Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Michelle Rodriguez Reflects On Earlier Demands Of Hollywood

    August 21, 2026

    Summer baby boom at Lois Hole Hospital for Women in Edmonton

    August 21, 2026

    Cubs Designate Owen Miller For Assignment

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, August 21
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Father convicted in Montreal girl’s murder wanted to testify away from jury
    Canada

    Father convicted in Montreal girl’s murder wanted to testify away from jury

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 15, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Father convicted in Montreal girl’s murder wanted to testify away from jury
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Before he was found guilty of the murder of his nine-year-old daughter, Luciano Frattolin did not testify in his defence. But with the jury out of the room, he said he wanted to.

    On Aug. 10, Frattolin was found guilty of second-degree murder and concealment of a human corpse in the death of Melina Frattolin.

    A New York jury convicted Frattolin of having killed his daughter on July 19, 2025, the last day of a weeklong trip to the United States. The girl’s body was found the next day near Ticonderoga, N.Y., about 400 kilometres north of New York City. The autopsy found she died from asphyxia due to drowning.

    The question of whether Frattolin would testify remained up in the air until the last morning of the trial. A few days earlier, Judge Tatiana Coffinger spoke directly to Frattolin about the possibility.

    Story continues below advertisement

    The prosecution had just rested their case and the jury had left the room. Coffinger explained to Frattolin that, because he had the right to be presumed innocent in this case, he had no obligation to testify during the trial.

    As she outlined the ramifications of this decision, he interrupted her.

    “I trust people easily. And I trusted the cops,” he said.

    The judge reminded him of his right to silence and asked him if he had been given enough time to decide.

    “I need more time,” he answered.

    She gave him the weekend, later telling his lawyers that his possible testimony would be a “game-day decision.”

    Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

    Get breaking National news

    Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

    The morning of the verdict, Coffinger checked in with Frattolin and asked him if he was planning on taking the stand.

    “I really want to,” he said, “but I was advised not to.”

    With Frattolin’s testimony ruled out, the defence rested their case after calling a single witness. It took a jury only about an hour to return with a guilty verdict.

    While Frattolin did not take the stand, the jury heard his account through police recordings. In these conversations, Frattolin claimed his daughter was kidnapped by two men who drove off in a white van.

    Story continues below advertisement


    Click to play video: 'Trial of Montreal man accused of murdering his young daughter begins in New York State'

    2:14
    Trial of Montreal man accused of murdering his young daughter begins in New York State


    He also alluded to the idea that the girl’s mother, who lives in Montreal, could have orchestrated a kidnapping. Officers quickly dismissed the theory, calling it “far-fetched.”

    In the recordings, Frattolin contradicted himself and changed his story, when informed of new evidence casting doubt on his previous claims.

    As the jury confirmed the verdict on Monday, Frattolin stood silently between his two lawyers, shaking his head slightly.


    The prosecution, who had the legal responsibility to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt, presented over two dozen witnesses over close to three weeks.

    Location data from Frattolin’s phone and car proved crucial to finding the body and proving Frattolin’s guilt, said the Essex County District Attorney, Michael Langey, after the trial was over.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Speaking to reporters after the trial, Langey said he had prepared to cross-examine Frattolin.

    “I don’t want to say I was looking forward to it, but … we were ready for it,” he said.

    A few other debates took place while the jury was out of the courtroom. On two occasions, Frattolin’s lawyers asked the judge to dismiss the case.

    Brian Pilatzke, one of the defence lawyers, argued that the prosecution had failed to prove that Frattolin was the perpetrator and that he had intended to kill Melina and conceal her body.

    Carrie Daly, first assistant district attorney for Essex County, acknowledged that the evidence in the case was circumstantial, but argued it overwhelmingly pointed to Frattolin as the perpetrator.

    She also argued that notes found in Frattolin’s car, some of which referred to “tak(ing) Melina to end” and “end(ing) her suffering,” showed intent to kill her.

    Coffinger ultimately denied the motions to dismiss.

    On Aug. 6, the judge asked everyone but the lawyers to leave the room so she could rule on whether to show the jury the last video Melina sent her mother, after defence objected to it.

    “It only serves to inflame the jury’s sympathy, that this is a young girl, and now she’s gone. It doesn’t prove a homicide,” argued Pilatzke when the jury had left the room, but before the media was sent out.

    Story continues below advertisement

    The prosecution was eventually allowed to present the video without audio. In it, Melina is seen playing with her hair and smiling.

    &copy 2026 The Canadian Press

    canada crime Luciano Frattolin Murder U.S. News
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Summer baby boom at Lois Hole Hospital for Women in Edmonton

    August 21, 2026
    Canada

    Kawacatoose First Nation members head south to retrieve stolen teepee cover from U.S.

    August 21, 2026
    Canada

    Trump to temporarily lower beef tariffs, angering U.S. cattle producers – National

    August 21, 2026
    Canada

    ‘All of a sudden it was on top of me’: Harrowing moments as plane crashes into cars on Prince George road

    August 21, 2026
    Canada

    N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case – Halifax

    August 21, 2026
    Canada

    Neutrogena responds after handling of Hayden Panettiere deal draws scrutiny – National

    August 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Michelle Rodriguez Reflects On Earlier Demands Of Hollywood

    News DeskAugust 21, 20260

    It has been 25 years, and Michelle Rodriguez is remembering her not-so-smooth transition into Hollywood.…

    Summer baby boom at Lois Hole Hospital for Women in Edmonton

    August 21, 2026

    Cubs Designate Owen Miller For Assignment

    August 21, 2026

    RFK Jr.’s barnstorming the country for the GOP

    August 21, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Charlotte FC regroup against D.C. United after another blown lead

    August 21, 2026

    Travel Leaders Network: Listening, evaluating and helping members meet their needs

    August 7, 2026

    Guest post by Lorne Fitch: 20 reasons Albertans should be concerned about conservation

    August 7, 2026

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Michelle Rodriguez Reflects On Earlier Demands Of Hollywood

    August 21, 2026

    Summer baby boom at Lois Hole Hospital for Women in Edmonton

    August 21, 2026

    Cubs Designate Owen Miller For Assignment

    August 21, 2026

    RFK Jr.’s barnstorming the country for the GOP

    August 21, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Michelle Rodriguez Reflects On Earlier Demands Of Hollywood

    August 21, 2026

    Summer baby boom at Lois Hole Hospital for Women in Edmonton

    August 21, 2026

    Cubs Designate Owen Miller For Assignment

    August 21, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.