Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Fans go wild as Jofra Archer’s all-round show storms RR into IPL 2026 Playoffs

    May 24, 2026

    Brighton v Manchester United: Commentary, updates, goals and stats

    May 24, 2026

    What Time Does the 2026 Indy 500 Start? When to Tune Into the Race – Hollywood Life

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Sunday, May 24
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Over $5M in donations flowed in after the Lapu-Lapu Day attack. Here’s where it went
    Canada

    Over $5M in donations flowed in after the Lapu-Lapu Day attack. Here’s where it went

    News DeskBy News DeskMay 24, 2026No Comments6 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Over $5M in donations flowed in after the Lapu-Lapu Day attack. Here's where it went
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Millions of dollars in donations flowed in after last year’s car-ramming attack at the Lapu-Lapu Day Festival in Vancouver that killed 11 and injured dozens.

    A CBC News analysis found more than $5.5 million was raised by United Way B.C., Filipino B.C., the Archdiocese of Vancouver, the Red Cross and more than two dozen GoFundMe campaigns.

    But families and survivors say too much of the money went to third-party organizations and community programs, rather than directly to the people injured or bereaved.

    “Donations were made by the public in good faith, with the clear expectation that financial support would directly benefit victims and families,” wrote Vanessa Hill in a May 13 letter to United Way B.C. on behalf of survivors obtained by CBC.

    Hill’s boyfriend, AJ Sico, suffered a traumatic brain injury and stroke and requires ongoing medical care. AJ’s cousin, Jendhel May Sico, was killed.

    Hill questioned why most of the $1.65 million raised through United Way B.C.’s Kapwa Strong Fund was allocated to “intermediary organizations” rather than direct financial assistance for victims. Those grants supported initiatives including mental health counselling, art therapy and revitalizing a basketball court.

    “Many victims and families have not been contacted, consulted, or meaningfully engaged by several of the organizations receiving and administering funds,” Hill wrote.

    In its initial appeal, United Way said it would provide “immediate assistance, counseling & trauma services, and other critical support” for those devastated by the traumatic event.

    One month later, United Way B.C. opened grant applications for charities and non-profits while individuals seeking support were directed to BC211 or its helpline.

    Now, its website says the fund was “intentionally designed to support medium- and long‑term recovery, which is where United Way B.C. plays its strongest and most appropriate role.”

    United Way B.C. said it splits its emergency responses between immediate needs and long-term supports, which “tend to be overlooked.” It told CBC all the money in its Kapwa Strong Fund has been distributed.

    But Kate Bahen, managing director of Charity Intelligence Canada, says the public messaging at the time of the appeal constitutes a “promise to the donors” that charities are obligated to fulfill.

    “[United Way B.C.] is a granting organization, yet that is in conflict with, when the tragedy happened, what it promised to do. It promised to meet the immediate needs of those impacted by the tragedy,” Bahen said.

    She said charities must consult survivors on spending priorities after a tragedy.

    “At the end of the day, it was the outpouring of emotions from all Canadians to support these families,” she said. “It almost becomes a revictimization or a re-exploitation when those promises are not met.”

    Grants came at ‘expense of victims’

    The biggest recipient of United Way funds was Filipino B.C., through designated donations and a grant to support its “transition from volunteer-driven organization.”

    Filipino B.C. did not provide CBC a spending breakdown, but said the money supported “temporary housing, medical and dental care, mental health services, food security, travel” for victims and their families.

    WATCH | Government support lacking:

    Filipino B.C. chair says Lapu-Lapu Day victims need more government aid

    The chair of Filipino B.C., RJ Aquino, is calling for more government support for the victims of Vancouver’s Lapu-Lapu Day festival tragedy. He said survivors and victims’ families are still struggling six months after the killings.

    Though it has referred to itself as a charity in past reports and interviews, Filipino B.C. is not yet a charity. It says it expects confirmation about its charitable status application this summer.

    “In the absence of coordinated provincial leadership, our organization was thrust into responsibilities that would ordinarily fall to government agencies during a mass‑casualty response,” it said in a statement to CBC.

    Blaine Redlac’s partner, Jendhel May Sico, was among those killed. He says it was Filipino B.C.’s “ethical obligation” to help fill gaps in urgent medical and rehabilitative care for victims and their families.

    “They did not,” said Redlac, who lost his leg in the attack and now suffers from severe PTSD. “They only made it more challenging.”

    WATCH | ‘Government needs to step in’:

    Festival attack survivor says victims weren’t consulted in grant allocations

    Blaine Redlac, who suffers from PTSD after his partner was killed in the Lapu-Lapu Day tragedy, says grants towards community gatherings and events ‘came at the expense of victims’ receiving time-sensitive care.

    Redlac wants the government to intervene.

    “No disrespect to any of these organizations that took the money,” he said, “But … that came at the expense of victims like AJ Sico getting time-sensitive care.”

