Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    B.C. man receives life sentence in killing of girlfriend, RCMP says

    February 17, 2026

    Daffodil Health Secures $16.3M for Health Plan Administration Platform

    February 17, 2026

    Miley Cyrus To Celebrate ‘Hannah Montana’ In 20th Anniversary Special

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Thousands of public servants receive notices that their jobs could be cut
    Canada

    Thousands of public servants receive notices that their jobs could be cut

    News DeskBy News DeskJanuary 23, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Thousands of public servants receive notices that their jobs could be cut
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Thousands of public service workers have received notices saying their jobs could be at risk as the federal government cuts its workforce. 

    The Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC), Canada’s largest union for federal public servants, said 1,775 of their members received workforce adjustment notices last week. For the second largest public service unions, the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada (PIPSC), 1,849 members received notices. 

    In its budget for the 2025-26 fiscal year, the Government of Canada announced it wanted to reduce the public service by 40,000 full-time equivalent positions by the 2028-29 fiscal year. The budget highlights that this effort is meant to reduce government spending so it can direct federal spending towards enhancing productivity and forming capital.

    “This is part of the federal government’s plan to slash critical public services and cut tens of thousands of public service jobs over the next three years,” said Sharon DeSousa, PSAC national president. “When jobs are cut, programs slow down, people wait longer, and communities lose the support they rely on every day.” 

    The gutting of the public service has pushed workers into a “hunger games-style fight for jobs” according to Sean O’Reilly, president of PIPSC. 

    “They’re competing with their co-workers to keep their current job,” he said in an interview with rabble.ca. “That’s going to just absolutely kill morale.” 

    As departments and teams shrink, O’Reilly also highlighted that the workload for those who keep their jobs will increase. This affects the workers but also impacts the quality of service that Canadians receive. 

    “We could talk about a number of failures over the years of the Government of Canada,” he said. “I look at the passport office. I think Canadians are well aware of the issues that were there coming out of the pandemic. That wasn’t the fault of public servants, that was the fault of poor planning on the half behalf of the government. They basically had laid off a number of employees that do the work to review passport applications.” 

    Beyond the immediate impact of reducing the quality of public services, O’Reilly said he is also concerned about how cuts could lead to more reliance on private contractors. 

    “We’ve seen this show before,” O’Reilly said. “Basically, there’s massive cuts to the public service, and then the Government of Canada realizes that they’ve lost their expertise. So what they have to do is one of two things, they have to go and train these people to a place where they can serve Canadians, or they’re going to go to outside contractors.” 

    Outside contractors tend to cost the government more than hiring public servants. For IT service, for example, the Parliamentary Budget Officer found that the cost of external contractors was between 22 per cent and 25.7 per cent higher than their public sector equivalents.

    “It’s really undercutting the goals of the government,” O’Reilly said. “…These are short term gains for long term pain.”

    An alternate vision for balancing the federal budget 

    As thousands of workers face uncertainty, labour leaders are saying that this disruption could have been avoided. Bea Bruske, president of Canada’s largest labour organization the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC), said a more worker-friendly approach would have been the introduction of an excess profit tax and a wealth tax. 

    “There are solutions to these things, and there are ways to get more money into the coffers in order to actually be able to enhance the kinds of services that Canadians need,” Bruske said in an interview with rabble. 

    In its alternative budget for 2026, progressive think-tank the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives laid out how a tax on Canada’s richest could be used to fund the federal public service and create new projects . 

    “There’s an inherent unfairness, and there’s an inherent gap in economic terms between the average worker and the largest CEO,” Bruske said. “So we need to understand that we are not in a good place.” 

    O’Reilly said the government has really focused on the interests of executives while trying to address budget deficits. 

    PIPSC PSAC
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    B.C. man receives life sentence in killing of girlfriend, RCMP says

    February 17, 2026
    Canada

    Quebec ski resort given green light to open week after Ottawa girl’s death

    February 17, 2026
    Canada

    What is the Jay Treaty cited in First Nations travel advisories to the U.S.?

    February 17, 2026
    Canada

    Ford tells students to not pick ‘basket-weaving courses’ in wake of OSAP cuts

    February 17, 2026
    Canada

    Government couldn’t always justify keeping people on no-fly list: watchdog

    February 17, 2026
    Canada

    Canada’s Sarault has earned $55K for her 3 medals so far. If she were Italian, it would be nearly 7 times that

    February 17, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    B.C. man receives life sentence in killing of girlfriend, RCMP says

    News DeskFebruary 17, 20260

    By Staff The Canadian Press Posted February 17, 2026 6:28 pm 1 min read Descrease…

    Daffodil Health Secures $16.3M for Health Plan Administration Platform

    February 17, 2026

    Miley Cyrus To Celebrate ‘Hannah Montana’ In 20th Anniversary Special

    February 17, 2026

    Anti-racism protocol activated after Vinicius-Prestianni argument

    February 17, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Daffodil Health Secures $16.3M for Health Plan Administration Platform

    February 17, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    B.C. man receives life sentence in killing of girlfriend, RCMP says

    February 17, 2026

    Daffodil Health Secures $16.3M for Health Plan Administration Platform

    February 17, 2026

    Miley Cyrus To Celebrate ‘Hannah Montana’ In 20th Anniversary Special

    February 17, 2026

    Anti-racism protocol activated after Vinicius-Prestianni argument

    February 17, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    B.C. man receives life sentence in killing of girlfriend, RCMP says

    February 17, 2026

    Daffodil Health Secures $16.3M for Health Plan Administration Platform

    February 17, 2026

    Miley Cyrus To Celebrate ‘Hannah Montana’ In 20th Anniversary Special

    February 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.