Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Transforming Personal Wellness with Professional Care

    February 19, 2026

    War-hammered Gaza needs basics like homes, roads and power. FIFA is offering a $50M soccer stadium

    February 19, 2026

    Crave announces Canada’s Drag Race: All Stars

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»CA Politics»In leaked audio, minister doubts police can enforce gun 'buy-back,' says Carney is sticking with it because of Quebec
    CA Politics

    In leaked audio, minister doubts police can enforce gun 'buy-back,' says Carney is sticking with it because of Quebec

    News DeskBy News DeskSeptember 22, 2025No Comments6 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    In leaked audio, minister doubts police can enforce gun 'buy-back,' says Carney is sticking with it because of Quebec
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    OTTAWA — Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree says he doubts local police will have the resources to enforce the Liberals’ mandatory gun “buy-back” program and that the reason Prime Minister Mark Carney is sticking with the policy is to appease voters in Quebec.

    That’s according to a roughly 20-minute conversation the minister had on Sunday with a tenant, which the minister says is authentic but was recorded without his knowledge and then circulated by a “gun lobbyist.”

    In the recording, which was circulated to

    National Post

    as well as other media outlets, Anandasangaree reveals to the man he is speaking with that the federal government will announce the next phase of the program on Tuesday and unveil a pilot that will roll out in Cape Breton.

    The Liberals had planned to move ahead this fall with the next phase of the program, which would cover individuals who own one of the 1,500 “assault-style firearms” former prime minister Justin Trudeau banned in the wake of the deadly 2020 mass shooting in Nova Scotia.

    “Don’t ask me to explain the logic on this to you, OK,” the minister tells the individual he is speaking with, after revealing the date of the forthcoming announcement, adding that the person “may not be happy” with the news.

    The individual, who identifies himself as a gun owner, repeatedly questions the minister on the policy. At one point, Anandasangaree offers to pay him the difference in compensation and even bail him out of jail, given that the person informs him that he will not hand over his property.

    🚨BREAKING!!!🚨Audio recordings of the Public Safety Minister talking about the “buyback” confiscation program:
    ▶️launches Tuesday with pilot project in Cape Breton ▶️money pot “capped” at $742M, after it’s exhausted you get nothing ▶️admits if he had to start over they’d scrap… pic.twitter.com/V3FbTQ31lA

    — Tracey Wilson (@TWilsonOttawa) September 21, 2025

    Under the Liberal program, which the government has already launched for businesses, individuals who own one of the 1,500 “assault-style” firearms banned by the government would be mandated to hand over their guns in exchange for compensation.

    The Liberals added another 200 models to that prohibited list earlier this year.

    According to Public Safety Canada, businesses had submitted claims for nearly 12,200 of these prohibited

    firearms as of April 2025. 

    Anandasangaree has publicly acknowledged that the amnesty, which has been in place since 2020, protecting businesses and individuals from criminal liability, would be extended beyond October 2025, but has yet to detail how long.

    While the

    Liberals have always said the program would be mandatory

    , Anandasangaree repeatedly emphasized it was “voluntary.”

    At one point, the individual suggests to the minister that police would have to come to his home to collect his firearms and place him in handcuffs.

    “I doubt very much it’s going to go that far,” Anandasangaree says. “I just don’t think municipal police services have the resources to do this.”

    Last week, the minister acknowledged to reporters that the Ontario Provincial Police would not be participating in the program.

    At another point in the recorded conversation, Anandasangaree said the program’s budget of $742 million would be “capped.”

    He also suggested the government would not reach that budgeted amount.

    Throughout the recorded conversation, Anandasangaree does not appear to be defending the need for the program, but explains why Carney’s government chose to stick with it, given the widespread backlash from firearms owners, First Nations, and criticism from the Opposition Conservatives and premiers like Alberta Premier Danielle Smith.

    “Like I’m picking up where it was left off, right?” Anandasangaree said. “This is the mandate I was given by Carney to complete this … and not revisit this.”

    “That’s my objective, right? Just put an end to this and move on with other additional criminal justice tools,” some of which he lists out, including bail and stiffer penalties for those who have unlicensed firearms.