    Several board members resigned from Filipino B.C. in December, including Tony Ortega, who left over financial transparency concerns and reports that victims were receiving “little or no support.” He says AJ Sico needs $60,000 for medical treatment in the U.S. that isn’t available in Canada.

    Cash has ‘far more impact’

    United Way B.C. said it focused on long-term community healing because other platforms and government programs were already offering direct financial support to victims.

    “That’s the gap that we filled, taking our cue from community leaders.”

    But research has shown that money spent on short-term response has “far more impact,” Bahen said.

    “The evidence clearly states that direct cash transfers to victims is the best way.”

    WATCH | Charities must deliver on promises:

    Why this charity expert says charities need to be consistent

    Kate Bahen, managing director of Charity Intelligence Canada, says it’s problematic United Way BC raised money for the immediate needs of Lapu-Lapu festival attack victims, then shifted toward longer-term initiatives.

    That’s the approach of the Canadian Red Cross, which told CBC that 80 per cent of the money it raised has already been disbursed to “families who lost loved ones or to individuals who were hospitalized as a result of the tragic events,” with the remaining funds to be released “when they are ready to be received.”

    Likewise, GoFundMe said donations to its verified campaigns were “delivered directly to the designated beneficiaries, the families and individuals impacted.”

    A fund started by the Sico family earlier this year is supporting AJ’s long-term care.

    Other community organizations and provincial politician Mable Elmore have called on Kapwa Strong Fund grant recipients to redirect any unused funds to victims.

    One, the Maple Bamboo Network Society, told CBC it has $3,500 it plans to return.

    United Way B.C. said unused funds would go to United Filipino Canadian Associations in B.C. (UFCABC), a coalition of more than 65 societies that received over $332,000 for direct distribution to individuals.

    The coalition told CBC it has a “long list of pre-approved victims in our database who have not received financial help.”

    Congregants enter a cathedral in Vancouver ahead of a memorial mass.
    Congregants enter a memorial mass for victims of the Lapu-Lapu Day festival attack at Holy Rosary Cathedral in Vancouver, B.C., in May 2025. The Archdiocese of Vancouver says it raised $400,000 in donations for survivors, 60 per cent of which are still available. (Ethan Cairns/CBC)

    In April, Filipino B.C. received the remaining $166,000 in designated donations from United Way B.C. It has hired accounting firm MNP to conduct an independent audit and promised to publicly release the findings and its annual report.

    The Archdiocese of Vancouver told CBC it raised approximately $400,000 in its ongoing appeal and distributed 40 per cent of these funds. Individuals and organizations can apply for a grant for food and medical expenses, it said.


    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Russia hits Kyiv with ballistic missile, damages buildings and schools – National

    May 24, 2026
    Canada

    The Curator: Hot sleeper? These cooling bed essentials can help you sleep better – National

    May 24, 2026
    Canada

    Protesters rally against planned AI data centres in Vancouver

    May 24, 2026
    Canada

    Hicks scores two TDs as Argos bounce Tiger-Cats

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Gunshots reported outside the White House, U.S. officials confirm – National

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Jury finishes 3rd full day of deliberations with no verdict in Dean Penney murder trial

    May 23, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Fans go wild as Jofra Archer’s all-round show storms RR into IPL 2026 Playoffs

    News DeskMay 24, 20260

    The Wankhede Stadium erupted into a frenzy on Sunday night as the Rajasthan Royals (RR)…

    Brighton v Manchester United: Commentary, updates, goals and stats

    May 24, 2026

    What Time Does the 2026 Indy 500 Start? When to Tune Into the Race – Hollywood Life

    May 24, 2026

    Russia hits Kyiv with ballistic missile, damages buildings and schools – National

    May 24, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Fans go wild as Jofra Archer’s all-round show storms RR into IPL 2026 Playoffs

    May 24, 2026

    Jelly Roll Accuser Responds To Recent Police Share

    April 24, 2026

    Madonna’s new album-promo effort puts her 0 feet away from Grindr users

    April 24, 2026

    Hear Lucy Dacus’ Record Store Day song “Planting Tomatoes”

    April 24, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Fans go wild as Jofra Archer’s all-round show storms RR into IPL 2026 Playoffs

    May 24, 2026

    Brighton v Manchester United: Commentary, updates, goals and stats

    May 24, 2026

    What Time Does the 2026 Indy 500 Start? When to Tune Into the Race – Hollywood Life

    May 24, 2026

    Russia hits Kyiv with ballistic missile, damages buildings and schools – National

    May 24, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Fans go wild as Jofra Archer’s all-round show storms RR into IPL 2026 Playoffs

    May 24, 2026

    Brighton v Manchester United: Commentary, updates, goals and stats

    May 24, 2026

    What Time Does the 2026 Indy 500 Start? When to Tune Into the Race – Hollywood Life

    May 24, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.