Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Dinesh Karthik settles the Virat Kohli vs Babar Azam ‘legendary batter’ debate with a blunt remark

    February 20, 2026

    How the ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Alum Died at 53 – Hollywood Life

    February 20, 2026

    Surrey police budget slashed by $47M with union sounding the alarm – BC

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Science & Technology»CA Science & Tech»Union files labour board complaint over closure of Ubisoft Halifax
    CA Science & Tech

    Union files labour board complaint over closure of Ubisoft Halifax

    News DeskBy News DeskJanuary 14, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Union files labour board complaint over closure of Ubisoft Halifax
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The union representing workers at the recently shuttered game developer Ubisoft Halifax has a filed a legal complaint with the labour board.

    On Tuesday, CWA Canada accused French gaming giant Ubisoft of closing the Halifax studio, which employed 71 people, to keep out the union. Ubisoft axed the studio on January 7, mere weeks after it had successfully formed a union to represent 61 workers. Given the timing, many viewed this to be a union-busting effort, but Ubisoft claimed that the closure had been in the works prior to the formation of the union as part of broader cost-cutting measures. This has included the shuttering of Ubisoft studios in San Francisco and Osaka, as well as layoffs at the company’s Abu Dhabi team this week.

    In response to Ubisoft’s claims, CWA Canada said the “sudden decision took everyone by surprise, unlike typical economic cuts where employers provide notice and financial backup to prove hardship.” The union has also demanded that Ubisoft release records to prove that its decision was solely based on financial necessity. It added that Ubisoft has received nearly $13 million in provincial tax credits between 2017 and 2025 “to nurture a generation of talent and to build a tech industry,” only to now walk away “without so much as an apology.”

    And beyond Ubisoft specifically, the union argues that “labour law should be updated to expressly give labour boards the power to force employers to reopen for a year, and help find alternate work for staff, or pay laid-off workers three years’ salary – things that could have been negotiated in a union contract.”

    “It’s against the law to stop workers from joining a union in Canada, but the slap on the wrist employers often get is not enough to stop this,” CWA Canada President Carmel Smyth said in a media statement. “The penalty should reflect the reality of intentional corporate bullying.”

    In a separate release, CWA Canada further condemned the Halifax closure by sharing French Senate data that Ubisoft had received nearly $1 billion in tax credits from Canadian governments between 2020 and 2024 alone. Ubisoft currently employs around 17,000 people around the world, more than 4,000 of which are located at the company’s various Canadian studios. In fact, its flagship Montreal studio is the biggest game developer in the world and the maker of many of Ubisoft’s biggest franchises, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six and Watch Dogs. Despite that large Canadian footprint, though, CWA Canada says Ubisoft has no plans to relocate any of the affected workers to any other studios.

    “It’s outrageous that a company can take hundreds of millions in tax breaks – public money – and then shut down an operation and lay off workers,” said Smyth in a statement. “And it’s shocking that governments allow it to happen.”

    Source: CWA Canada

    canada Canadian games CWA Canada Ubisoft Ubisoft Halifax
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Science & Tech

    This Canadian war game tells an incredible story about Newfoundland soldiers

    February 19, 2026
    CA Science & Tech

    Streaming in Canada on Apple TV, Crave, Netflix and Prime Video [Feb. 16-22]

    February 19, 2026
    Canada

    Canadian men’s hockey gold medal up for auction

    February 19, 2026
    CA Science & Tech

    Crave announces Canada’s Drag Race: All Stars

    February 19, 2026
    CA Science & Tech

    New on Disney+ Canada: March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    CA Science & Tech

    Public Mobile offering customers $45/100GB if they switch to Telus

    February 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Dinesh Karthik settles the Virat Kohli vs Babar Azam ‘legendary batter’ debate with a blunt remark

    News DeskFebruary 20, 20260

    The cricketing world has long been captivated by the statistical tug-of-war between India’s Virat Kohli…

    How the ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Alum Died at 53 – Hollywood Life

    February 20, 2026

    Surrey police budget slashed by $47M with union sounding the alarm – BC

    February 20, 2026

    Nick Viall And Natalie Under Fire, ‘Mom-Shaming’ Whitney Leavitt

    February 20, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Judge dismisses ex-NYPD commissioner's lawsuit alleging 'systemic corruption' in police department

    February 20, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Dinesh Karthik settles the Virat Kohli vs Babar Azam ‘legendary batter’ debate with a blunt remark

    February 20, 2026

    How the ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Alum Died at 53 – Hollywood Life

    February 20, 2026

    Surrey police budget slashed by $47M with union sounding the alarm – BC

    February 20, 2026

    Nick Viall And Natalie Under Fire, ‘Mom-Shaming’ Whitney Leavitt

    February 20, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Dinesh Karthik settles the Virat Kohli vs Babar Azam ‘legendary batter’ debate with a blunt remark

    February 20, 2026

    How the ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Alum Died at 53 – Hollywood Life

    February 20, 2026

    Surrey police budget slashed by $47M with union sounding the alarm – BC

    February 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.