Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ‘Mama June’ Pumpkin Efird’s Daughter Blacklisted Over OnlyFans

    August 22, 2026

    Hayden Panettiere’s Boyfriend’s Bizarre Videos Resurface

    August 22, 2026

    Giancarlo Stanton Sustains New Calf Injury

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Alberta minister faces more fury at second town hall on AI data centres
    Canada

    Alberta minister faces more fury at second town hall on AI data centres

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 21, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Alberta minister faces more fury at second town hall on AI data centres
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 4 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

    Alberta’s technology minister faced yet another firing line of fury at the government’s second town hall hearing from residents over its plan for artificial intelligence data centres.

    Nate Glubish was peppered with profanity from audience members at the Thursday event in Redwater, north of Edmonton, in Sturgeon County.

    Last month, tech giant Meta announced plans to build a $13-billion AI data centre project in the region. It is to be fed by a $4.6-billion natural gas-fired power plant.

    People lined up to the microphone to level their concerns and demand specifics on safeguards. Some said trust in the provincial government has already been lost on the file.

    Sturgeon County resident, Connie Shields, said she doesn’t trust the government to properly regulate projects like these.

    “You are the people we elected. You should be saying what we’re telling you to say,” Shields said.

    “You shouldn’t be making up your own rules, you shouldn’t be dictating what goes where.”

    Another woman in the crowd said Premier Danielle Smith’s United Conservative government spent more than two years planning its strategy and only recently notified locals.

    “If no one wants this, why are you pushing forward with this?” she asked, to applause.

    The cheers were loud, but not unanimous.

    “Lots of people not applauding,” said event moderator and political staffer Vitor Marciano, who stepped in before the minister responded.

    Under a barrage of angry interruptions, Glubish sought to offer what he said was his best answer to the woman’s question.

    “This was zoned for this for over 30 years, and now it is coming to fruition,” he said.

    Jobs ‘all day long,’ minister pledges

    Other speakers expressed concern that local resources, such as water, land and electricity, might be sucked dry by the megaproject. Some were also skeptical about the promised jobs.

    Glubish said Meta’s project represents indirect economic benefits, and that 300 jobs are nothing to brush past.

    “If we have a choice between 300 jobs and zero jobs, I’m taking 300 jobs all day long,” said Glubish.

    Throughout the night, audience members hurled multiple expletives toward Glubish. The crowd also heckled the minister and made interjections as he spoke.

    Glubish also took heat for the Smith government’s use of the notwithstanding clause, a once-rarely-used provision that can override rights in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

    One man in the crowd described that decision as “slimy” and questioned how Albertans could trust the provincial government.

    “I’m sorry to hear that you have such a jaded view of the government,” Glubish responded, to boos.

    “All I can offer is that I’m going to do the best of my ability to ensure that any development in data centres is done responsibly. I care deeply about this province.”

    Thursday’s event came one day after Glubish was met with jeers, badgering and boos during a town hall in the central Alberta town of Lacombe.

    He has said AI technology is going to be built globally, no matter what happens in Alberta. He said the province should take advantage of the investment, jobs and private investment in power generation.

    WATCH | Protestors descend as data centre construction begins:

    Albertans speak out against Meta’s new data centre

    Protestors gathered in Morinville, Alta., on Sunday afternoon to push back against a new data centre being built in Sturgeon County. The CBC’s Tristan Mottershead reports.

    Ben Baril, an anti-data centre activist and organizer, told reporters Thursday’s town hall became a protest.

    He said the government isn’t interested in gathering public opinion.

    “The more that they come out and humiliate themselves in front of large crowds, more and more people see how disingenuous they are,” Baril said.

    He added that opponents need to keep pestering public officials about the issue.

    Glubish reiterated that the province has developed strict rules to protect local water supplies and keep power bills under control.

    He has also promised that further setback rules that ensure megaprojects aren’t built near residential areas are on the way.

    “We are just at the start of a new industry, and we are taking the time to make sure that we get the regulatory framework in place,” he said Thursday.

    Smith is set to join Glubish for a virtual town hall Aug. 27. Another in-person town hall is set for next month in Grande Prairie.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    WATCH: Carney says Canada ‘walking away from a bad deal’ as 50% tariffs hit

    August 22, 2026
    Canada

    The Curator: The best denim to shop in 2026 – National

    August 22, 2026
    Canada

    Active shooter incident pauses Fireweed Festival in Fort Smith, N.W.T.

    August 22, 2026
    Canada

    A grim property search, 3 grieving families and ‘a lot of questions’ in this eastern Ontario area

    August 22, 2026
    Canada

    Blanchard hits walk-off field goal in Elks’ win

    August 22, 2026
    Canada

    Canada vows dollar-for-dollar response to Trump’s 50% tariffs – National

    August 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    ‘Mama June’ Pumpkin Efird’s Daughter Blacklisted Over OnlyFans

    News DeskAugust 22, 20260

    Mama June’s daughter, Lauryn ‘Pumpkin’ Efird, is proud of her hard work on OnlyFans and…

    Hayden Panettiere’s Boyfriend’s Bizarre Videos Resurface

    August 22, 2026

    Giancarlo Stanton Sustains New Calf Injury

    August 22, 2026

    Before You Buy A Used GameCube, Check For This Common Issue

    August 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Giancarlo Stanton Sustains New Calf Injury

    August 22, 2026

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    ‘Mama June’ Pumpkin Efird’s Daughter Blacklisted Over OnlyFans

    August 22, 2026

    Hayden Panettiere’s Boyfriend’s Bizarre Videos Resurface

    August 22, 2026

    Giancarlo Stanton Sustains New Calf Injury

    August 22, 2026

    Before You Buy A Used GameCube, Check For This Common Issue

    August 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    ‘Mama June’ Pumpkin Efird’s Daughter Blacklisted Over OnlyFans

    August 22, 2026

    Hayden Panettiere’s Boyfriend’s Bizarre Videos Resurface

    August 22, 2026

    Giancarlo Stanton Sustains New Calf Injury

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.