Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    President Sheinbaum urges calm after CJNG’s El Mencho killed

    February 22, 2026

    Canada wins silver in men’s hockey at the 2026 Olympics

    February 22, 2026

    Floyd Mayweather Announces Unretirement From Boxing

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Sunday, February 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»CA Politics»Smith pitches new pipeline to B.C. coast, promises plan coming to Ottawa by 2026
    CA Politics

    Smith pitches new pipeline to B.C. coast, promises plan coming to Ottawa by 2026

    News DeskBy News DeskOctober 1, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Smith pitches new pipeline to B.C. coast, promises plan coming to Ottawa by 2026
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    OTTAWA

    — Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says she hopes to see a new oil pipeline her government is pitching to British Columbia’s northern coast on the next list of nation-building projects from Prime Minister Mark Carney. 

    Smith announced on Wednesday that her United Conservative Party government will lead the project through the planning stages as the proponent, with the assistance of a technical working group comprised of industry representatives, including three major energy companies: South Bow, Enbridge, and Trans Mountain.

    Her move inches Carney’s government one step closer to having to decide whether to greenlight the construction of a new oil pipeline under the process his government ushered in to fast-track the approval of major energy and infrastructure projects.

    Alberta’s goal is to submit its application to the new federal Major Projects Office no later than May 2026. That office has the mandate of helping proponents secure the necessary approvals through a more streamlined approach.

    So far, an oil pipeline has not made it onto the federal government’s list of nation-building projects, which include expanding a

    liquefied natural gas terminal and two projects for mining critical minerals. Carney has promised that a second batch of projects will be announced by mid-November, which could include expanding the Port of Churchill in northern Manitoba. 

    Critics have argued that when it comes to the question of approving a new pipeline, no proponents have yet come forward, rendering the question of whether Carney’s government should consider doing so moot.

    Meanwhile, supporters, including Smith herself, blame a suite of federal Liberal energy policies, such as the emissions cap and tanker ban off B.C.’s northern coast, for blocking development.

    Smith has called on Carney to scrap those policies, but also expressed a hopefulness in working with the prime minister, who has voiced an openness to seeing a new pipeline built, saying he wants to transform Canada into an “energy superpower.”

    In a technical briefing before the official announcement, Alberta government officials emphasized that no company has yet come forward as a proponent and that a specific route has yet to be determined, but that it could run from Edmonton to Kitimat or Prince Rupert, B.C.

    The ultimate goal from Alberta, provincial officials said, was for a private proponent to take on the project, but said the government was leading the planning phase because no company was ready to do so, given past unsuccessful attempts to get one built, from Energy East to Keystone XL and the Northern Gateway projects.

    The officials also clarified that talks have been ongoing for several weeks with the federal government and that Carney’s government was aware that Alberta would be coming forward as a proponent, as was B.C.’s government, which supports the oil tanker ban off its coast.

    During a news conference, Smith said she phoned B.C. NDP Premier David Eby about her proposal.

    Speaking before Smith’s announcement, Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the federal government would wait and see what the Alberta government proposes, saying he would not respond to hypotheticals.

    “I’ve been participating, and the prime minister has been leading very constructive discussions with Premier Smith and the Government of Alberta about the importance of the Alberta economy to Canada’s economic strength, including the energy sector, including conventional energy sources,” he told reporters earlier on Wednesday.

    Heritage Minister Steven Guilbeault, who previously served as environment minister under former prime minister Justin Trudeau, told reporters that for a project to be included on the federal list of nation-building projects, it must be more than an “idea.”

    He added that for a pipeline to be run through B.C.’s northern coast, the provincial government and First Nations along the route would have to agree.

    More to come … 

    Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our politics newsletter, First Reading, here.

    Alberta Government B.C. pipeline tanker ban
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Politics

    Never Trump Republicans are still issuing dire warnings. Is anyone listening?

    February 22, 2026
    CA Politics

    Trump's hockey gold medal celebration caps a politically charged Olympics in Milano-Cortina

    February 22, 2026
    CA Politics

    A policy wonk who wants Nancy Pelosi’s House seat is unafraid of a fight

    February 22, 2026
    CA Politics

    TSA says PreCheck still operational after previous announcement of suspension during funding fight

    February 22, 2026
    CA Politics

    The Latest: Armed man shot, killed after entering perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, Secret Service says

    February 22, 2026
    CA Politics

    Nationwide events mark four years since Russian invasion of Ukraine

    February 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    President Sheinbaum urges calm after CJNG’s El Mencho killed

    News DeskFebruary 22, 20260

    President Claudia Sheinbaum urged Mexicans to remain calm and stay well-informed after a federal operation…

    Canada wins silver in men’s hockey at the 2026 Olympics

    February 22, 2026

    Floyd Mayweather Announces Unretirement From Boxing

    February 22, 2026

    Bonnie Blue Says She’s Pregnant After Having Unprotected Sex With 400 Men

    February 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Floyd Mayweather Announces Unretirement From Boxing

    February 22, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    President Sheinbaum urges calm after CJNG’s El Mencho killed

    February 22, 2026

    Canada wins silver in men’s hockey at the 2026 Olympics

    February 22, 2026

    Floyd Mayweather Announces Unretirement From Boxing

    February 22, 2026

    Bonnie Blue Says She’s Pregnant After Having Unprotected Sex With 400 Men

    February 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    President Sheinbaum urges calm after CJNG’s El Mencho killed

    February 22, 2026

    Canada wins silver in men’s hockey at the 2026 Olympics

    February 22, 2026

    Floyd Mayweather Announces Unretirement From Boxing

    February 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.