Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Progressive firebrand Chris Rabb wins Democratic primary for the nation’s bluest House seat

    May 20, 2026

    Rays Trade Joe Rock To White Sox

    May 20, 2026

    John Cena Keeps It Quiet with a Wordless Monday Upload

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Spain»Iran offline: The longest internet shutdown ever imposed by a country | International
    Spain

    Iran offline: The longest internet shutdown ever imposed by a country | International

    News DeskBy News DeskMay 19, 2026No Comments7 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Iran offline: The longest internet shutdown ever imposed by a country | International
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Iran has been under a digital blackout for 80 days — the time that has passed since the United States and Israel launched their war against the Islamic Republic — decreed by the authorities for “security reasons,” preventing citizens from having normal access to the internet. This difficult-to-circumvent blockade is increasingly complicating daily life, making remote working impossible, cutting off communication, and severely limiting access to information in a country of 92 million inhabitants.

    This internet blackout is now the longest of its kind (imposed nationwide by a country’s government) on record, according to NetBlocks, an organization that monitors internet traffic and censorship, which reported the information on Wednesday, the 75th day of the shutdown. NetBlocks director Alp Toker told EFE that this is “the longest nationwide blackout on record in a digitally connected society,” surpassing Myanmar’s blackout in February 2021 (which lasted 72 days) and the one Sudan has been experiencing for several weeks.

    Thousands of citizens try to circumvent the restrictions with illegal solutions, such as the use of alternative technologies, while the regime tries to establish a new model, a substitute for the network called Internet Pro, which is much more limited, restricted to certain groups, and expensive.

    For Sara, an English teacher who depends entirely on online work with students outside Iran, the internet is not just infrastructure; it is her livelihood. During one of the recent outages, when connectivity collapsed, she closed her laptop and took a bus to Armenia, one of the few countries offering visa-free entry to Iranians.

    “Even though my hostel in Yerevan [the Armenian capital] is in a basement, with no natural light, and I share a room in my 40s, paying $400 a month, at least when I open my laptop and have internet, I’m no longer anxious,” she says, speaking under a pseudonym.

    It was not the first time Sara had tried to adapt to increasingly unstable conditions inside Iran. In the spring and summer of last year, when the government introduced daily electricity rationing and different parts of the city were left without power at rotating hours, she attempted to continue working. “Every day, I would check which part of the city still had electricity. Then I would grab my laptop and go there, moving from café to café, just to find a place where I could work,” she recalls.

    She also lived through a nearly five-day internet blackout during the 12-day war between Israel, the United States, and Iran in June 2025, when her work stopped completely. But over time, a pattern became clear: in moments of political and social crisis, the first response is often to disconnect the country.

    Young Iranians in a cafe in downtown Tehran on April 23.NurPhoto (NurPhoto via Getty Images)

    Access to the internet and electronic communications was widely cut across Iran from the first hours of the attacks on February 28. In the following days, phone calls and text messaging were partially restored, but according to NetBlocks, despite the ceasefire, public internet access remains completely cut off.

    Iran has a long history of shutdowns, including the nationwide blackout of November 2019, as well as repeated disruptions during the 2022 protests and the 2025 war. Localized shutdowns have also been frequent. For those who have lived through them, the experience is not only technical but psychological.

    “It feels like being blindfolded,” says Banafsheh Jamali, an Iranian feminist activist in Canada who experienced the 2019 shutdown. “You don’t know if it will be lifted or what you’ll face when it is.”

    Because when access returns, the shock can be just as destabilizing. When the internet was restored in January 2026, many users were confronted with images of mass killings during the protests.

    Controlled and unequal access

    Over the years, Iranian authorities have promoted concepts such as a “national,” “halal,” or “clean” internet. Users, however, more often refer to it as the “filternet,” because of the number of filters and the degree to which platforms are blocked. Now, after two months of total shutdown, officials have begun discussing a new model called “Internet Pro,” a tiered system of access.

    “What we are witnessing now is a shift toward a situation in which there is no longer an open internet in Iran,” says Amir Rashidi, an internet security and digital rights researcher. “The internet is being transformed from a public right into a privilege. It has always been filtered and expensive, but it was still the internet. Now we are reaching a point where access is no longer equal; what is being sold under the label of ‘Internet Pro’ offers different layers of connectivity to different groups, lawyers may have one level of access, for example, without YouTube or Facebook, doctors another, and businesspeople yet another.” Rashidi fears this segmentation could expand even further, with categories such as gender or ethnicity being used to authorize or deny access.

    Iranian government spokeswoman Fatemeh Mohajerani has said internet access will return to normal after the emergency period ends. Rashidi, however, argues that wartime shutdowns have already altered digital behavior in more permanent ways.

