Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Azmatullah Omarzai’s all round heroics inspires Afghanistan to a thrilling victory against UAE in T20 World Cup 2026

    February 16, 2026

    An Islamist party becomes Bangladesh’s main opposition for the first time : NPR

    February 16, 2026

    Spain bids farewell to month of constant storms

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Sports»US Sports»Mariners, Giants “Front-Runners” For Brendan Donovan
    US Sports

    Mariners, Giants “Front-Runners” For Brendan Donovan

    News DeskBy News DeskDecember 14, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Mariners, Giants "Front-Runners" For Brendan Donovan
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The Mariners and Giants have emerged as front-runners in the sweepstakes for super-utility man Brendan Donovan, according to a report from Katie Woo of The Athletic. Woo added that both clubs are also engaged with the Diamondbacks on Ketel Marte.

    Both Seattle and San Francisco have previously been reported to have interest in Donovan’s services, which Woo notes the Cardinals are seeking multiple top prospects in exchange for. With that being said, they were often mentioned as just two of many teams interested in the versatile infielder; Donovan’s market has been said to encompass more than half the league, with the Pirates, Royals, Guardians, and Astros standing among the other teams that have been connected to him this winter.

    That makes the Mariners’ and Giants’ “front-runner” status a notable shift in the status quo, and Woo goes as far as to mention specific prospect names being discussed with both clubs. In talks with Seattle, Woo reports that the Cardinals have discussed top pitching prospect Jurrangelo Cijntje and outfielder Lazaro Montes. The pair are Seattle’s #7 and #3 prospects, respectively, according to MLB Pipeline. In talks with the Giants, Woo writes that the names of infielder Gavin Kilen and southpaw Carson Whisenhunt have come up. Kilen is San Francisco’s #2 prospect per Pipeline, while Whisenhunt ranks #7.

    Cijntje has garnered some buzz around the baseball industry due to his status as a switch pitcher who throws from both the right and left sides. He’s a more well-regarded pitcher from the right-hand side, touching the upper 90s with his right arm but being relegated to the low 90s with his left. In his pro debut in 2025, Cijntje pitched to a 3.99 ERA overall across the High-A and Double-A levels but actually got better after his promotion. In seven starts at Double-A, Cijntje turned in a 2.67 ERA across 33 2/3 innings of work with a 25.5% strikeout rate and an 11.0% walk rate.

    Montes entered the 2025 season as a consensus top-100 prospect in the sport but scuffled a bit after being promoted to the Double-A level. He hit a solid but unspectacular .213/.319/.433 in 64 games at the level with a 30.5% strikeout rate. That’s hardly exciting production, but some of those struggles can be forgiven considering he was one of just four hitters under the age of 21 to reach 200 plate appearances in the Texas League last year, joined by Sebastian Walcott, Walker Jenkins, and teammate Michael Arroyo.

    Kilen was San Francisco’s first-round pick in the 2025 draft. As a result, he has just ten professional games under his belt where he hit a lackluster .205/.279/.282. With that said, the University of Tennessee product hit an incredible .357/.441/.671 in his final collegiate season and was roundly viewed as a plus contact hitter despite questions about his power potential and ability to handle shortstop at the big league level.

    As for Whisenhunt, the 25-year-old already made his big league debut earlier this year with a 5.01 ERA across five starts. While it was hardly an exciting pro debut, Whisenhunt did manage to post a 4.41 ERA in 21 starts in Triple-A’s Pacific Coast League despite the extremely unfriendly environment for pitchers at that level. He profiles as a possible mid-rotation arm with a profile carried by a plus-plus changeup.

    Of course, it’s possible that these are only a handful of prospects St. Louis is discussing with the two suitors. It should also be noted that Donovan is far from the only avenue either club is pursuing for their vacancy at second base. The Mariners had been in rather public pursuit of a reunion with Jorge Polanco until he signed with the Mets yesterday, but they’ve still be connected to Marte in addition to Donovan. Woo suggests that Polanco’s departure could leave the Mariners more motivated to make a deal in the coming days, and perhaps that could indicate that Seattle is the more aggressive suitor of the two.

    Woo describes the Giants, by contrast, as “exploring all options” as they look to upgrade over Casey Schmitt and Tyler Fitzgerald at second base. In addition to Marte, Brandon Lowe is also known to be available on the trade market while teams have also inquired after Cubs infielder Nico Hoerner. The infield market in free agency is tilted more towards the left side, but Alex Bregman has expressed a willingness to play second base in the past, shortstop Ha-Seong Kim has experience at the position, and Bo Bichette has long been viewed as a potential candidate to move off shortstop at some point. San Francisco hasn’t been directly tied to any of those players, of course, but all stand out as at least plausible acquisitions to be made by a team searching for second base help.

    brendan donovan carson whisenhunt gavin kilen jurrangelo cijntje ketel marte lazaro montes
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    US Sports

    Azmatullah Omarzai’s all round heroics inspires Afghanistan to a thrilling victory against UAE in T20 World Cup 2026

    February 16, 2026
    US Sports

    Australia draft Steve Smith as Josh Hazlewood’s replacement ahead of their T20 World Cup 2026 clash against Sri Lanka

    February 16, 2026
    US Sports

    Former NFL All-Pro guard Tre’ Johnson dies at 54

    February 16, 2026
    US Sports

    Arundhati Reddy’s fiery bowling powers India to emphatic win over Australia in rain-hit first Women’s T20I

    February 16, 2026
    US Sports

    WATCH: Hardik Pandya, Suryakumar Yadav lose cool at Kuldeep Yadav during IND vs PAK T20 World Cup 2026 showdown

    February 16, 2026
    US Sports

    U.S. Figure Skating doesn’t appeal Chock and Bates’ ice dance results

    February 16, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Azmatullah Omarzai’s all round heroics inspires Afghanistan to a thrilling victory against UAE in T20 World Cup 2026

    News DeskFebruary 16, 20260

    In Group D encounter at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, Afghanistan secured a nail-biting…

    An Islamist party becomes Bangladesh’s main opposition for the first time : NPR

    February 16, 2026

    Spain bids farewell to month of constant storms

    February 16, 2026

    Night King Review

    February 16, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    An Islamist party becomes Bangladesh’s main opposition for the first time : NPR

    February 16, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Azmatullah Omarzai’s all round heroics inspires Afghanistan to a thrilling victory against UAE in T20 World Cup 2026

    February 16, 2026

    An Islamist party becomes Bangladesh’s main opposition for the first time : NPR

    February 16, 2026

    Spain bids farewell to month of constant storms

    February 16, 2026

    Night King Review

    February 16, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Azmatullah Omarzai’s all round heroics inspires Afghanistan to a thrilling victory against UAE in T20 World Cup 2026

    February 16, 2026

    An Islamist party becomes Bangladesh’s main opposition for the first time : NPR

    February 16, 2026

    Spain bids farewell to month of constant storms

    February 16, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.