Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Confirmed line-ups for Mourinho’s return to LaLiga

    August 22, 2026

    Read Mark Carney’s full speech after trade talks with the U.S. collapsed

    August 22, 2026

    Kandi Burruss Debunks Reconciling With Todd Tucker

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Entertainment»CA Entertainment»‘Roseanne’ Star Blasts ‘Lie’ Behind ABC’s 2018 Show Axing
    CA Entertainment

    ‘Roseanne’ Star Blasts ‘Lie’ Behind ABC’s 2018 Show Axing

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 12, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    'Roseanne' Star Blasts 'Lie' Behind ABC's 2018 Show Axing
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    For nearly eight years, Michael Fishman has largely watched from the sidelines as fans continued debating why “Roseanne” disappeared from ABC so abruptly. Now, the former child star says he has had enough.

    After encountering another social media comment claiming Roseanne Barr was “backstabbed” and unfairly targeted over the tweet that ended the wildly successful revival, Fishman delivered an emotional response, insisting the story some fans continue telling about the cancellation simply is not true.

    Fishman addressed the controversy directly in an Instagram Reel after highlighting a comment arguing that Roseanne Barr merely made the kind of edgy joke comedians had long been allowed to make.

    The commenter blamed the cancellation on changing cultural attitudes and suggested Barr had been betrayed despite making provocative jokes throughout her career.

    Fishman strongly disagreed. “I get this every day. I get these kinds of ignorant and inaccurate comments daily,” the 44-year-old said, explaining that he had mostly avoided responding for years.

    “For over eight years, I’ve been dealing with it quietly,” he continued. “After eight years, turning the other cheek really isn’t helping.”

    Fishman said people were “perpetuating a lie” and using a “political smokescreen to justify the indefensible.” His comments directly challenge the argument that ABC’s decision was primarily about politics or shifting standards surrounding comedy.

    ‘Roseanne’ Star Says The Show Was ‘Rightfully Canceled’

    The controversy dates back to May 2018, when Roseanne Barr posted a since-deleted tweet comparing former Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett to the offspring of the Muslim Brotherhood and “Planet of the Apes.”

    ABC responded within hours. Then-ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey called the tweet “abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values” before announcing that “Roseanne” had been canceled despite the revival’s enormous ratings success.

    Fishman now says the network made the correct decision. “Dehumanizing people is never a joke,” he said in his video, arguing that comedians may have freedom to tackle dark subjects but that freedom does not erase responsibility or consequences.

    “The brilliant comedians help us laugh at the darkest, darkest topics,” Fishman continued. “Sadly, in this case, there was no joke.”

    He then delivered his clearest verdict, saying, “The show was rightfully canceled.”

    Fishman also pushed back against the idea that Barr was the person who had been “backstabbed,” arguing instead that the victims were those targeted by the remarks and the people whose careers became collateral damage when the series disappeared.

    Fishman’s Position Has Barely Changed Since The Original Fallout

    Although his latest remarks are much more forceful, Michael Fishman’s underlying position is not new.

    On the day ABC canceled “Roseanne” in 2018, the actor publicly condemned Roseanne Barr’s statements as “reprehensible and intolerable,” while stressing that the views of one cast member did not represent everyone involved in the series.

    Fishman said at the time that he was devastated for the cast, crew, writers and production staff who lost their jobs after pouring themselves into a show he believed had championed inclusivity.

    Barr responded angrily. She accused Fishman of throwing her “under the bus,” while insisting that she had created the platform that allowed the sitcom to tell inclusive stories.

    Fishman’s decision to reiterate the same basic stance eight years later therefore represents less of a reversal than a renewed defense of a position he has held since the controversy began.

    That history also adds context to why Fishman now appears exhausted by fans continuing to challenge him over what happened.

    Michael Fishman Says He Still Loves Roseanne Barr

    Tim Wright / MEGA

    Despite his uncompromising criticism, Fishman made another point clear. His condemnation of Barr’s actions does not mean he has stopped caring about the woman who played his television mother for much of his life.

    “Good people make mistakes,” he acknowledged.

    Fishman said he loves “the one who made this mistake” and always will, adding that he continues to have “compassion and love” for Barr.

    Barr herself initially apologized for the Jarrett tweet, telling Rabbi Shmuley Boteach in 2018 that she “horribly” regretted what she had done and was prepared to accept the consequences. She also said she had made herself a “hate magnet.”

    However, Barr subsequently offered several explanations for what happened, including saying she had taken Ambien and claiming she did not know Jarrett was Black. She has continued revisiting the firing years after the controversy.

    ‘The Conners’ Ultimately Outlived The ‘Roseanne’ Revival

    The cancellation did not ultimately end the Conner family’s television story.

    ABC reworked the project into “The Conners,” which continued without Barr and eventually ran for seven seasons before concluding in April 2025.

    The spinoff killed off Roseanne Conner and centered the remaining family members, including John Goodman’s Dan, Sara Gilbert’s Darlene and Lecy Goranson’s Becky.

    Fishman remained part of the franchise as D.J. Conner through four seasons of “The Conners” before revealing in 2022 that he had been told he would not return for Season 5. He later said he held no resentment over being absent from the show’s eventual series finale.

    That makes his continued defense of the original cancellation notable. Fishman himself lost a long-running television home twice, first when “Roseanne” collapsed and later when “The Conners” moved forward without him.

    Yet eight years after the original controversy, he still insists ABC’s decision was justified.



    Roseanne Barr
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Entertainment

    Kandi Burruss Debunks Reconciling With Todd Tucker

    August 22, 2026
    CA Entertainment

    Jamie Lynn Spears Admits Truth Behind Ending of ‘Zoey 101’

    August 22, 2026
    CA Entertainment

    SOUND FIST: JOSH FAWAZ – GHOST

    August 22, 2026
    CA Entertainment

    ‘Today’ Al Roker’s Co-Hosts Go Too Far With Deadly Birthday Gift

    August 22, 2026
    CA Entertainment

    Gleb Savchenko’s Girlfriend Pulled Into Explosive Custody Battle

    August 22, 2026
    CA Entertainment

    Reba McEntire Worried Big Wedding Guest List Could Backfire

    August 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Confirmed line-ups for Mourinho’s return to LaLiga

    News DeskAugust 22, 20260

    Jose Mourinho will take charge of a competitive game for Real Madrid for the first…

    Read Mark Carney’s full speech after trade talks with the U.S. collapsed

    August 22, 2026

    Kandi Burruss Debunks Reconciling With Todd Tucker

    August 22, 2026

    Bills send condolences to Ed Oliver following death of son

    August 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026

    In Awe: A Guide to Everyday Wonder

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Confirmed line-ups for Mourinho’s return to LaLiga

    August 22, 2026

    Read Mark Carney’s full speech after trade talks with the U.S. collapsed

    August 22, 2026

    Kandi Burruss Debunks Reconciling With Todd Tucker

    August 22, 2026

    Bills send condolences to Ed Oliver following death of son

    August 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Confirmed line-ups for Mourinho’s return to LaLiga

    August 22, 2026

    Read Mark Carney’s full speech after trade talks with the U.S. collapsed

    August 22, 2026

    Kandi Burruss Debunks Reconciling With Todd Tucker

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.