Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Jesse Jackson’s ‘I Am Somebody’ Sesame Street Message Resonates After His Death

    February 17, 2026

    Lang scores twice as Turkish side complete famous comeback

    February 17, 2026

    Texas AG sues TP-Link over purported connection to China

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Science & Technology»US Science & Tech»Trump administration’s legal setbacks are good news for offshore wind — and the grid
    US Science & Tech

    Trump administration’s legal setbacks are good news for offshore wind — and the grid

    News DeskBy News DeskJanuary 17, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Trump administration’s legal setbacks are good news for offshore wind — and the grid
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The Trump administration suffered a series of legal setbacks this week after judges allowed work to restart on several offshore wind farms under construction on the East Coast.

    The Department of the Interior had ordered a stop to five projects totaling 6 gigawatts of generating capacity in December, citing national security concerns. The judicial orders will allow three projects to resume construction: Revolution Wind off Rhode Island, Empire Wind off New York, and Coastal Virginia Offshore Wind off — you guessed it — Virginia.

    The developers each filed lawsuits shortly after the Trump administration issued the stop work order, which had been effective for 90 days.

    When announcing the halt just days before Christmas, the government cited concerns the wind farms would interfere with radar operations. It’s a valid concern, and one the government and project developers grappled with throughout the siting and permitting process. Wind farms can be located to minimize disruption to existing radar facilities, and the radar equipment itself can be upgraded to filter out noise generated by whirling turbine blades.

    President Trump himself has made it no secret that he’s not a fan of offshore wind: “I’m not much of a windmill person,” he told oil executives last week.

    In early hearings, judges weren’t impressed with the government’s line of reasoning. In three separate courtrooms in Virginia and Washington, DC, the Trump administration’s arguments were met with skepticism.

    U.S. District Judge Carl Nichols, a Trump appointee, pointed out the government failed to address several of plaintiff Equinor’s arguments in its lawsuit. Equinor, which is developing Empire Wind, had alleged the Interior department’s order was “arbitrary and capricious.” “Your brief doesn’t even include the word arbitrary,” Nichols said, according to the Associated Press.

    Nichols also questioned why the Trump administration was asking for construction to be halted when its main concern regarding national security appeared to be over the operation of the wind farm.

    U.S. District Judge Jamar Walker, who heard Coastal Virginia Offshore Wind developer Dominion Energy’s lawsuit, questioned the government along a similar line. He also said the Interior department’s order was overly broad when viewed in context of the Virginia project.

    Two projects remain in limbo as their lawsuits work their way through the courts. Ørsted, which is developing Sunrise Wind, has a hearing scheduled for February 2, while Vineyard Wind 1’s developers only filed their lawsuit on Thursday.

    The East Coast could deliver up to 110 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2050, according to a Department of Energy study published in 2024. That would provide a significant boost to some of the most densely populated cities — and data center regions — in the country. The Northeast currently has some of the highest electricity costs in the nation, while the Mid-Atlantic’s grid operator has recently come under fire for rising electricity prices in its territory. Offshore wind, as one of the cheapest forms of new generating capacity, has the potential to slow or reverse the trend.

    The potential is even bigger when viewed on a national scale. Offshore wind could generate 13,500 terawatt-hours of electricity per year, which is three times more than the U.S. currently consumes.

    lawsuits offshore wind Trump Administration Wind power
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    US Science & Tech

    Texas AG sues TP-Link over purported connection to China

    February 17, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    Climactic launches hybrid fund to get startups through the ‘valley of death’

    February 17, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    WordPress adds an AI assistant

    February 17, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    SpaceX vets raise $50M Series A for data center links

    February 17, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    Snapchat is rolling out creator subscriptions

    February 17, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    Here are the 17 US-based AI companies that have raised $100m or more in 2026

    February 17, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Jesse Jackson’s ‘I Am Somebody’ Sesame Street Message Resonates After His Death

    News DeskFebruary 17, 20260

    reddit/@Fauxmoi The civil rights leader’s death has prompted people to mark his iconic children’s television…

    Lang scores twice as Turkish side complete famous comeback

    February 17, 2026

    Texas AG sues TP-Link over purported connection to China

    February 17, 2026

    What is the Jay Treaty cited in First Nations travel advisories to the U.S.?

    February 17, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    5-star G Dylan Mingo commits to North Carolina

    February 17, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Jesse Jackson’s ‘I Am Somebody’ Sesame Street Message Resonates After His Death

    February 17, 2026

    Lang scores twice as Turkish side complete famous comeback

    February 17, 2026

    Texas AG sues TP-Link over purported connection to China

    February 17, 2026

    What is the Jay Treaty cited in First Nations travel advisories to the U.S.?

    February 17, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Jesse Jackson’s ‘I Am Somebody’ Sesame Street Message Resonates After His Death

    February 17, 2026

    Lang scores twice as Turkish side complete famous comeback

    February 17, 2026

    Texas AG sues TP-Link over purported connection to China

    February 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.