Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Confirmed line-ups for Mourinho’s return to LaLiga

    August 22, 2026

    Read Mark Carney’s full speech after trade talks with the U.S. collapsed

    August 22, 2026

    Kandi Burruss Debunks Reconciling With Todd Tucker

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»CA Politics»Ontario changes regulations to prevent illegal migrants from collecting social assistance
    CA Politics

    Ontario changes regulations to prevent illegal migrants from collecting social assistance

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 13, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Ontario changes regulations to prevent illegal migrants from collecting social assistance
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The Ontario government has changed regulations to prevent people who are not legal immigrants from collecting social assistance payments.

    Doug Ford posted on social media Thursday morning that “taxpayer-funded social assistance was never meant to support people living in Ontario illegally. As of today, it doesn’t.”

    The Ontario premier was first alerted to the situation by a National Post story last month that reported on the case of a man who was awarded social assistance payments by a provincial tribunal despite living in Canada illegally for more than two decades.

    In that case, the man entered the country in 1997 on a visa that expired after four years, but stayed and worked cash jobs until 2023, when he entered the homeless shelter system. He had initially been denied benefits by Ontario Works due to his lack of legal status, but successfully appealed to the benefits tribunal.

    Ford said last month, citing the Post story, that “our government will always be there to support people on hard times — but that doesn’t include people living in Canada illegally,” and he vowed to change the regulations.

    Thursday’s announcement does that, amending regulations under the Ontario Works Act and the Ontario Disability Support Program Act to “provide clarity on who is eligible for social assistance,” according to a government statement.

    Under the new rules, those in Canada illegally and “individuals authorized to remain in Canada on a temporary basis” — on a student visa, for example — are no longer eligible to collect social assistance payments.

    “These changes will protect taxpayer dollars and ensure these programs are there for the people they were intended to support,” said Michael Parsa, minister of children, community and social services, in a statement.

    The federal Conservatives called for such a change last week, with Michelle Rempel Garner, the Tory critic for Immigration and Citizenship saying the tribunal decision was “yet another government action that undermines core principles of our immigration system: those who come to Canada should do so legally and with a clear commitment to becoming self-sufficient as quickly as possible.”

    She said then that the federal Liberal government should back any change to the regulations that the Ontario government might make.

    sstinson@postmedia.com

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Politics

    Tory MP Jivani calls Carney’s dollar-for-dollar tariffs ‘overreaction’

    August 22, 2026
    CA Politics

    Nancy Kassebaum Baker, former US senator from Kansas, dies at 94

    August 22, 2026
    CA Politics

    Carney to hold 11 a.m. news conference after suspending trade talks with U.S.

    August 22, 2026
    CA Politics

    Carney to hold press conference after trade talks with Trump collapse

    August 22, 2026
    CA Politics

    Saturday, August 22, 2026 – Loonie Politics

    August 22, 2026
    CA Politics

    Read Mark Carney’s full statement on the collapse of trade talks with the U.S.

    August 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Confirmed line-ups for Mourinho’s return to LaLiga

    News DeskAugust 22, 20260

    Jose Mourinho will take charge of a competitive game for Real Madrid for the first…

    Read Mark Carney’s full speech after trade talks with the U.S. collapsed

    August 22, 2026

    Kandi Burruss Debunks Reconciling With Todd Tucker

    August 22, 2026

    Bills send condolences to Ed Oliver following death of son

    August 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026

    In Awe: A Guide to Everyday Wonder

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Confirmed line-ups for Mourinho’s return to LaLiga

    August 22, 2026

    Read Mark Carney’s full speech after trade talks with the U.S. collapsed

    August 22, 2026

    Kandi Burruss Debunks Reconciling With Todd Tucker

    August 22, 2026

    Bills send condolences to Ed Oliver following death of son

    August 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Confirmed line-ups for Mourinho’s return to LaLiga

    August 22, 2026

    Read Mark Carney’s full speech after trade talks with the U.S. collapsed

    August 22, 2026

    Kandi Burruss Debunks Reconciling With Todd Tucker

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.