Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Cómo conseguir una entrada para los conciertos de Bad Bunny aunque estén agotadas

    May 22, 2026

    “I give little important to Joan Laporta’s words” – Real Madrid manager Alvaro Arbeloa

    May 22, 2026

    Spain’s Pedro Sanchez speaks out over Gaza flotilla video

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Spain»Adys Lastres Morera: ICE arrests the sister of the head of Cuba’s military conglomerate GAESA | U.S.
    Spain

    Adys Lastres Morera: ICE arrests the sister of the head of Cuba’s military conglomerate GAESA | U.S.

    News DeskBy News DeskMay 22, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Adys Lastres Morera: ICE arrests the sister of the head of Cuba’s military conglomerate GAESA | U.S.
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The United States continues to ratchet up its pressure on Cuba. U.S. immigration authorities on Thursday arrested in Miami the sister of the executive president of GAESA (Grupo de Administración Empresarial S.A.), the Cuban military conglomerate. According to a statement released by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the detainee, Adys Lastres Morera, sister of Ania Guillermina Lastres Morera, described as “responsible for managing GAESA’s internationally held illicit assets,” had been a permanent resident since 2023. ICE said Lastres Morera had not applied for U.S. citizenship and will remain in custody until she is deported.

    In an ICE statement, John Condon, head of Homeland Security Investigations, said that Adys Lastres Morera’s presence in the United States could have “serious adverse foreign policy consequences.” He added that Secretary of State Marco Rubio had “determined that she is removable under the provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act.”

    “Allowing Lastres Morera to remain in the country would send a signal that Cuban regime-affiliated networks could continue to access the U.S.’s financial, educational, and social institutions — but that is not the case,” he said.

    Rubio confirmed the announcement on social media, claiming that Lastres Morera was “managing real estate assets while also aiding Havana’s communist regime.” He also asserted that he personally had revoked her permanent residency. “There will be no place on Earth, much less in our country, where foreign nationals who threaten our national security can live in luxury,” he said.

    GAESA is a conglomerate controlled by Cuba’s Revolutionary Armed Forces. Its portfolio spans a vast range of companies, from hotels to telecommunications, retail chains, gas stations, and the state bank that handles all of Cuba’s international transactions. Among its best‑known subsidiaries are the tourism and hotel group Gaviota and the retail and logistics chains CIMEX and TRD. GAESA also controls remittances, free‑trade zones, and real‑estate projects.

    U.S. authorities estimate that GAESA operates as “a state within the state,” controlling 70% of the Cuban government’s assets, valued at roughly $20 billion. Meanwhile, the population faces a severe economic crisis marked by near‑constant blackouts and shortages of water, food, and medicine.

    The conglomerate has long maintained an opaque profile regarding its structure and leadership. For years, it was headed by Raúl Castro’s son‑in‑law, General Luis Alberto Rodríguez López‑Calleja, who died in 2022. The United States has imposed sanctions on GAESA and the officials who run it.

    The arrest comes at a moment of heightened tension between Washington and Havana. On Wednesday, May 20 — Cuba’s Independence Day — the Department of Justice indicted former president Raúl Castro (2008–2018), now 94, with murder and other crimes for the 1996 shoot‑down of two planes belonging to the exile group Brothers to the Rescue, in which four people were killed.

    The Pentagon also confirmed Thursday that one of its aircraft carriers, the USS Nimitz, is operating in international waters in the Caribbean near the island.

    The crisis in Cuba has worsened since January, following the capture of Nicolás Maduro in Venezuela — until then Havana’s main ally and supplier of subsidized oil. Weeks later, Trump imposed an energy blockade through an executive order, threatening tariffs and sanctions on anyone supplying crude to the island. Mexico, which had been sending oil to Cuba at preferential prices, stopped doing so. Authorities said last week that all fuel reserves had been exhausted.

    In a message released Wednesday, Rubio proposed a “new relationship” for relations with the island, conditioned on reducing the military’s control over the Cuban economy, and blamed the government of Miguel Díaz‑Canel and GAESA for the island’s crisis.

    In the five‑minute address, Rubio said Cubans are enduring 22‑hour daily blackouts while political and military leaders live in luxury. “As you know, better than anyone, you have been suffering from blackouts for years. The real reason you don’t have electricity, fuel, or food is because those who control your country have plundered billions of dollars, but nothing has been used to help the people,” he said, denying that the total energy blockade imposed by Washington plays any role.

    Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get more English-language news coverage from EL PAÍS USA Edition

    Cuba Donald Trump GAESA ICE Marco Rubio Miguel Díaz-Canel Raúl Castro
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Spain

    Cómo conseguir una entrada para los conciertos de Bad Bunny aunque estén agotadas

    May 22, 2026
    Spain

    US confirms it helped Spanish police in ex-PM Zapatero’s corruption probe

    May 22, 2026
    Spain

    Así son las ranas en peligro de extinción que han viajado desde Ghana hasta Londres para intentar salvarlas

    May 22, 2026
    Spain

    Trump anuncia el envío de 5.000 soldados a Polonia por su sintonía con el presidente ultra del país tras ordenar replegarlos de Alemania

    May 21, 2026
    Spain

    How long can a civilization survive before it collapses? ‘Stable utopias are the least likely scenarios’ | Science

    May 21, 2026
    Spain

    Óscar Puente ve “imprescindible” que las fuerzas de izquierda colaboren “de manera inteligente”: “Yo tengo esperanza”

    May 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Cómo conseguir una entrada para los conciertos de Bad Bunny aunque estén agotadas

    News DeskMay 22, 20260

    Bad Bunny está a punto de desatar la locura en nuestro país. El cantante puertorriqueño,…

    “I give little important to Joan Laporta’s words” – Real Madrid manager Alvaro Arbeloa

    May 22, 2026

    Spain’s Pedro Sanchez speaks out over Gaza flotilla video

    May 22, 2026

    Signicat nombra a Emma Bauer Directora de Producto

    May 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Cómo conseguir una entrada para los conciertos de Bad Bunny aunque estén agotadas

    May 22, 2026

    WTAAA calls for transparency, collaboration on airline-imposed surcharges

    April 22, 2026

    Oren Uziel Reveals Multiple Spider-Man Projects Following Spider-Noir Formula

    April 22, 2026

    Hulk Hogan Opens Up About Darkest Moments After Divorce

    April 22, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Cómo conseguir una entrada para los conciertos de Bad Bunny aunque estén agotadas

    May 22, 2026

    “I give little important to Joan Laporta’s words” – Real Madrid manager Alvaro Arbeloa

    May 22, 2026

    Spain’s Pedro Sanchez speaks out over Gaza flotilla video

    May 22, 2026

    Signicat nombra a Emma Bauer Directora de Producto

    May 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Cómo conseguir una entrada para los conciertos de Bad Bunny aunque estén agotadas

    May 22, 2026

    “I give little important to Joan Laporta’s words” – Real Madrid manager Alvaro Arbeloa

    May 22, 2026

    Spain’s Pedro Sanchez speaks out over Gaza flotilla video

    May 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.