Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Barcelona make contract decision on 22-year-old midfielder

    February 18, 2026

    Ditch Team Surveillance and Unlock Real Motivation With This Simple Method

    February 18, 2026

    EBay Acquires Depop from Etsy for $1.2 Billion

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Sports»US Sports»Willson Contreras Wants To Stay With Cardinals, But Is Open To Waiving No-Trade Clause
    US Sports

    Willson Contreras Wants To Stay With Cardinals, But Is Open To Waiving No-Trade Clause

    News DeskBy News DeskSeptember 27, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Willson Contreras Wants To Stay With Cardinals, But Is Open To Waiving No-Trade Clause
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Willson Contreras’ five-year, $87.5MM contract with the Cardinals included a full no-trade clause for the first four seasons, and Contreras indicated after last season that he wasn’t willing to consent to a deal.  The first baseman has slightly changed his stance now, telling reporters (including MLB.com’s Jeff Jones) that still wants to remain in St. Louis, but is willing to consider waiving his no-trade protection.

    “If something comes up to [president of baseball operations Chaim Bloom] that makes a lot of sense for him and the organization, and it makes sense for me and my future, how about we talk about that?” Contreras said.  “But as of right now, I would just like to be part of the [rebuilding] process.”

    Contreras noted that he isn’t requesting a trade, and already shared his thoughts about staying with the club. in a meeting with Bloom on Friday.  “I’d like to be a part of a young team that needs to have some kind of experience around them.  That’s what I expressed, but I understand the part of the business of the team, and we just came to an agreement there,” the first baseman said.

    We’ve already seen Sonny Gray and Nolan Arenado each indicate that they’d be more open to waiving their own no-trade protection this winter, in the wake of the incoming Cardinals rebuild.  Gray is under contract just through the 2026 season but at the hefty price tag of $40MM ($35MM in backloaded salary and at least $5MM in a buyout of a club option for 2027).  Arenado is owed $42MM through the 2027 season, though that number is reduced by deferred money and $5MM from the Rockies as per the terms of the trade that sent Arenado from Colorado to St. Louis.

    Contreras is just finishing the third season of his five-year deal, and he is owed $41.5MM in remaining salary — $18MM in 2026, $18.5MM in 2027, and there is a $5MM buyout of a $17.5MM club option for 2028.  Of these three pricey St. Louis veterans, Contreras brings less of a one-off luxury tax hit than Gray, and he has been a much more effective hitter than Arenado over the last three seasons.

    A right shoulder strain ended Contreras’ 2025 season earlier in September, so his season numbers stand at 20 homers and a .257/.344/.447 slash line across 563 plate appearances.  Contreras’ time with the Cardinals has been largely defined by the team’s downturn in performance and the defensive questions that led to his move from catcher to first base, but the veteran has continued to hit — he has batted .261/.358/.459 over 1416 PA in a Cardinals uniform, which translates to a 129 wRC+.

    Those numbers play better from the catcher position than at first base, so hypothetically, a trade suitor might have interest in shifting Contreras back into at least a part-time role behind the plate.  Given the lack of catching depth around the league, a team might also have more interest in taking on more of Contreras’ salary if he is being deployed to fill a larger hole at catcher than at first base.

    As Jones observes, trading Contreras would allow the Cardinals to find more playing time for multiple players on the roster.  Nate Burleson would likely take over most of the time at first base, which in turns opens up at-bat at DH and in the outfield for others.

    That said, Contreras ultimately has the final word due to his contract.  His full no-trade protection only lasts through 2026, as Contreras can then submit a no-trade list of 10 teams.  The Cardinals could conceivably stick with Contreras through the coming season and then perhaps look more seriously at trade talks next winter, when the team will have slightly more freedom in working out a deal with at least 19 teams.

    Even if Contreras has left the door slightly ajar to a trade, he made it clear that he is happy in St. Louis and would embrace the idea of helping mentor a new generation of Cardinals.

    “I understand that it might take three to five years to have a playoff team or a team that can contend to the World Series, and I said even if I don’t make it there, and you guys make it to a World Series, I feel like I can be proud of that, just because I want to help young guys to better develop and have a better idea of what baseball is besides going to analyze stats,” Contreras said.

    willson contreras
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    US Sports

    Eddie Howe urges Newcastle players to realise potential after Champions League thrashing

    February 18, 2026
    US Sports

    Astros Sign CJ Alexander To Minor League Deal

    February 18, 2026
    US Sports

    Club Brugge and Atleti in six-goal thriller as Schick double fires Bayer Leverkusen to victory

    February 18, 2026
    US Sports

    The Minnesota Twins Should’ve Traded Pablo Lopez Last Year

    February 18, 2026
    US Sports

    Brusdar Graterol Won’t Be Ready For Opening Day

    February 18, 2026
    US Sports

    Hawks to re-evaluate F Jonathan Kuminga (knee) in 1 week

    February 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Barcelona make contract decision on 22-year-old midfielder

    News DeskFebruary 18, 20260

    Barcelona are gearing up for a vitally important summer transfer window, which will see significant…

    Ditch Team Surveillance and Unlock Real Motivation With This Simple Method

    February 18, 2026

    EBay Acquires Depop from Etsy for $1.2 Billion

    February 18, 2026

    Eddie Howe urges Newcastle players to realise potential after Champions League thrashing

    February 18, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Hugh Hefner's widow alleges his foundation has nude photos of potentially underage women

    February 18, 2026

    The Roads Not Taken – Movie Reviews. TV Coverage. Trailers. Film Festivals.

    September 12, 2025

    Huey Lewis & The News, Heart And Soul

    September 12, 2025

    FNE Oscar Watch 2026: Croatia Selects Fiume o morte! as Oscar Bid

    September 12, 2025
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Barcelona make contract decision on 22-year-old midfielder

    February 18, 2026

    Ditch Team Surveillance and Unlock Real Motivation With This Simple Method

    February 18, 2026

    EBay Acquires Depop from Etsy for $1.2 Billion

    February 18, 2026

    Eddie Howe urges Newcastle players to realise potential after Champions League thrashing

    February 18, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Barcelona make contract decision on 22-year-old midfielder

    February 18, 2026

    Ditch Team Surveillance and Unlock Real Motivation With This Simple Method

    February 18, 2026

    EBay Acquires Depop from Etsy for $1.2 Billion

    February 18, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.