Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Rahul Dravid shares key advice for Vaibhav Suryavanshi ahead of Duleep Trophy

    August 22, 2026

    Ben Johnson ‘encouraged’ by Canadian blocker Theo Benedet’s progress with Chicago Bears

    August 22, 2026

    Hull v Manchester United: Commentary, updates, goals and stats

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»A look at Manitoba’s first safe consumption site 1 week after opening – Winnipeg
    Canada

    A look at Manitoba’s first safe consumption site 1 week after opening – Winnipeg

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    A look at Manitoba’s first safe consumption site 1 week after opening - Winnipeg
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    More than 125 people have utilized Manitoba’s first safe consumption site during its inaugural week.

    Located at 366 Henry Ave., the concept sparked a stark divide between some who viewed it as a valuable harm reduction tool and others who believed it would promote drug use and negatively impact the surrounding neighbourhood.

    For one outreach organization, the addition has been effective so far.

    “It’s going well, people are using the site,” says Main Street Project executive director Jamil Mamood.

    “We think it’s important people understand what’s happening and why it’s important, and [to] also know that people need this service to stay alive. If that’s [a safe consumption site] the best way to do it, then we should be providing it.”

    Story continues below advertisement

    The province has stressed since the opening date of the site was first floated that it’s not a location where drugs would be provided. Instead, users bring their own products and can take them and be supported should issues arise.

    Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

    Get daily National news

    Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

    Still, some believe the site is part of an approach by the province that’s far too lenient.

    That includes Joseph Fourre with the Singing Red Bear Foundation, an organization aimed at raising drug poisoning awareness.

    “I’ve always talked about a balanced approach to the opioid crisis and part of that is treatment, part of that is enforcement, and part of that is public awareness,” explains Fourre. “None of those other three pillars are being activated in this province. They put all their cards on harm reduction and, in my opinion, it’s only prolonged the agony of addiction.”

    When utilizing the site, the province says users can access primary health care and addictions and housing supports.

    The consumption site is being run by the Aboriginal Health and Wellness Centre. No one from the organization was available for an interview, but a statement was provided to Global News.

    “Throughout its first full week of operation, the site provided immediate access to crucial harm reduction resources, including the successful administration of on-site drug checking services. Beyond the immediate medical benefits, the facility has quickly established itself as a trusted environment for vulnerable individuals.”

    Story continues below advertisement

    The statement goes on to say the work has been a collaborative effort between government, sector agencies and first responders.

    According to the city, this April saw 810 emergency responses to drug poisonings. That’s more than triple the amount in the same time period last year.

     

     

     

    news safe consumption site
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    US Sports

    Rahul Dravid shares key advice for Vaibhav Suryavanshi ahead of Duleep Trophy

    August 22, 2026
    US Sports

    Mitchell Starc, Shoriful Islam six-fors headline Australia’s dominance on Day 1 of Mackay Test against Bangladesh

    August 22, 2026
    US Sports

    AUS vs BAN: Mitchell Starc surpasses Dale Steyn’s Test record during 2nd Test

    August 22, 2026
    US Sports

    Fans react as England dominate Pakistan to secure emphatic first Test win at Headingley

    August 22, 2026
    US Sports

    Hanuma Vihari makes big prediction about Manav Suthar after India’s win over Sri Lanka in 1st Test

    August 22, 2026
    Canada

    Blanchard hits walk-off field goal in Elks’ win

    August 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Rahul Dravid shares key advice for Vaibhav Suryavanshi ahead of Duleep Trophy

    News DeskAugust 22, 20260

    Vaibhav Suryavanshi has already achieved plenty at an age when most young cricketers are only…

    Ben Johnson ‘encouraged’ by Canadian blocker Theo Benedet’s progress with Chicago Bears

    August 22, 2026

    Hull v Manchester United: Commentary, updates, goals and stats

    August 22, 2026

    Line-ups confirmed for Red Devil’s trip to promoted side

    August 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026

    In Awe: A Guide to Everyday Wonder

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Rahul Dravid shares key advice for Vaibhav Suryavanshi ahead of Duleep Trophy

    August 22, 2026

    Ben Johnson ‘encouraged’ by Canadian blocker Theo Benedet’s progress with Chicago Bears

    August 22, 2026

    Hull v Manchester United: Commentary, updates, goals and stats

    August 22, 2026

    Line-ups confirmed for Red Devil’s trip to promoted side

    August 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Rahul Dravid shares key advice for Vaibhav Suryavanshi ahead of Duleep Trophy

    August 22, 2026

    Ben Johnson ‘encouraged’ by Canadian blocker Theo Benedet’s progress with Chicago Bears

    August 22, 2026

    Hull v Manchester United: Commentary, updates, goals and stats

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.