Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Resumen semanal de la ley de deportes y entretenimiento de K&C – Febrero de 2026 #3

    February 17, 2026

    Happ, Suzuki: No Recent Extension Talks With Cubs

    February 17, 2026

    Former DND official says defence spending ‘nowhere near what we need’

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»CA Politics»Liberals cancelling Trudeau-era plan to plant two-billion trees
    CA Politics

    Liberals cancelling Trudeau-era plan to plant two-billion trees

    News DeskBy News DeskNovember 3, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Liberals cancelling Trudeau-era plan to plant two-billion trees
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government will be ending a program to plant two billion trees as part of its whole-of-government spending review to find billions of dollars worth of savings.

    A senior government official confirmed that the budget to be presented on Tuesday will bring an end to the program, which

    was launched under former prime minister Justin Trudeau

    .

    The official confirmed the government’s existing contracts would be honoured. In August, Natural Resources Canada said the contracts already signed would see nearly 1 billion trees planted.

    Specifically, the department said that as of June, 988 million trees had been committed to be planted through various agreements with provinces, cities, First Nations, as well as other Indigenous and environmental organizations.

    Ending the two-billion-tree program will be one of the measures set to be detailed when the government presents the results of what it has called its “Comprehensive Expenditure Review,” which

    Finance Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne initiated earlier this year.

    It asked government departments to find 15 per cent worth of savings over the next three years.

    The Globe and Mail was the first to report that the program would be ending.

    Reining in government spending was something Carney had promised during the April federal election campaign. He seeks to inject billions more into defence spending and provide relief to sectors hardest hit by U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs, as well as spur more private sector investment, particularly in major infrastructure projects, in an effort to boost Canada’s economy in the midst of a trade war.

    The cancellation of the tree-planting program also comes as Carney is set to unveil a new “climate competitiveness strategy,” which he outlined in

    a recent public speech at the University of Ottawa

    , saying it would “focus on results over objectives.”

    Carney’s government has so far not voiced a commitment to reach Canada’s emission-reduction targets for 2030 and 2035, which would see the country reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by

     40 to 45 per cent below 2005 levels, and by 45 to 50 per cent below the same level, respectively. 

    His government has maintained that it intends to keep its goal of reaching net-zero emissions by 2050.

    During the recent federal election campaign, Carney campaigned on strengthening the government’s industrial carbon pricing system, known as its output-based pricing system, which is expected to feature prominently in his upcoming climate competitiveness strategy.

    The Canadian Climate Institute, a think-tank which has studied the goverment’s efforts,

    released a report in September

    saying that reaching the country’s 2030 target was no longer achievable, citing a delay and rolling back of both federal and provincial policies, combined with plans to expand the production of liquified natural gas and continued oil and gas production.

    In 2024, the federal

    Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development warned that the government’s efforts were insufficient to meet its 2030 target. 

    The commissioner had, in an audit in 2023, also flagged concerns about the delays to the rollout of the two-billion-tree planting program and pointed out that it was not likely to lead to a reduction in emissions.

    Planting two billion trees over 10 years was a more than $3-billion commitment Trudeau had made during the 2019 federal election campaign as one of the nature-based approaches within the larger Liberal climate plan.

    The Opposition Conservatives have for years criticized the Liberals’ progress on that commitment. The program was formally launched in 2021 and by late 2024 had reported planting approximately 160 million trees.

    National Post

    • Ottawa says it’s taking Stellantis subsidy contract to dispute resolution after production moved to U.S.
    • Young Canadians anxiously await federal budget after Carney warns of ‘sacrifices’

    Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our politics newsletter, First Reading, here.

    Discover Federal budget 2025 mark carney two billion trees
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Politics

    Former DND official says defence spending ‘nowhere near what we need’

    February 17, 2026
    CA Politics

    Prosecutors drop racketeering case against New Jersey Democratic power broker, co-defendants

    February 17, 2026
    CA Politics

    Ottawa kept people on Canada’s no-fly list without ‘necessary grounds’: spy watchdog

    February 17, 2026
    CA Politics

    Israeli team reacts to Swiss commentator remarks about Gaza ‘genocide’

    February 17, 2026
    CA Politics

    'It’s a dependency': Carney touts diversifying defence procurement beyond the U.S. in new strategy

    February 17, 2026
    CA Politics

    Canada has ‘relied too heavily’ on other countries for protection, Carney says

    February 17, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Resumen semanal de la ley de deportes y entretenimiento de K&C – Febrero de 2026 #3

    News DeskFebruary 17, 20260

    Deportes: Entretenimiento: DEMANDAS DE LOS RICOS Y FAMOSOS Un juez federal de Manhattan desestimó una…

    Happ, Suzuki: No Recent Extension Talks With Cubs

    February 17, 2026

    Former DND official says defence spending ‘nowhere near what we need’

    February 17, 2026

    Quebec ski resort given green light to open week after Ottawa girl’s death

    February 17, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Mexico, Canada announce joint economic action plan for a post-USMCA future

    February 17, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Resumen semanal de la ley de deportes y entretenimiento de K&C – Febrero de 2026 #3

    February 17, 2026

    Happ, Suzuki: No Recent Extension Talks With Cubs

    February 17, 2026

    Former DND official says defence spending ‘nowhere near what we need’

    February 17, 2026

    Quebec ski resort given green light to open week after Ottawa girl’s death

    February 17, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Resumen semanal de la ley de deportes y entretenimiento de K&C – Febrero de 2026 #3

    February 17, 2026

    Happ, Suzuki: No Recent Extension Talks With Cubs

    February 17, 2026

    Former DND official says defence spending ‘nowhere near what we need’

    February 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.