Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    February 20, 2026

    ‘American Idol’ Star Chose ‘Homelessness’ After Fame

    February 20, 2026

    Receiver Dominique Rhymes announces retirement

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Ontario ‘adjudicating’ more tariff loan applications, only $100M handed out so far
    Canada

    Ontario ‘adjudicating’ more tariff loan applications, only $100M handed out so far

    News DeskBy News DeskNovember 7, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Ontario ‘adjudicating’ more tariff loan applications, only $100M handed out so far
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Eight months after winning an election on the promise to shield the province from the impacts of United States President Donald Trump, the Ford government has only handed out $100 million from its signature Protect Ontario Account.

    The Fall Economic Statement, tabled Thursday, confirmed Ontario has given $100 million from a $1 billion fund to tariff-battered Algoma Steel, but has not finalized agreements with any other companies.

    Finance Minister Peter Bethlenfalvy insisted the money was rolling out as fast as possible, saying more companies were in line to benefit.

    “It hasn’t been slow at all,” he told reporters on Thursday. “In fact, we opened up the application process and, of course, a number of companies have applied and we’ve been in the process of adjudicating those applications and we’ll be having some announcements real soon.”

    The $1 billion program — part of a broader $5 billion plan — was included in the Progressive Conservative platform for February’s snap election, confirmed in the spring budget and officially launched in August.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Officials have described the $1 billion as “an emergency backstop for Ontario businesses that have exhausted available funding.” When it was launched, Bethlenfalvy said it would offer loans ranging from $250,000 to $40 million.

    For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

    Get breaking National news

    For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

    The Fall Economic Statement, however, confirmed the government had given $100 million to Algoma Steel from the fund. The Ministry of Finance said higher loans were always available through the plan but required more stringent approvals, which Algoma passed.

    “That’s what it’s there for — to provide companies that are really impacted by the 50 per cent tariff on steel and aluminum, the tariffs on the auto sector,” the finance minister said.


    “So, that’s one fund that we’re using to support workers, to support businesses.”

    Asked if the terms of the fund were too narrow for many provincial businesses, Bethlenfalvy said it was a “fair question,” adding there are other relief measures available.

    “It’s not the only place that they can draw down funds,” he said. “The federal government has a lot of programs, we also have a lot of other programs.”

    Trending Now

    • Intercepted communications link Indian government to B.C. Sikh leader’s assassination

    • Conservative MP Matt Jeneroux resigns from House of Commons ahead of budget vote

    The Canadian Federation of Independent Business, for example, has complained many of its members simply don’t have the resources or time to trawl through government applications to see what they’re eligible for.

    Story continues below advertisement

    They’ve advocated for direct relief through rebates or tax changes to soften the impact of tariffs on their members.

    “Small businesses need more direct measures like WSIB surplus rebates to help them weather the tariff storm and unpredictable economy,” the group wrote in a statement after the Fall Economic Statement was released.

    “They don’t have the time or resources to search and apply for programs for which they end up being ineligible.”

    Elsewhere, the government is touting the success of its Ontario Together Fund.

    That pot of $50 million was set up for provincial companies to “enhance resilience, strengthen capacity, build local supply chains in Ontario and expand market reach.”

    Bethlenfalvy said $48 of the $50 had already been allocated, with the government adding an extra $100 million to the fund as part of the fall economic statement.

    “We acted early and we continue to act,” he said.

    &copy 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



    donald trump tariffs Ford government Ontario politics politics
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    ‘We shoot, we score!’ Canadian junior hockey team sings song of inspriation for Team Canada

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    The Curator: Travel-sized must-haves for March break – National

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Behind the scenes of Diageo’s attempts to soften the blow of an Ontario plant closure

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Montreal is mentioned in the Epstein files hundreds of times. Here’s what we know

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    NDP leadership candidates pitch their rebuilding plans in final debate – National

    February 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    News DeskFebruary 20, 20260

    By Thomas Laberge The Canadian Press Posted February 20, 2026 10:45 am 1 min read…

    ‘American Idol’ Star Chose ‘Homelessness’ After Fame

    February 20, 2026

    Receiver Dominique Rhymes announces retirement

    February 20, 2026

    Jordan Westburg Diagnosed With Partial UCL Tear

    February 20, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    February 20, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    February 20, 2026

    ‘American Idol’ Star Chose ‘Homelessness’ After Fame

    February 20, 2026

    Receiver Dominique Rhymes announces retirement

    February 20, 2026

    Jordan Westburg Diagnosed With Partial UCL Tear

    February 20, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    February 20, 2026

    ‘American Idol’ Star Chose ‘Homelessness’ After Fame

    February 20, 2026

    Receiver Dominique Rhymes announces retirement

    February 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.