Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Mason Disick Spotted In Rare Photo By Mom Kourtney Kardashian

    August 23, 2026

    Salah scores first goals for Trabzonspor to give new club victory

    August 23, 2026

    ‘Today’ Hoda Kotb Shares Touching Moment That Left Ex In Tears

    August 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Sunday, August 23
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»CA Politics»N.L., Quebec to make ‘energy security’ announcement Monday, amid reports of a deal
    CA Politics

    N.L., Quebec to make ‘energy security’ announcement Monday, amid reports of a deal

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 16, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    N.L., Quebec to make 'energy security' announcement Monday, amid reports of a deal
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    ST. JOHN’S — The premier of Newfoundland and Labrador says he’ll be making an announcement with his Quebec counterpart Monday amid reports the two Eastern provinces have struck a critical energy deal.

    The Newfoundland and Labrador government in a news release says Tony Wakeham will welcome Christine Fréchette for “an energy and economic development announcement” in St. John’s on Monday afternoon.

    Quebec’s energy minister, Bernard Drainville, and Hydro-Québec president and CEO Claudine Bouchard will also be there, according a notice sent to media Saturday evening.

    The two provincial governments have been negotiating a deal to share energy from the Churchill River in Labrador.

    Last week, La Presse reported they had reached an agreement. Radio-Canada reported last week that each province would receive more electricity than what was included in a previous memorandum of understanding.

    Hydro utilities in Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador jointly own the Churchill Falls generating station in Labrador, under a contract signed in 1969 and set to expire in 2041.

    The provinces unveiled a framework agreement in 2024 to end the 1969 deal and establish a new arrangement to share energy and expand the Churchill River’s generating capacity.

    But when Wakeham was elected last fall, he subjected the draft deal to an independent review and sent a negotiating team back to the bargaining table.

    Quebec is counting on the deal to secure the megawatts it needs to meet growing demand through 2075. However, Newfoundland and Labrador wanted to renegotiate the December 2024 memorandum of understanding to secure better terms.

    While Fréchette suggested last December that Quebec had other plans to secure its power supply in the event that negotiations with Newfoundland and Labrador failed, the two provinces recently appeared closer to an agreement.

    At a meeting of the country’s premiers last month, Quebec’s Fréchette said she was confident there would be a new deal “in the coming weeks.”

    At the time, Wakeham noted the two sides “were making progress” as talks continued.

    Then, amid reports last week a deal had been struck, Wakeham’s office said nobody had signed final agreements.

    However, a spokesperson for the premier added the province had recently made significant progress in its negotiations with Quebec and the government of Canada, without giving more details.

    Fréchette said the talks had “accelerated” and gave her confidence “that we can sign something in the near future.”

    Their predecessors — Andrew Furey of Newfoundland and Labrador and Quebec premier François Legault — signed an ambitious memorandum of understanding in December 2024 that appeared on track for a final agreement.

    But Furey left politics in the spring of 2025, and Wakeham’s subsequent Progressive Conservative government established a committee that concluded in May that the draft deal was not in Newfoundland and Labrador’s best interests.

    The tentative agreement was intended to resolve a long-standing dispute between the provinces by replacing the current 1969-2041 agreement governing the operation of the joint Churchill Falls power plant, which Newfoundland and Labrador considers unfair.

    And Hydro-Québec was set to make massive investments to increase production along the Churchill River through partnership projects estimated at over $30 billion.

    Currently, Hydro-Québec purchases electricity from the plant at 0.2 cents per kilowatt hour to resell it at a higher price. The draft agreement stipulates that Hydro-Québec would gradually increase the rate until 2075, reaching an effective average price of 5.9 cents per kilowatt hour, 30 times the current price.

    The tentative deal proposed a 550-megawatt upgrade to the Churchill Falls facility and a second 1,100-megawatt power house near the existing plant. It also proposed a new 2,250-megawatt power plant downstream at Gull Island.

    The existing Churchill Falls plant has a capacity of 5,428 megawatts and supplies about 15 per cent of Hydro-Québec’s electricity.

    If the agreement goes through, Quebec would have access to 7,200 megawatts to meet its needs, particularly to decarbonize its economy in accordance with international agreements on reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

    Before being defeated in the 2025 election, the Newfoundland and Labrador Liberals claimed that the proposal, if finalized as planned in April 2026, would bring the province more than $225 billion over the next 50 years.

    However, the committee appointed by Newfoundland and Labrador’s Progressive Conservative government to review the deal said the Liberals had overstated its value.

    This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 16, 2026.

    — With files from Eli Ridder, Sarah Smellie and Patrice Bergeron.

    The Canadian Press

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Politics

    ‘Canadians deserve’ to see the U.S. trade deal offer Canada abandoned

    August 23, 2026
    CA Politics

    Jared Kushner meets with Democratic leader Jeffries with House control at stake in November

    August 23, 2026
    CA Politics

    U.S. politicians condemn Trump’s ‘chaotic’ trade war against Canada

    August 23, 2026
    CA Politics

    Kelly McParland: Trump puts America’s rot on display

    August 23, 2026
    CA Politics

    Key points on the legacy of Treaty 6, first signed 150 years ago

    August 23, 2026
    CA Politics

    Politicians, dignitaries and Indigenous leaders to mark 150th anniversary of Treaty 6

    August 23, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Mason Disick Spotted In Rare Photo By Mom Kourtney Kardashian

    News DeskAugust 23, 20260

    Mason Disick, 16, looked all grown up in a rare appearance in mom Kourtney Kardashian‘s…

    Salah scores first goals for Trabzonspor to give new club victory

    August 23, 2026

    ‘Today’ Hoda Kotb Shares Touching Moment That Left Ex In Tears

    August 23, 2026

    Who’s behind the new ‘stealth model’ Ox Alpha?

    August 23, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Ottawa Redblacks fire vice president of football ops Shawn Burke

    August 23, 2026

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Mason Disick Spotted In Rare Photo By Mom Kourtney Kardashian

    August 23, 2026

    Salah scores first goals for Trabzonspor to give new club victory

    August 23, 2026

    ‘Today’ Hoda Kotb Shares Touching Moment That Left Ex In Tears

    August 23, 2026

    Who’s behind the new ‘stealth model’ Ox Alpha?

    August 23, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Mason Disick Spotted In Rare Photo By Mom Kourtney Kardashian

    August 23, 2026

    Salah scores first goals for Trabzonspor to give new club victory

    August 23, 2026

    ‘Today’ Hoda Kotb Shares Touching Moment That Left Ex In Tears

    August 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.