Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Daisy Ridley ‘Can’t Turn My Head To The Left’ After Sudden Injury

    August 23, 2026

    Serena Williams to skip U.S. Open singles in favor of mixed doubles

    August 23, 2026

    Schachter, Pickett stun Sweden at Elite16 Men’s Beach Volleyball

    August 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Sunday, August 23
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»US Politics»Supreme Court allows Trump’s ballroom construction to continue for now : NPR
    US Politics

    Supreme Court allows Trump’s ballroom construction to continue for now : NPR

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 21, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Supreme Court allows Trump’s ballroom construction to continue for now : NPR
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The Supreme Court ruled Friday that President Trump can — for now — move forward with construction of his ballroom on the site of the former East Wing of the White House without needing approval from Congress.

    The new ballroom is estimated to cost taxpayers at least $300 million despite the president saying repeatedly that taxpayers would not foot the bill.

    The ruling comes after months of back and forth between the Trump administration and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which sued to stop the construction of the ballroom. The nonprofit organization has argued that the president must get approval from Congress to build over the East Wing of the White House, the side that held offices for the first lady.

    The new ballroom is expected to be a 90,000-square-foot addition to the White House and twice the size of the main part of the White House complex.

    Trump has argued for months that the new ballroom is a necessity, often pointing to the lack of space to host events with foreign dignitaries. He’s also said that the ballroom will house critical national security benefits, including bomb shelters, a hospital, sniper nests and a drone port.

    The Supreme Court had until Friday to weigh in after lower courts had differing rulings on the ballroom for the last few months.

    In a brief order, signed by Chief Justice John Roberts, the court stayed the lower court ruling to pause construction.

    In their brief filed earlier this week, the trust asserted that if the Supreme Court allowed construction to continue at this time, they were effectively ending the case.

    “Rather than obtain permission from Congress, Petitioners have instead decided to try to outrun judicial review” by accelerating construction. “It is clear that in Petitioners’ view, if the Court grants their stay application, this case is over—despite every court to have reviewed their project having found it to be patently unlawful, and no matter the fact that this Court has not reviewed those decisions on the merits,” they wrote.

    The court proceedings started in March, when Republican-appointed federal Judge Richard Leon ruled against Trump on the ballroom, saying the construction needed to stop unless it was additions to the White House that involved safety and security.The ruling then went to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, which decided that construction could temporarily continue. Leon then clarified and said below-ground construction of the ballroom could continue, but above-ground could not.

    Trump responded on social media, writing, “It’s all tied together as one big, expensive, and very complex unit, which is vital for National Security and Military Operations of the United States of America!”

    The case then went back to the appeals court but the Trump administration requested an emergency appeal with the Supreme Court.

    Construction of the ballroom began last July and has involved closing off access to the north side of the White House and Lafayette Park, which were previously open to the public. Polling shows the project, along with many of Trump’s other efforts to remake the capital city, are unpopular among voters.

    An April poll from Washington Post-ABC News-Ipsos showed 56% of Americans did not approve of Trump’s decision to tear down the East Wing and build the ballroom.

    NPR’s Emily Feng contributed reporting from Washington.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    US Politics

    The complexities of covering swing voters and what they teach us about politics

    August 22, 2026
    US Politics

    Log Cabin Republicans drop transgender advocacy

    August 22, 2026
    US Politics

    Angie Nixon compares ICE agents to ‘modern-day slave catchers’

    August 22, 2026
    US Politics

    Appeals court tosses $130,000 verdict against James O’Keefe in 2016 sting

    August 22, 2026
    US Politics

    Karoline Leavitt to join Trump’s super PAC after leaving White House

    August 22, 2026
    US Politics

    Trump urges court to reject BBC’s bid to secure records from his family in defamation case

    August 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Daisy Ridley ‘Can’t Turn My Head To The Left’ After Sudden Injury

    News DeskAugust 23, 20260

    Actress Daisy Ridley, best known for her portrayal of Rey in the “Star Wars” sequel…

    Serena Williams to skip U.S. Open singles in favor of mixed doubles

    August 23, 2026

    Schachter, Pickett stun Sweden at Elite16 Men’s Beach Volleyball

    August 23, 2026

    Dodgers’ Tyler Glasnow To Return On Tuesday

    August 23, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026

    How content creators are boosting Saskatchewan tourism

    August 23, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Daisy Ridley ‘Can’t Turn My Head To The Left’ After Sudden Injury

    August 23, 2026

    Serena Williams to skip U.S. Open singles in favor of mixed doubles

    August 23, 2026

    Schachter, Pickett stun Sweden at Elite16 Men’s Beach Volleyball

    August 23, 2026

    Dodgers’ Tyler Glasnow To Return On Tuesday

    August 23, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Daisy Ridley ‘Can’t Turn My Head To The Left’ After Sudden Injury

    August 23, 2026

    Serena Williams to skip U.S. Open singles in favor of mixed doubles

    August 23, 2026

    Schachter, Pickett stun Sweden at Elite16 Men’s Beach Volleyball

    August 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.