Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    February 20, 2026

    ‘American Idol’ Star Chose ‘Homelessness’ After Fame

    February 20, 2026

    Trump’s global tariffs were just struck down by the Supreme Court. Here’s what that means

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Ontario ponders making impaired drivers who kill parents pay child support
    Canada

    Ontario ponders making impaired drivers who kill parents pay child support

    News DeskBy News DeskNovember 18, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Ontario ponders making impaired drivers who kill parents pay child support
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The Ford government says it is working on new measures which could force impaired drivers who are found guilty of killing a parent or guardian to pay “ongoing” child support.

    The suggestion was dropped unexpectedly on Tuesday morning and will be part of the “narrative” rolled out with the upcoming justice legislation, but the government won’t table concrete plans in the near future.

    The province teased the idea of copying a 2023 Texas law, which means drivers convicted of “intoxication manslaughter” who killed a child’s parent or guardian must pay child support until they turn 18 or graduate from high school.

    So far, Attorney General Doug Downey has offered few details of how the new rules would work. The government said it was “developing” the rules and would be “exploring” the best way to introduce the change.

    It’s unclear when internal discussions of the idea began or when they could lead to meaningful policy.

    Story continues below advertisement

    “We’re actively engaged already, we put the news release out to say we’re bringing legislation next week on a variety of issues, and this will be launched with that bill,” he said. “This will kick-start the discussion to determine exactly how we’re going to do this.”

    For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

    Get breaking National news

    For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

    The Ford government has previously made changes for those found guilty of impaired driving, including a lifetime driving ban for people found guilty of impaired driving causing death.

    Those charged with a first impaired driving offence will have to install an ignition interlock device in their vehicle and go through mandatory training, the province said.


    Those changes are already written into legislation, while the idea of making impaired drivers pay child support remains a topic of potential consultation.

    “The conversations are happening in real time and I’ll have more to say shortly,” Downey said.

    “When a drunk driver takes an innocent life, it imposes a life sentence on the family left behind, especially the children who are suddenly without a parent,” said Minister of Transportation Prabmeet Sarkaria

    Trending Now

    • Premiers hint at ‘significant’ tariff relief to come after Carney meeting

    • Cloudflare outage knocks out parts of internet as work underway on fix

    Separately, since the COVID-19 pandemic, the province has offered deals for those charged with impaired driving offences where there was no damage to people or property.

    Downey said his ministry has an “almost zero” tolerance for drunk driving.

    Story continues below advertisement

    “It was a COVID measure to help deal with issues that we were having in that period, and it’s under active review right now,” he said of the policy to downgrade charges.

    The rules have been in place since 2021.


    Click to play video: '‘No excuse for driving drunk’: Ontario announces new legislation against impaired driving'

    1:46
    ‘No excuse for driving drunk’: Ontario announces new legislation against impaired driving


    &copy 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



    Ford government Impaired Driving Ontario politics politics
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    ‘We shoot, we score!’ Canadian junior hockey team sings song of inspriation for Team Canada

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    The Curator: Travel-sized must-haves for March break – National

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Behind the scenes of Diageo’s attempts to soften the blow of an Ontario plant closure

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    Montreal is mentioned in the Epstein files hundreds of times. Here’s what we know

    February 20, 2026
    Canada

    NDP leadership candidates pitch their rebuilding plans in final debate – National

    February 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    News DeskFebruary 20, 20260

    By Thomas Laberge The Canadian Press Posted February 20, 2026 10:45 am 1 min read…

    ‘American Idol’ Star Chose ‘Homelessness’ After Fame

    February 20, 2026

    Trump’s global tariffs were just struck down by the Supreme Court. Here’s what that means

    February 20, 2026

    Proven Methodologies For Ensuring Seamless CRM Migrations In Highly Regulated Environments

    February 20, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Proven Methodologies For Ensuring Seamless CRM Migrations In Highly Regulated Environments

    February 20, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    February 20, 2026

    ‘American Idol’ Star Chose ‘Homelessness’ After Fame

    February 20, 2026

    Trump’s global tariffs were just struck down by the Supreme Court. Here’s what that means

    February 20, 2026

    Proven Methodologies For Ensuring Seamless CRM Migrations In Highly Regulated Environments

    February 20, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Quebec justice minister withdraws article on abortion rights in constitution bill – Montreal

    February 20, 2026

    ‘American Idol’ Star Chose ‘Homelessness’ After Fame

    February 20, 2026

    Trump’s global tariffs were just struck down by the Supreme Court. Here’s what that means

    February 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.