Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    WATCH: Hardik Pandya, Jasprit Bumrah win hearts by handing over signed jerseys to Netherlands squad post T20 World Cup 2026 clash

    February 19, 2026

    Ange Postecoglou rules out return to Celtic

    February 19, 2026

    Prestige Fragrance’s Online Shopping Problem

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Toronto officials promise cost of hosting FIFA World Cup matches won’t rise again – Toronto
    Canada

    Toronto officials promise cost of hosting FIFA World Cup matches won’t rise again – Toronto

    News DeskBy News DeskJanuary 12, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Toronto officials promise cost of hosting FIFA World Cup matches won’t rise again - Toronto
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Toronto’s top civil servant is promising the cost of putting on the 2026 FIFA World Cup won’t rise again, as the city prepares to host six massive soccer fixtures at the beginning of the summer.

    Five group stage matches featuring the likes of Germany, Senegal and Côte d’Ivoire, as well as a Round of 32 knock-out, are scheduled to take place at a renovated version of Toronto’s BMO Field in June and July.

    Since Toronto first signed up to host games under former mayor John Tory, the cost has consistently risen.

    The price tag after the games were confirmed in Toronto was $290 million, quickly rising to $300 million. By early 2024, after Toronto was handed a sixth fixture, the cost for the games was revised upwards again, this time to $380 million.

    Story continues below advertisement

    During the launch of Toronto’s annual budget process, City Manager Paul Johnson said the cost hadn’t gone up since then — and promised it wouldn’t rise again above the $380 million figure.

    “It’s been more than a year now since it changed, so that’s what we’re at … The $380 (million) is what the mayor has asked us to keep to, and so far, so good,” he said.


    “We’re remaining true to that $380 million and looking forward to a tremendous game in less than six months now.”

    Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

    Get daily National news

    Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

    The total number is being split between Toronto and both the provincial and federal governments. Queen’s Park has offered to pitch a strict $97 million, while the federal government is covering $104 million. The remaining $179 will be covered by the City of Toronto.

    Johnson said the highest cost would be close to $170 million in capital costs to rebuild parts of BMO Field and to renovate Centennial Park, which will be used as a training base. The six matches will be another major driver.

    “The six World Cup watches in Toronto do have a cost on a game-by-game basis, which is significant,” he said. “Each one of these is kind of like a Super Bowl experience on the day, with the level of fan operations that need to go in, getting spectators in, the security and all the other transportation pieces.”

    Story continues below advertisement

    Toronto’s staff have hinted that the cost of the games will be difficult to bear. A staff report from May 2025 said much of the money offered by other levels of government was already needed for other, indirect costs.

    The report said a substantial amount of the money Ontario promised to the city will be eaten up by existing commitments.

    Trending Now

    • Eurasia Group says no country more at risk than Canada in relations with the U.S.

    • Protesters try to attack driver after truck speeds through L.A. anti-Iran protest

    A total of $15 million alone will go toward public health, increased hospital staffing, paramedics and preparing for surging demand on hospitals as thousands of fans descend on the city. Almost $40 million of the $97 million was already assigned and won’t go to the overall cost, the report said.

    There may be other pressures on the city when June rolls around.

    Johnson said the city won’t break out the extra costs of a swell in visitors to the city, hoping cancellation of non-World Cup events will offset some of the strain.

    “Obviously, hosting games like this, the amount of people who will be there, there will be pressure, even things like litter pickup,” he said.

    “There’s probably going to have to be extra things like that. A full costing of that is hard to fully understand. The other side, though, is that there’s also a trade-off. During that period, we will have less other events happening in the city.”

    Story continues below advertisement

    The first World Cup game in Toronto will be held on June 12, 2026.


    Click to play video: 'Eras Tour’ impact on Toronto and lessons for FIFA World Cup'

    2:09
    Eras Tour’ impact on Toronto and lessons for FIFA World Cup


    &copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



    canada fifa world cup politics soccer Toronto politics World Cup
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    School and bus cancellations around southern Manitoba on Thursday

    February 19, 2026
    Canada

    Canada’s Brad Jacobs falls to Norway ahead of Olympic curling semifinal rematch

    February 19, 2026
    Canada

    Here’s the latest on Day 13 of the Olympics – National

    February 19, 2026
    Canada

    Quebec hair salon ordered to pay $500 to non-binary client – Montreal

    February 19, 2026
    Canada

    After tragedy, Lapu Lapu victims were victims of ‘snooping’ at hospitals: report – BC

    February 19, 2026
    Canada

    Danielle Smith to talk immigration in her address to Albertans Thursday

    February 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    WATCH: Hardik Pandya, Jasprit Bumrah win hearts by handing over signed jerseys to Netherlands squad post T20 World Cup 2026 clash

    News DeskFebruary 19, 20260

    In a tournament often defined by fierce rivalries and high-stakes tension, the ICC Men’s T20…

    Ange Postecoglou rules out return to Celtic

    February 19, 2026

    Prestige Fragrance’s Online Shopping Problem

    February 19, 2026

    Freeform raises $67M Series B to scale up laser AI manufacturing 

    February 19, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    D.C. mayor asks Trump for help with Potomac River sewage spill

    February 19, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    WATCH: Hardik Pandya, Jasprit Bumrah win hearts by handing over signed jerseys to Netherlands squad post T20 World Cup 2026 clash

    February 19, 2026

    Ange Postecoglou rules out return to Celtic

    February 19, 2026

    Prestige Fragrance’s Online Shopping Problem

    February 19, 2026

    Freeform raises $67M Series B to scale up laser AI manufacturing 

    February 19, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    WATCH: Hardik Pandya, Jasprit Bumrah win hearts by handing over signed jerseys to Netherlands squad post T20 World Cup 2026 clash

    February 19, 2026

    Ange Postecoglou rules out return to Celtic

    February 19, 2026

    Prestige Fragrance’s Online Shopping Problem

    February 19, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.