Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    The government says this golf trolley is a Chinese EV

    August 22, 2026

    Esta ciudad francesa fue testigo del juicio y la ejecución en la hoguera de Juana de Arco

    August 22, 2026

    La burocracia financiera, principal freno para las empresas

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Science & Technology»US Science & Tech»TikTok Will Pay $400 Million To Settle Justice Department Lawsuit Over Child Privacy
    US Science & Tech

    TikTok Will Pay $400 Million To Settle Justice Department Lawsuit Over Child Privacy

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 21, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    TikTok Will Pay $400 Million To Settle Justice Department Lawsuit Over Child Privacy
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The DoJ said the app has made significant strides in privacy protections since the 2024 suit.



    Mario Tama/Getty Images

    TikTok and ByteDance have reached an agreement with the Department of Justice to settle a lawsuit that claimed the app broke children’s privacy laws. The settlement is one of the “largest recoveries ever obtained” for a case related to the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), the DoJ said in a statement.

    The settlement dates back to a 2024 lawsuit brought by then-President Joe Biden’s Justice Department. The DoJ alleged that the company had violated the terms of an earlier FTC settlement related to its acquisition of Musical.ly. It further accused the app of violating COPPA by allowing children under 13 to create TikTok accounts and wrongfully collecting data about children who used it in “Kids Mode.” The company also “frequently failed” to comply with requests from parents to delete their children’s data, the DoJ said at the time.

    In announcing the settlement, the Justice Department noted that the app has since “undergone significant changes to its ownership, management, compliance functions, and privacy practices.” TikTok finalized a deal earlier this year that created a new entity for its US business. Known as TikTok USDS Joint Venture, the new company is controlled by a group of investors, including Oracle, Silver Lake and MGX. ByteDance retained a 19.9 percent stake in the company.

    “The company has implemented extensive measures designed to strengthen safeguards for younger users, improve age-related controls, and enhance parental oversight,” the DoJ said in a statement. “Those developments have materially advanced the public interests underlying the Department’s litigation and have strengthened protections for millions of American families.”

    Under the terms of the settlement, “TikTok will pay $300 million immediately,” and pay another $100 million after its prior agreement with FTC is vacated, the DoJ said. TikTok and ByteDance didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

    The settlement is the latest hurdle the company has cleared after years of intense scrutiny over its privacy practices and ties to China. Earlier this month, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) officially cleared the way for federal workers to once again use the app after a 2022 law banned it from most government-issued devices.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    US Science & Tech

    Apple Reportedly Cut More Than 200 Jobs Across Vision Pro And Siri Software Teams

    August 22, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    Michael Polansky is training an AI model on skin that’s still alive

    August 22, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    Japanese space tech startup Letara expands beyond satellite thrusters with $16M

    August 22, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    Anthropic’s Opus 4.6 is a smut-machine

    August 21, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    Nvidia partners with data center developer Cloverleaf

    August 21, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    How AI accounting startup Rillet raised $100M and became a unicorn in 48 hours

    August 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    The government says this golf trolley is a Chinese EV

    News DeskAugust 22, 20260

    The letter from CBSA, obtained by National Post, concludes that its review of the matter found that…

    Esta ciudad francesa fue testigo del juicio y la ejecución en la hoguera de Juana de Arco

    August 22, 2026

    La burocracia financiera, principal freno para las empresas

    August 22, 2026

    Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths

    August 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Travel Leaders Network: Listening, evaluating and helping members meet their needs

    August 7, 2026

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    The government says this golf trolley is a Chinese EV

    August 22, 2026

    Esta ciudad francesa fue testigo del juicio y la ejecución en la hoguera de Juana de Arco

    August 22, 2026

    La burocracia financiera, principal freno para las empresas

    August 22, 2026

    Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths

    August 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    The government says this golf trolley is a Chinese EV

    August 22, 2026

    Esta ciudad francesa fue testigo del juicio y la ejecución en la hoguera de Juana de Arco

    August 22, 2026

    La burocracia financiera, principal freno para las empresas

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.