    “Going forward, it will be a different approach, OK,” the minister says. “This is completing something that was started five years ago.”

    Asked by the man whether he has spoken to Carney about the policy, Anandasangaree said that he has had “constant, constant discussions” on the next steps, and the government decided to stick with it, given it was a promise made during the spring election campaign

    Pressed again by the person about why the party won’t break the campaign promise, Anandasangaree said it was because of Liberal voters in Quebec.

    “Quebec is in a different place than other parts of Canada, right? And this is something that (is) very much a big, big, big deal for many of the Quebec electorate that voted for us,” Anandasangaree said.

    “That’s one of the major things.”

    Near the end of the conversation, Anandasangaree says if he were to “redo” the policy, from the beginning, “I would have a very different approach.”

    In a statement to

    National Post

    , Anandasangaree defends the conversation by saying his comments to the individual were “misguided.”

    “I make a point to speak with Canadians who do not support our approach, to listen to their concerns and ensure they understand their options in this voluntary buyback program. In trying to address this individual’s frustrations, my comments were misguided,” he said in a statement.

    “Anyone who knows me or has worked with me knows how seriously I take my job. No one should be mistaken about my unequivocal support for the program.”

    Gun-control group PolySeSouvient, whose name refers to the 1989 Ecole Polytechnique shooting, called the minister’s comments “unfortunate,” saying they “detract” from how a majority of Canadians believe that “assault-style firearms” have no place in the community.

    “PolySeSouvient expects the Carney government to keep its promises to Canadians and implement (phase two) of the buyback program, and to do it as soon as possible,” it said in a statement.

    Anandasangaree repeated much of the same when pressed on his comments in the House of Commons on Monday by Opposition Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre.

    Poilievre and the Conservatives have long argued against the program, calling it a waste of taxpayer dollars and an ineffective strategy to deal with rising gun violence, given that it targets lawful gun owners.

    Poilievre told MPs on Monday that the minister, in his own words, “has admitted it won’t work.”

    “The Minister’s comments were unfortunate because they detract from the fact that the 
    majority of Canadians
     strongly oppose civilian ownership of assault-style firearms which are designed for military or tactical purposes and want these weapons out of our communities. PolySeSouvient expects the Carney government to keep its promises to Canadians and implement Phase 2 of the buyback program, and to do it as soon as possible.”

    National Post

    Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our politics newsletter, First Reading, here.



    assault firearms Guns Prime Minister Mark Carney
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Politics

    War-hammered Gaza needs basics like homes, roads and power. FIFA is offering a $50M soccer stadium

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    USMCA Travel and Tourism Resiliency Act sponsored by bipartisan group

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Pressure mounts on Quebec justice minister to backtrack on enshrining abortion rights

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Canadians think Trump’s tariffs are only going to get worse: Poll

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Countries that attended Trump’s first Board of Peace meeting in Washington

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Feds put up $50 million for Inuit-led university as part of funding package

    February 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Transforming Personal Wellness with Professional Care

    News DeskFebruary 19, 20260

    Chasing that healthy, glowing look has pushed a lot of people to look past what…

    War-hammered Gaza needs basics like homes, roads and power. FIFA is offering a $50M soccer stadium

    February 19, 2026

    Crave announces Canada’s Drag Race: All Stars

    February 19, 2026

    Can We Ride the GenAI Wave Without Getting Subsumed by It? – The Health Care Blog

    February 19, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    War-hammered Gaza needs basics like homes, roads and power. FIFA is offering a $50M soccer stadium

    February 19, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Transforming Personal Wellness with Professional Care

    February 19, 2026

    War-hammered Gaza needs basics like homes, roads and power. FIFA is offering a $50M soccer stadium

    February 19, 2026

    Crave announces Canada’s Drag Race: All Stars

    February 19, 2026

    Can We Ride the GenAI Wave Without Getting Subsumed by It? – The Health Care Blog

    February 19, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Transforming Personal Wellness with Professional Care

    February 19, 2026

    War-hammered Gaza needs basics like homes, roads and power. FIFA is offering a $50M soccer stadium

    February 19, 2026

    Crave announces Canada’s Drag Race: All Stars

    February 19, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.