    “So far, there has been a kind of resistance among Iranians; they would avoid domestic platforms and apps, even at a cost, because international traffic is twice as expensive as domestic traffic,” he explains. “But prolonged internet shutdowns in wartime have changed user behaviour and accelerated their migration to domestic services.”

    Lives on hold

    A square in Tehran on April 22.NurPhoto (NurPhoto via Getty Images)

    Many Iranians have developed improvised — and often risky — ways to stay connected. The import, sale, and use of U.S. Starlink technology, for example, are prohibited, and violating this law can be punished with imprisonment. Authorities have recently announced several arrests related to this.

    Kaveh Ghoreishi, a Kurdish Iranian journalist, says the risks are especially acute in regions such as Kurdistan, where the Iranian state treats almost everything as a security issue. He describes local coping strategies: in towns near the border with the Kurdistan region of Iraq, some people purchase phones there, keep SIM cards, and use those networks to connect. Others travel directly to border areas to catch cross-border signals.

    These individual solutions, such as satellite access or cross-border networks, cannot compensate for the lack of stable connectivity. The consequences of prolonged disruption affect multiple generations: from teenagers who have grown up online to older users who once spent retirement hours on Instagram.

    Small businesses have been particularly affected. Many of them, often run by young women and operating outside formal institutions such as the Chamber of Commerce, rely almost entirely on online platforms to survive.

    Elaheh (a pseudonym), an online consultant and small business owner, left Iran after repeated shutdowns undermined both her income and stability. Since all her clients operated online, the repeated service disruptions in 2026 ultimately destroyed her business.

    “I built something for myself,” she says. “I was active, effective in my community. And now this is where I stand.”

    She had to let most of her employees go while continuing to pay rent on the workplace from savings. “Three weeks after the war began, I woke up one morning and told my mother, ‘I have to leave.’ I chose Sri Lanka,” she says. “I’m in my mid-30s. I want a child, a family. But even basic rights feel out of reach.”

    “When I speak about this, people say, ‘Well, that’s what immigration is.’ But this doesn’t feel like immigration,” she continues. “I was pushed out. I am, in the truest sense, displaced.”

    Sara, too, faces an uncertain future. Her three-month residency in Armenia is nearing its end, and her options remain limited: move to Turkey (also for three months), or return to Iran by land, only to re-enter Armenia and restart another temporary cycle.

    “Another three months,” she says. “Another pause. Another uncertainty.”

    Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get more English-language news coverage from EL PAÍS USA Edition

    Internet iran Israel Starlink
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Spain

    La Administración Trump se prepara para lanzar una acusación formal contra Raúl Castro mientras redobla la presión sobre Cuba

    May 20, 2026
    Spain

    Prisión provisional para la mujer detenida por matar a su pareja en Salamanca

    May 19, 2026
    Spain

    ICE agent accused of shooting a Venezuelan immigrant in Minneapolis | U.S.

    May 19, 2026
    Spain

    la muerte de 200 cervatillos de El Pardo en un matadero segoviano

    May 19, 2026
    ES Science & Tech

    con más IA y funciones que nunca para no tener que visitar páginas

    May 19, 2026
    Spain

    Uno de los migrantes desalojados por Albiol en Badalona es detenido en una “cita trampa” y será deportado por vía exprés

    May 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Progressive firebrand Chris Rabb wins Democratic primary for the nation’s bluest House seat

    News DeskMay 20, 20260

    Chris Rabb, a progressive state representative and self-styled “rabble-rouser,” clinched the Democratic nomination Tuesday for…

    Rays Trade Joe Rock To White Sox

    May 20, 2026

    John Cena Keeps It Quiet with a Wordless Monday Upload

    May 20, 2026

    Penticton encampment fire sparks renewed safety concerns

    May 20, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    🎙 PODCAST | Jóvenes y trabajo: ¿generación de cristal o ejemplo a seguir?

    April 20, 2026

    Daisy Ridley’s Adam Driver Comments Resurface Amid Lena Dunham’s Claims

    April 20, 2026

    Las conservas de pescado y marisco mas sanas

    September 10, 2022

    GT vs MI, IPL 2026, Match Prediction: Who will win today’s game between Gujarat Titans and Mumbai Indians?

    April 20, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Progressive firebrand Chris Rabb wins Democratic primary for the nation’s bluest House seat

    May 20, 2026

    Rays Trade Joe Rock To White Sox

    May 20, 2026

    John Cena Keeps It Quiet with a Wordless Monday Upload

    May 20, 2026

    Penticton encampment fire sparks renewed safety concerns

    May 20, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Progressive firebrand Chris Rabb wins Democratic primary for the nation’s bluest House seat

    May 20, 2026

    Rays Trade Joe Rock To White Sox

    May 20, 2026

    John Cena Keeps It Quiet with a Wordless Monday Upload

    May 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.