It looks like Rockstar will give one terminally ill Canadian the chance to see Grand Theft Auto VI early before they pass.
On LinkedIn, Ubisoft Toronto developer Anthony Armstrong had posted about a family member with cancer who was given 6-12 months to live. Since his family member is a big GTA fan and lives close to Rockstar Toronto (which is actually located in Oakville), Armstrong hoped that someone in his network could get him in touch with developer Rockstar to set up an “exclusive playtest” before they passed. Now, in a recent update to his original post, Armstrong said he’d been in contact with Rockstar and got “great news.”
However, he didn’t elaborate and actually deleted the original post, likely for confidentiality reasons. Nonetheless, the mention of “great news” suggests that Rockstar will give the fan some sort of early look at GTA VI. The game is currently set to launch on November 19, 2026 following multiple delays, although many are still skeptical, given that we still haven’t actually seen much of the game.
Nonetheless, it’s nice to hear about Rockstar working something out with the cancer patient. That said, should also be noted that this good PR for Rockstar comes amid heavy criticism towards the company. Since last year, unions have been protesting over Rockstar’s termination of 34 workers, three of which were based at the Oakville studio. Rockstar was accused of union-busting with these firings, while the company claimed they had carried out “gross misconduct” by leaking company secrets, although it hasn’t provided any evidence of this.
UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer called the firings “deeply concerning” and promised to look into them. Meanwhile, Ontario’s Minister of Labour David Piccini told CBC News that workers in the province “have the right to raise concerns about their workplace.”
It remains to be seen what will come out of these disputes.
Image credit: Rockstar Games
Via: Eurogamer
