Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Blue Jays Notes: Schneider, Varsho, Jimenez

    February 22, 2026

    No. 5 UConn second-half spurt overpowers Villanova

    February 22, 2026

    Families gather for Wanuskewin’s 6th annual Kôna Winter Festival – Saskatoon

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Sunday, February 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Mexico»SICT will fix cracks in Cancún’s Nichupté Bridge before it opens
    Mexico

    SICT will fix cracks in Cancún’s Nichupté Bridge before it opens

    News DeskBy News DeskJanuary 16, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    SICT will fix cracks in Cancún's Nichupté Bridge before it opens
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Mexico’s Infrastructure, Communications and Transportation Ministry (SICT) has committed to reinforcing Cancún’s Nichupté Bridge after videos and photos circulating on social media revealed visible cracks in the concrete joints of the yet-to-be-inaugurated infrastructure project.

    Following the circulation of images showing fissures in the unions between concrete blocks that make up the bridge, SICT announced it will strengthen the structure and conduct dynamic and static resistance tests before the bridge enters operation, according to El Economista.

    A map showing the location of a new bridge in Cancún, Quintana Roo
    The bridge cuts across the Nichupté lagoon, granting quicker access to Cancún’s hotel zone. (Gobierno de México)

    Guido Mendiburu Solís, SICT delegate in Quintana Roo, said the bridge structure poses no risk to users. Nonetheless, he said four additional support pillars and a metal beam will be constructed at at least three support points throughout the concrete structure as reinforcement measures.

    Some parts of the structure have settled, Mendiburu said, because the bridge was built in an area with high karsticity, a geological feature of limestone areas prone to sinkholes.

    “It is not structural damage, but before it is inaugurated we will conduct load tests, both with moving and static vehicles, to verify that the work fulfills the objective for which it was designed,” the official explained.

    The images shared by social media users this month show pronounced cracks and irregularities in concrete joints, particularly in sections of the traffic distributor connecting Bonampak Avenue and Luis Donaldo Colosio Boulevard, according to local news outlet Expediente Quintana Roo. The photos also reveal fissures on lower and lateral surfaces of the structure, as well as areas with cracked concrete and chipped edges, generating concern among drivers and local residents about the structural safety of the megaproject.

    El Puente Nichupté, en Cancún, Quintana Roo, será uno de los puentes más largos de América Latina sobre una laguna. Su construcción beneficiará a más de 1.3 millones de habitantes y a 20 millones de turistas que visitan la zona anualmente. 🏖️ pic.twitter.com/nHGqFwbkSl

    — SICT México (@SICTmx) January 8, 2026

    The 11.2-kilometer Nichupté Bridge, which officials had previously announced would open this month, has been plagued by delays since construction began in 2022. Originally proposed in 2006 as part of Cancún’s 2030 Strategic Plan for Sustainable Development, the project languished for 16 years before work finally commenced.

    With the bridge scheduled to be inaugurated by the end of this month, builders are coming down to the wire, with Mendiburu reporting that construction is 93% complete.

    The bridge will feature three lanes in each direction on its main section with one reversible lane, a bike path and pedestrian walkway. It is designed to reduce transit times between the city center and hotel zone by up to 45 minutes by crossing a portion of the Nichupté lagoon and avoiding the most congested traffic areas. Officials say it will benefit an average of 1.3 million residents and more than 20 million tourists annually, and have promised that there will be no tolls.

    With reports from El Economista and Expediente Quintana Roo


    This story was written by a Mexico News Daily staff editor with the assistance of Claude, then revised and fact-checked before publication.



    Cancún Nichupté Bridge infrastructure damage transportation infrastructure
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Mexico

    Sheinbaum says no to US Board of Peace

    February 21, 2026
    Mexico

    MND Tutor | Año Chino

    February 21, 2026
    Mexico

    The MND News Quiz of the Week: February 21st

    February 21, 2026
    Mexico

    MND Local: Is San Miguel de Allende about to receive passenger rail service?

    February 21, 2026
    Mexico

    Confidently Wrong interviews Escuela Vasconcelos

    February 21, 2026
    Mexico

    Uber Eats wants to save Mexico City’s spiciest salsas

    February 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Blue Jays Notes: Schneider, Varsho, Jimenez

    News DeskFebruary 22, 20260

    John Schneider has “had some discussions about” a long-term extension with the Blue Jays, the…

    No. 5 UConn second-half spurt overpowers Villanova

    February 22, 2026

    Families gather for Wanuskewin’s 6th annual Kôna Winter Festival – Saskatoon

    February 22, 2026

    Major update for Tumbler Ridge victim 12-year-old Maya Gebala

    February 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Families gather for Wanuskewin’s 6th annual Kôna Winter Festival – Saskatoon

    February 22, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Blue Jays Notes: Schneider, Varsho, Jimenez

    February 22, 2026

    No. 5 UConn second-half spurt overpowers Villanova

    February 22, 2026

    Families gather for Wanuskewin’s 6th annual Kôna Winter Festival – Saskatoon

    February 22, 2026

    Major update for Tumbler Ridge victim 12-year-old Maya Gebala

    February 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Blue Jays Notes: Schneider, Varsho, Jimenez

    February 22, 2026

    No. 5 UConn second-half spurt overpowers Villanova

    February 22, 2026

    Families gather for Wanuskewin’s 6th annual Kôna Winter Festival – Saskatoon

    February 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.