Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Mariners Designate Jhonathan Diaz, Select Kade Anderson

    August 22, 2026

    Gypsy Rose Blanchard Apologizes For Racist Prison Calls

    August 22, 2026

    Is It Worth Using In The Car?

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Canada, U.S. officials to meet again as 50% tariffs to take effect in 3 days
    Canada

    Canada, U.S. officials to meet again as 50% tariffs to take effect in 3 days

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 16, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Canada, U.S. officials to meet again as 50% tariffs to take effect in 3 days
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Canadian and U.S. officials are set to meet again Sunday with the new tariffs proposed by President Donald Trump set to take effect in just three days.

    A spokesperson for the minister responsible for Canada-U.S. trade, said Dominic LeBlanc is set to speak with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer at 4:30 p.m. Eastern.

    “Their meeting will be an opportunity to take stock of the work that has been accomplished by their respective negotiating teams, and the work that still lies ahead, as we seek to reach a comprehensive deal that delivers for businesses, workers, farmers and families on both sides of the border,” said Gabriel Brunet, LeBlanc’s spokesperson, in a statement.

    The meeting comes as the U.S. is set to impose a 50 per cent tariff on some Canadian goods on Wednesday, raising concerns among politicians, industries and the public.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Earlier on Sunday, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre argued tariffs must be removed on Canadian softwood lumber in any trade deal made.

    “It is unacceptable for there to be U.S. tariffs on Canadian lumber,” he said during a news conference Sunday. “It’s time for Mark Carney to keep his promise that he would negotiate a win and get the tariffs off Canadian softwood lumber. No more concessions while getting nothing in return.”


    Click to play video: 'Pierre Poilievre says Carney’s approach to U.S. trade negotiations has ‘failed demonstrably’'

    1:29
    Pierre Poilievre says Carney’s approach to U.S. trade negotiations has ‘failed demonstrably’


    Such relief may not come to fruition in the latest negotiations, based on information from sources Global News has agreed not to identify because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the trade talks.

    Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

    Get daily National news

    Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

    The gap on potential relief for the softwood lumber industry for now seems unlikely, with two sources with knowledge of the talks saying the Americans are not interested in reducing softwood tariffs and duties, which currently sit at 45 per cent.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Last week, B.C. Premier David Eby criticized the high tariff rates.

    “We face higher tariffs than Russia,” B.C. Premier David Eby, whose province has a large lumber industry, said on Friday. “The U.S., for some inexplicable reason, is putting forest families out of work here in order to prioritize lumber imports from Europe and Russia.”


    Click to play video: 'Hodgson says money earmarked for forest products will help industry pivot from reliance on U.S.'

    3:13
    Hodgson says money earmarked for forest products will help industry pivot from reliance on U.S.



    While Eby, Poilievre and others are urging a fight on softwood lumber, other factors are being considered in the talks.

    But as of Friday, a big gap remained between the two sides, according to sources with direct knowledge of the trade negotiations.

    One source told Global News that Canada has had to fight to even negotiate on softwood lumber.

    Any deal the Trump administration is willing to sign will have some form of tariffs on steel, aluminum, autos and lumber, according to sources, with the U.S. also insisting American alcohol be put back onto all provincial liquor store shelves, which multiple premiers have expressed a willingness to do if enough U.S. concessions are made.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Canada’s goal remains reaching a deal before Wednesday to avoid new 50 per cent tariffs on roughly $28 billion worth of Canadian goods from taking effect.

    If a deal is reached, tariffs on Canadian autos and parts compliant under the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) would remain in place, but it is expected that they would be reduced from the current 25 per cent level, according to a source familiar with the talks. One proposal that has been discussed is a tariff rate of between 10-15 per cent on CUSMA compliant autos and parts, according to one source.

    Auto industry leaders have criticized the move, while Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown said Saturday that “no deal is better than a bad deal” if the auto sector is not included in talks.

    —with files from Global News’ Reggie Cecchini, Mackenzie Gray and Sergio Vargas

    &copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

    canada Donald Trump Pierre Poilievre politics Softwood lumber tariffs
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Unifor, General Motors reach tentative deal for thousands of Ontario auto workers

    August 22, 2026
    Canada

    WATCH: Carney says Canada ‘walking away from a bad deal’ as 50% tariffs hit

    August 22, 2026
    Canada

    The Curator: The best denim to shop in 2026 – National

    August 22, 2026
    Canada

    National 2SLGBTQ+ monument holds special meaning for those purged from civil service for being gay

    August 22, 2026
    Canada

    Active shooter incident pauses Fireweed Festival in Fort Smith, N.W.T.

    August 22, 2026
    CA Politics

    The government says this golf trolley is a Chinese EV

    August 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Mariners Designate Jhonathan Diaz, Select Kade Anderson

    News DeskAugust 22, 20260

    By Mark Polishuk | at August 22, 2026 12:55pm CDT Kade Anderson is officially in…

    Gypsy Rose Blanchard Apologizes For Racist Prison Calls

    August 22, 2026

    Is It Worth Using In The Car?

    August 22, 2026

    Lewis-Potter and Janelt on target as Brentford batter big-spending Tottenham

    August 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Trump urges court to reject BBC’s bid to secure records from his family in defamation case

    August 22, 2026

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Mariners Designate Jhonathan Diaz, Select Kade Anderson

    August 22, 2026

    Gypsy Rose Blanchard Apologizes For Racist Prison Calls

    August 22, 2026

    Is It Worth Using In The Car?

    August 22, 2026

    Lewis-Potter and Janelt on target as Brentford batter big-spending Tottenham

    August 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Mariners Designate Jhonathan Diaz, Select Kade Anderson

    August 22, 2026

    Gypsy Rose Blanchard Apologizes For Racist Prison Calls

    August 22, 2026

    Is It Worth Using In The Car?

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.