Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Transforming Personal Wellness with Professional Care

    February 19, 2026

    Crave announces Canada’s Drag Race: All Stars

    February 19, 2026

    Can We Ride the GenAI Wave Without Getting Subsumed by It? – The Health Care Blog

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»CA Politics»Liberals say more than 22,000 government-banned guns declared in first week of 'buyback' launch
    CA Politics

    Liberals say more than 22,000 government-banned guns declared in first week of 'buyback' launch

    News DeskBy News DeskJanuary 26, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Liberals say more than 22,000 government-banned guns declared in first week of 'buyback' launch
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    OTTAWA

    — The federal Liberal government says gun owners have so far declared their willingness to turn over more than 22,000 firearms in exchange for money under its newly launched compensation program. 

    The figure, released by Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree’s office, comes one week after the controversial “buyback” program opened for declarations, targeting the more than 2,500 makes and models of firearms the Liberals have banned since 2020.

    Simon LaFortune, a spokesman for the minister, confirmed that as of Monday afternoon it had received declarations for 22,251 of these weapons.

    Gun owners have until the end of March to declare their willingness to participate in the program.

    After that, the federal government has given firearms owners until the end of October when an amnesty period shielding them from liability is set to expire to get rid their banned guns either by turning them over to police or having them deactivated.

    Anandasangaree has warned impacted gun owners to heed the upcoming deadlines and for those willing to take part in its compensation program to submit their declarations early to increase their chances of receiving compensation, which he said would be doled out on “

    a first-come, first-serve basis.”

    That has led to increased concerns from firearms groups which oppose the policy that eligible gun owners may not receive adequate compensation for their property.

    Federal public safety officials say the government intends to rollout the actual collection of these firearms by working with local police, RCMP and deploying mobile collection units.

    So far, it has struck agreements with police in Winnipeg, Cape Breton, N.S. and Halifax to help, same with the Quebec government which has pledged to assist with the coordination of collection efforts, inking a $12-million agreement with the federal government to do so.

    Other police services, namely those around the Greater Toronto Area, have rejected taking part.

    On Monday, the Durham Regional Police was the latest to release a statement from its police chief indicating it would not help “at this time.”

    “Significant gaps remain within the program, including insufficient operational clarity and resources to support safe and effective implementation,” reads a statement from Durham police chief Peter Moreira.

    The head of the New Brunswick police chiefs association also signalled that police lack the resources to take part, with

    Saint John Police Chief Robert Bruce downplaying the role police may play when it comes to targeting banned guns that may not be turned over.

    “We’re not going looking for you,” he told the Telegraph-Journal newspaper. 

    In a statement released on Monday, the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police underscored how a lack of consensus exists among provinces about the initiative, with some police leaders expressing concerns around capacity.

    “Police leaders continue to emphasize that while the (program) may help reduce the availability of domestically sourced prohibited firearms, the program may not align with current policing priorities, including the illegal importation, trafficking, smuggling and criminal use of firearms,” it reads.

    “For this reason, police services remain focused on disrupting criminal networks and preventing crime by deploying limited resources where they will have the greatest and most immediate impact on public safety.”

    National Post

    Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.

    assault firearms Gary Anandasangaree Guns Prime Minister Mark Carney
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Politics

    USMCA Travel and Tourism Resiliency Act sponsored by bipartisan group

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Pressure mounts on Quebec justice minister to backtrack on enshrining abortion rights

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Canadians think Trump’s tariffs are only going to get worse: Poll

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Countries that attended Trump’s first Board of Peace meeting in Washington

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Feds put up $50 million for Inuit-led university as part of funding package

    February 19, 2026
    CA Politics

    Carney facing calls to send humanitarian aid to Cuba

    February 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Transforming Personal Wellness with Professional Care

    News DeskFebruary 19, 20260

    Chasing that healthy, glowing look has pushed a lot of people to look past what…

    Crave announces Canada’s Drag Race: All Stars

    February 19, 2026

    Can We Ride the GenAI Wave Without Getting Subsumed by It? – The Health Care Blog

    February 19, 2026

    Why these startup CEOs don’t think AI will replace human roles

    February 19, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Croatia tackles the growing problem of mass tourism | Travel

    February 19, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Transforming Personal Wellness with Professional Care

    February 19, 2026

    Crave announces Canada’s Drag Race: All Stars

    February 19, 2026

    Can We Ride the GenAI Wave Without Getting Subsumed by It? – The Health Care Blog

    February 19, 2026

    Why these startup CEOs don’t think AI will replace human roles

    February 19, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Transforming Personal Wellness with Professional Care

    February 19, 2026

    Crave announces Canada’s Drag Race: All Stars

    February 19, 2026

    Can We Ride the GenAI Wave Without Getting Subsumed by It? – The Health Care Blog

    February 19, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.