Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Vinicius Junior angry with Jose Mourinho after racism incident

    February 20, 2026

    dimite el director general que escondió seis meses los vídeos del Cecopi

    February 20, 2026

    Harbour elige a David Brown como EP, VFX Entertainment – Celebrity Land

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»NDP leadership committee blocks Bianca Mugyenyi’s candidacy
    Canada

    NDP leadership committee blocks Bianca Mugyenyi’s candidacy

    News DeskBy News DeskJanuary 29, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    NDP leadership committee blocks Bianca Mugyenyi’s candidacy
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Author, activist, and journalist Bianca Mugyenyi’s application to be a candidate in the NDP leadership race has been rejected by the party’s anonymous three person leadership committee.

    In a statement to rabble.ca the party accused Mugyenyi of not being an independent candidate.

    “After reviewing the application submitted by Bianca Mugyenyi, the Leadership Vote Committee determined that it did not meet the eligibility standards that apply to every applicant, including the requirement that candidates run independently and that allowing it to proceed would undermine the fairness, integrity, and credibility of the leadership race,” the statement reads.

    rabble asked the NDP for specific evidence that Mugyenyi was not an independent candidate.

    In a statement, the NDP said:

    “In this case, the Committee determined that the application constituted a proxy candidacy because it was publicly framed as contingent on the rejection of another applicant. That framing did not meet the standards of independence, integrity, and professionalism required of leadership applicants under the Rules.”

    rabble asked the party to cite the specific rules under which Mugyenyi was disqualified and have not received a response.

    Mugyenyi is the wife of activist, author, and journalist Yves Engler, who himself ran for, and was disqualified from, the NDP leadership race late last year.

    Mugyenyi announced her intent to run for the NDP leadership after Engler was disqualified, explaining that there were issues in the leadership race that no other candidates were talking about that needed a voice.

    “I stepped forward to carry a shared vision, a shared platform that was built collectively, and that is democracy,” Mugyenyi said.

    “I am my own candidate”

    In a press conference held on Thursday, January 29, Mugyenyi explained that the rejection of her candidacy application on the grounds that she was not “independent” was insulting.

    She said that the NDP leadership committee had implied that she was merely a proxy for Engler as a way for him to continue his own campaign.

    “They say that I’ve run because I’m a proxy. It is so false. It’s so insulting. I am my own candidate,” she said.

    Mugyenyi blasted the leadership committee, characterizing their rationale for her disqualification as racist and sexist.

    “It’s misogyny and in this case, misogynoire; the assumption that our voices aren’t fully ours, that our leadership must belong to somebody else,” she said. “I reject that completely. I stand here on my own record, on my own work, on my own convictions, and I stepped forward because this race was never about a personality. It was about ideas. We’ve said that over and over and over again. It was about a direction and it was about trusting members to choose, and I think that belief is stronger than ever, and I think that’s what we’ve built.”

    For years Mugyenyi has been involved in activism and organizing on the left.

    “I spent more than two decades organizing social movements in this country. I’m a journalist. I’m an author, co-founded the Canadian Foreign Policy Institute and directed it,” she said. “I co-founded the LEAP, which many who are involved in this race are very familiar … I helped launch the LEAP manifesto and got it prominent across this country,” she said.

    Issues will be carried forward to the convention

    Despite launching her campaign much later than any other candidate in the race, Mugyenyi had been able to raise the $100,000 entry fee.

    Engler had raised the $100,000 entry fee himself before his candidacy was disqualified. Mugyenyi’s entrance fee was raised again separately after she announced her candidacy.

    Engler said that this was clear evidence of the grassroots support that was out there for the ideas their campaign was running on.

    “Whether we would have won this race, I don’t know, but there we would definitely have been in the top three in this NDP leadership race,” he said.

    Despite not being allowed to run, Mugyenyi, Engler, and other members of the movement they have helped lead said that they will be at the NDP party convention in March.

    “This fight is far from over. We are going to continue this fight right to the convention. We will be there in numbers. We will be on the convention floor. We will be at the mics. We will be fighting for democracy in this party at every step,” said Mike Palecek, a former president of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers who has been a vocal supporter of both Mugyenyi and Engler.

    Palecek added that the fight is also continuing behind closed doors. He alluded to a letter that was allegedly sent to the NDP federal council about Mugyenyi that he characterized as libelous, but he would not disclose who the author of that letter was.

    “There was a letter sent to the federal council yesterday by a certain individual. I won’t name that individual because I’d like to give the council a chance to deal with this themselves, but that in that letter was frankly libelous,” said Palecek.

    “They accused us of attempting to mislead the council and not playing fair with the facts,” he added. “I would just say that if this individual had an ounce of the integrity that Bianca does, they would have resigned the day after the election.”

    Bianca Mugyenyi NDP Leadership 2026
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    NDP leadership candidates pitch their rebuilding plans in final debate – National

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    ‘What are they hiding?’: Okanagan mom denied son’s medical records after his suicide

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Surrey police budget slashed by $47M with union sounding the alarm – BC

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announces fall referendum on immigration, constitutional questions

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Drew Wolitarsky signs contract to retire with Winnipeg Blue Bombers – Winnipeg

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Canadian men’s hockey gold medal up for auction

    February 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Vinicius Junior angry with Jose Mourinho after racism incident

    News DeskFebruary 20, 20260

    Real Madrid star Vinicius Junior has received support from around the world of football since…

    dimite el director general que escondió seis meses los vídeos del Cecopi

    February 20, 2026

    Harbour elige a David Brown como EP, VFX Entertainment – Celebrity Land

    February 20, 2026

    Meet Auqib Nabi: The Jammu & Kashmir speedster who drove his team to a historic maiden Ranji Trophy final

    February 20, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025

    EU countries clash with Brussels over banking mergers – POLITICO

    July 2, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Vinicius Junior angry with Jose Mourinho after racism incident

    February 20, 2026

    dimite el director general que escondió seis meses los vídeos del Cecopi

    February 20, 2026

    Harbour elige a David Brown como EP, VFX Entertainment – Celebrity Land

    February 20, 2026

    Meet Auqib Nabi: The Jammu & Kashmir speedster who drove his team to a historic maiden Ranji Trophy final

    February 20, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Vinicius Junior angry with Jose Mourinho after racism incident

    February 20, 2026

    dimite el director general que escondió seis meses los vídeos del Cecopi

    February 20, 2026

    Harbour elige a David Brown como EP, VFX Entertainment – Celebrity Land

    February 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.