Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Twins Sign Ron Marinaccio To Minor League Deal

    August 23, 2026

    Toronto FC stun Inter Miami with 3-minute scoring flurry

    August 23, 2026

    Daisy Ridley ‘Can’t Turn My Head To The Left’ After Sudden Injury

    August 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Sunday, August 23
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Spain»Eurovision to bar countries at war from hosting
    Spain

    Eurovision to bar countries at war from hosting

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 13, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Eurovision to bar countries at war from hosting
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Eurovision Song Contest organisers announced Wednesday that they were excluding any country in an armed conflict from hosting the competition, as the Bulgarian Black Sea city of Burgas will host Eurovision 2027.

    While they did not mention any country by name, Israel, which has been at war in Gaza since 2023, came close to winning the competition in both 2025 and 2026, ultimately finishing second on each occasion.

    Under the old rules, the winning country normally hosts the following year’s competition.

    Under the new rules, “the winning broadcaster will automatically be ineligible to host the contest if an armed conflict, a sensitive geopolitical situation, or any other situation materially affects the security, safety or stability of their state or immediate region”, they said in a statement.

    In a first, five countries — Spain, Ireland, the Netherlands, Slovenia and Iceland — boycotted the 2026 competition in Vienna over Israel’s participation.

    They said they could not take part alongside Israel because of its war in Gaza, triggered by Hamas’s October 7, 2023 attack on Israel.

    Martin Green, director of the Eurovision Song Contest, said in a statement that the changes had been guided by feedback from member countries.

    He added: “These changes are about giving everyone involved greater clarity, protecting artists and ensuring the contest continues to provide a safe and welcoming environment, while preserving the spirit and integrity that make the Eurovision Song Contest so special.”

    Minimum age requirement

    The organisers also announced that competitors must be at at least 18, up from 16, on the day of their first rehearsal.

    “This change continues the work already undertaken by the contest to strengthen safeguarding and protect younger artists from the pressures associated with competing at the Eurovision Song Contest,” they added in the statement.

    The youngest person to win the contest was 13-year-old Sandra Kim from Belgium in 1986, according to Eurovision records.

    Eurovision is a co-production of public broadcasters belonging to the European Broadcasting Union. Since the EBU includes members from outside Europe, the contest is not limited to European countries.

    The EBU said it could commission an independent security assessment before deciding whether a winning country is capable of hosting the event safely.

    If a winning country is found unable to host the contest, the EBU will appoint another host nation.

    Under the new rules, that country will organise the concert “in its own right” and “will not be required to stage the event on behalf of another member”.

    Ukraine hosted Eurovision in 2017 despite the conflict in the country’s east between Ukrainian forces and Moscow-backed separatists.

    But after Ukraine won the contest in 2022, it was unable to host the following year’s edition because of Russia’s full-scale invasion.

    Eurovision 2023 was instead held in Liverpool in Britain on Ukraine’s behalf.

    Bulgaria’s Black Sea city Burgas was chosen to host next year’s Eurovision Song Contest, with the final of the world’s biggest live televised music event to take place on May 15, 2027, the organisers announced on Thursday.

    It will be the first time that the Balkan nation hosts the contest after Bulgarian singer Darina Yotova, known as Dara, won this year’s contest in the Austrian capital Vienna with the catchy floor-filler “Bangaranga”.

    “The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) and Bulgarian National Television (BNT) are excited to reveal that Burgas has been selected to host the 71st Eurovision Song Contest in May 2027,” they said in a press release.

    The semi-finals will take place on May 11 and May 13, with the final on May 15, they added.

    Burgas edged out capital Sofia to stage next year’s contest following a “complex” evaluation, “covering all EBU requirements,” BNT general director Milena Milotinova told a press conference.

    Burgas is the second-largest city on Bulgaria’s Black Sea coast, with a population of around 190,000.

    An important commercial port, it is also one of the main gateways to seaside resorts along the coast, including Sunny Beach, a prime tourist destination for its golden sands.

    ‘An honour’

    The contest will be held at Arena Burgas, a multifunctional venue with 5,500 seats that can host up to 15,000 people.

    Burgas mayor Dimitar Nikolov said it was “an honour and a privilege” to be chosen.

    “Thank you for the unique chance to present Burgas, the region, and the beauty of Bulgaria. We will give it our all to perform at a high level and be remembered as a successful host,” he said.

    It is hoped the contest will provide a boost for the tourism sector, which accounts for around 8 percent of GDP in one of the EU’s poorest countries.

    Since its launch in 1955, Eurovision has become the ultimate pop platform, catapulting Swedish icons ABBA to worldwide fame, as well as boosting the likes of Celine Dion, Cliff Richard and Olivia Newton-John.

    The 2026 competition was watched by 131 million viewers, down 35 million on the year before after five countries boycotted it over Israel’s participation.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Spain

    una guía de Tokio a través de sus novelas contemporáneas

    August 22, 2026
    Spain

    Aquí hay sitio para todos menos para los que no saben estar

    August 22, 2026
    Spain

    Las empresas incumplen y el Ayuntamiento no hace nada

    August 22, 2026
    Spain

    Marruecos pide a España que devuelva a los migrantes que cruzaron a Ceuta así como a los muertos

    August 22, 2026
    Spain

    Sanidad convoca a las comunidades este lunes para enviar vacunas a Ceuta

    August 22, 2026
    Spain

    Esta ciudad francesa fue testigo del juicio y la ejecución en la hoguera de Juana de Arco

    August 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Twins Sign Ron Marinaccio To Minor League Deal

    News DeskAugust 23, 20260

    Veteran reliever Ron Marinaccio has joined the Twins on a minor league deal, per Bobby…

    Toronto FC stun Inter Miami with 3-minute scoring flurry

    August 23, 2026

    Daisy Ridley ‘Can’t Turn My Head To The Left’ After Sudden Injury

    August 23, 2026

    Serena Williams to skip U.S. Open singles in favor of mixed doubles

    August 23, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026

    In Awe: A Guide to Everyday Wonder

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Twins Sign Ron Marinaccio To Minor League Deal

    August 23, 2026

    Toronto FC stun Inter Miami with 3-minute scoring flurry

    August 23, 2026

    Daisy Ridley ‘Can’t Turn My Head To The Left’ After Sudden Injury

    August 23, 2026

    Serena Williams to skip U.S. Open singles in favor of mixed doubles

    August 23, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Twins Sign Ron Marinaccio To Minor League Deal

    August 23, 2026

    Toronto FC stun Inter Miami with 3-minute scoring flurry

    August 23, 2026

    Daisy Ridley ‘Can’t Turn My Head To The Left’ After Sudden Injury

    August 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.