Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Blue Jays Notes: Schneider, Varsho, Jimenez

    February 22, 2026

    No. 5 UConn second-half spurt overpowers Villanova

    February 22, 2026

    Major update for Tumbler Ridge victim 12-year-old Maya Gebala

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Sunday, February 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Business & Economy»US Business & Economy»Tesla still has to pay $243 million over fatal Autopilot crash, judge rules
    US Business & Economy

    Tesla still has to pay $243 million over fatal Autopilot crash, judge rules

    News DeskBy News DeskFebruary 20, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Tesla still has to pay $243 million over fatal Autopilot crash, judge rules
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    A federal judge has ruled that Tesla is still required to pay $243 million over a 2019 crash involving a Tesla equipped with Autopilot, despite the company’s efforts to overturn the verdict. 

    In August 2025, a jury found Tesla liable for the death of Naibel Benavides Leon, a 22-year-old woman who was killed when George McGee, who was driving a Tesla Model S, drove through an intersection while he bent to look for his dropped phone. 

    The crash occurred in Key Largo, Florida, in 2019. McGee’s vehicle, which was equipped with Tesla’s Autopilot technology, crashed into an SUV that was parked on the shoulder, killing Leon and injuring Dillon Angulo. 

    “I trusted the technology too much,” McGee said in 2025. “I believed that if the car saw something in front of it, it would provide a warning and apply the brakes.”

    That jury assigned Tesla 33% of the fault for the collision, and awarded $200 million in punitive damages, and $43 million in compensatory damages. 

    A courtroom first

    The 2025 verdict was a first from a federal jury over a fatal Autopilot accident, though there have been multiple incidents of Tesla vehicles in Autopilot mode that were involved in vehicle collisions. 

    Soon after that case, Tesla challenged the verdict, filing a motion asking the court to throw it out, or grant a new trial. 

    The company argued that the Model S was not defective, and that there wasn’t evidence that the company failed to provide warnings or instructions concerning Autopilot. 

    This week, however, U.S. District Judge Beth Bloom in Miami disagreed with Tesla’s arguments.

    Bloom ruled that the evidence from the 2025 trial “more than supported” the verdict, and that the company did not present any additional arguments.

    That means Tesla is on the hook for the $243 million in damages. 

    “The grounds for relief that Tesla relies upon are virtually the same as those Tesla put forth previously during the course of trial and in their briefings on summary judgment-arguments that were already considered and rejected,” the decision said, according to MarketWatch.

    Brett Schreiber, lead trial counsel for the plaintiffs, told Fast Company in a statement that he was “pleased but also completely unsurprised” that the verdict was upheld.

    Fast Company reached out to Tesla for comment.

    Prior to the 2025 trial, Tesla had rejected a $60 million settlement offer for the case.

    Tesla has “indicated” that it will appeal the ruling, Electrek reports, but even if that appeal is successful, the judgement is still likely to be more than that settlement offer.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    US Business & Economy

    Store 1TB of Company Files for Just $60

    February 21, 2026
    US Business & Economy

    This Is How Solo Creators Stop Posting to Silence and Hit Over 50,000 Views Without The Guesswork

    February 21, 2026
    US Business & Economy

    The Market Already Told You to Pivot — Here’s How to Listen

    February 21, 2026
    US Business & Economy

    Most Founders Don’t Realize They’re Giving Away Their Influence — Here’s How to Take It Back

    February 21, 2026
    US Business & Economy

    The secret to all those death-defying Olympic jumps is a giant plastic airbag

    February 21, 2026
    US Business & Economy

    How to Decide What to Build vs. Outsource in 5 Steps — Without Losing Control or Slowing Growth

    February 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Blue Jays Notes: Schneider, Varsho, Jimenez

    News DeskFebruary 22, 20260

    John Schneider has “had some discussions about” a long-term extension with the Blue Jays, the…

    No. 5 UConn second-half spurt overpowers Villanova

    February 22, 2026

    Major update for Tumbler Ridge victim 12-year-old Maya Gebala

    February 22, 2026

    ’16 & Pregnant’ Star Arrested & Charged With Felony, Details

    February 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    İlker Çatak’s Yellow Letters bags the Golden Bear at the 76th Berlinale

    February 21, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Blue Jays Notes: Schneider, Varsho, Jimenez

    February 22, 2026

    No. 5 UConn second-half spurt overpowers Villanova

    February 22, 2026

    Major update for Tumbler Ridge victim 12-year-old Maya Gebala

    February 22, 2026

    ’16 & Pregnant’ Star Arrested & Charged With Felony, Details

    February 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Blue Jays Notes: Schneider, Varsho, Jimenez

    February 22, 2026

    No. 5 UConn second-half spurt overpowers Villanova

    February 22, 2026

    Major update for Tumbler Ridge victim 12-year-old Maya Gebala

    February 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.