, kidnapping, rape and extortion.

    Federal Security Minister Omar García Harfuch leads a major crackdown on high-impact crimes in Mexico. (Daniel Augusto/Cuartoscuro)

    García Harfuch also reported that almost 23 tonnes of drugs have been seized in Michoacán since Sheinbaum became president, while 924 firearms have been confiscated and 17 methamphetamine laboratories have been dismantled.

    The Pacific coast state is one of Mexico’s most violent, with over 1,100 homicides in the first 10 months of 2025.

    Beyond gun violence, extortion targeting producers of avocados, limes and other crops is a major problem in Michoacán, the hub of Mexico’s lucrative avocado industry. The state is also coveted by crime groups because precursor chemicals used to make synthetic drugs, including fentanyl, are illegally imported via the Lázaro Cárdenas port on the Pacific coast.

    García Harfuch stressed that security in Michoacán is “a national priority.”

    “We’re working with intelligence, coordination and zero impunity to recover peace in each municipality,” he wrote on social media on Sunday.

    Sinaloa Cartel operative killed by navy 

    At Sunday’s press conference, Navy Minister Raymundo Morales announced that two members of the “Chapo Isidro” faction of the Sinaloa Cartel had been detained in Sinaloa.

    Another alleged member of that faction, Pedro “El Pichón” Insunza Coronel, was killed by navy personnel during an anti-cartel operation in the northern state. On social media, García Harfuch wrote:

    “In an operation led by the Navy Ministry, … properties and laboratories were located where weapons, vehicles, drugs and precursor chemicals were seized, and two operators of this criminal cell were detained. Upon attacking naval personnel, Pedro ‘N,’ Pichón, lost his life.”

    Insunza, identified as a high-ranking operative in the Sinaloa Cartel faction led by Fausto Isidro Meza Flores (aka El Chapo Isidro), was wanted in the United States, along with his father, Pedro Inzunza Noriega.

    En una operación encabezada por la Secretaría de Marina @SEMAR_mx mediante labores de investigación. Se ubicaron inmuebles y laboratorios donde se aseguraron, armas, vehículos, drogas, precursores químicos, se detuvieron a dos operadores de esta célula delictiva y al agredir al…

    — Omar H Garcia Harfuch (@OHarfuch) November 30, 2025

    “Pedro Inzunza Noriega and his son, Pedro Inzunza Coronel, are charged with narco-terrorism, drug trafficking and money laundering as key leaders of the Beltran Leyva Organization (BLO), a powerful and violent faction of the Sinaloa Cartel that is believed to be the world’s largest known fentanyl production network,” the U.S. Department of Justice said in May.

    It noted that an indictment against the two men was “the first in the nation to charge alleged leaders of the Sinaloa Cartel with narco-terrorism and material support of terrorism in connection with trafficking massive amounts of fentanyl, cocaine, methamphetamine and heroin into the United States.”

    U.S. Ambassador to Mexico Ron Johnson acknowledged the death of Inzunza Coronel in a social media post.

    “Congratulations to the Mexican Security Cabinet on their successful operation in Michoacán against the Sinaloa Cartel. Pedro ‘N’ (Pichón) was killed and two other cartel members were arrested in a major operation conducted by Mexican Naval Forces to seize illegal narcotics, vehicles, laboratories, weapons, and chemical precursors,” he wrote.

    “Pichón was accused of multiple crimes in Mexico including murders, kidnappings, torture, and violent collection of drug debts. He was also wanted in the U.S. for multiple crimes.”

    With reports from Milenio



    el pichón national guard plan Michoacán plan michoacán homicides
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Mexico

    Sheinbaum hopes US will drop steel and aluminum tariffs after USTR hints at ‘adjustments’: Wednesday’s mañanera recapped

    February 18, 2026
    Mexico

    After 15 years in Mexico City, Netflix opens new offices in Polanco

    February 18, 2026
    Mexico

    US authorities return 11 Mexican parrots seized at border

    February 18, 2026
    Mexico

    Could Mexico make America great again? The path forward

    February 18, 2026
    Mexico

    Number of counterfeit pesos in circulation hits 3-year high

    February 18, 2026
    Mexico

    Isla Pasión is TripAdvisor’s ‘Best Beach in the World’

    February 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Free agent number nine target will prioritise move to Barcelona

    News DeskFebruary 19, 20260

    Juventus forward Dusan Vlahovic has made his wishes clear on where he would like his…

    EXPLAINED: Did Abhishek Sharma break ICC rules by wearing Mohammed Siraj’s jersey?

    February 19, 2026

    Iam McKellan On Galdalf’s Different Role

    February 19, 2026

    Scandal deepens for Estepona mayor as plush restaurant he handed to son’s girlfriend ‘doesn’t have licence or pay any fees’

    February 19, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025

    EU countries clash with Brussels over banking mergers – POLITICO

    July 2, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Free agent number nine target will prioritise move to Barcelona

    February 19, 2026

    EXPLAINED: Did Abhishek Sharma break ICC rules by wearing Mohammed Siraj’s jersey?

    February 19, 2026

    Iam McKellan On Galdalf’s Different Role

    February 19, 2026

    Scandal deepens for Estepona mayor as plush restaurant he handed to son’s girlfriend ‘doesn’t have licence or pay any fees’

    February 19, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Free agent number nine target will prioritise move to Barcelona

    February 19, 2026

    EXPLAINED: Did Abhishek Sharma break ICC rules by wearing Mohammed Siraj’s jersey?

    February 19, 2026

    Iam McKellan On Galdalf’s Different Role

    February 19, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.