Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    The MND News Quiz of the Week: August 22nd

    August 22, 2026

    Democrats see political gain in Ohio’s health care pain

    August 22, 2026

    Mariners Designate Jhonathan Diaz, Select Kade Anderson

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»WATCH: Carney says Canada ‘walking away from a bad deal’ as 50% tariffs hit
    Canada

    WATCH: Carney says Canada ‘walking away from a bad deal’ as 50% tariffs hit

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 22, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    WATCH: Carney says Canada ‘walking away from a bad deal’ as 50% tariffs hit
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Prime Minister Mark Carney says Canada is “walking away from a bad deal” with the United States and will match 50 per cent tariffs “dollar-for-dollar” in industries like steel and dairy.

    Carney confirmed he was “reluctantly” adding tariffs that would add costs in some areas for Canadians, but insisted they were necessary to retaliate against United States President Donald Trump’s levies.

    “We cannot accept what they’ve offered, and we will not give what they asked,” Carney declared in Ottawa on Saturday morning.

    The prime minister said talks had taken place with the United States over the past year, and accelerated in recent days. He suggested his team had been skeptical, but optimistic a deal could be reached.

    Carney said Canada’s trade negotiations had taken place knowing the United States’ “signature was written in pencil,” with negotiators still hoping to “strike a fair deal” with its southern neighbour.

    Story continues below advertisement

    “We can’t control the storm that blows in from Washington,” the prime minister said. “We can, however, chart a new course by building Canada strong at home and diversifying our trading relationships abroad.”

    He added the United States “asked too much and offered too little” as negotiations dragged on this week.

    Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said in a post on social media he was “disappointed” the United States had chosen to levy more tariffs.

    “Canadians must stand united to defend our country against these unfair attacks on our jobs and businesses,” he wrote.

    “Canada cannot accept one-sided tariffs that will deindustrialize our country. Nor can we accept a bad deal. Instead, we must continue the fight for tariff-free trade. Later today, I will seek a call with the Prime Minister to discuss what we can do to fight for our workers, businesses, and economy.”

    The tariffs had initially been set to take effect on Wednesday, before United States President Donald Trump delayed them by three days to allow intensifying trade talks to continue.

    Story continues below advertisement

    While the president claimed “we have a deal” with Canada, officials on the Canadian side were more cautious, pointing to disagreements on the finer details of legal language.

    Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

    Get daily National news

    Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

    Then, in a statement late on Friday, Carney said Canada was suspending trade negotiations and recalling its negotiating team to Ottawa, arguing that last-minute changes to the U.S. position were unfair, uneconomic and raised questions about the reliability of any agreement.

    Carney said on Friday night that recent progress had not been enough to meet Canada’s objectives, which included preserving broad access to the U.S. market, reducing tariffs on key sectors and protecting Canadian businesses.


    U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, however, blamed Canada for the collapse of the talks, saying Ottawa declined to finalize a deal under terms agreed to earlier in the week.

    As the trade talks collapsed, Canada’s premiers voiced broad support for Carney’s approach.

    Story continues below advertisement

    British Columbia’s David Eby said he was in favour of a tough approach and that Canadian “politeness should never be mistaken for weakness.”

    On Saturday morning, Ontario Premier Doug Ford — who maintained his silence until after talks concluded — released a letter he sent to the prime minister earlier this week, advocating for “a coordinated dollar-for-dollar, tariff-for-tariff response and the continuation of existing countermeasures.”

    Alberta Premier Danielle Smith, who has been the most vocal opponent of retaliatory tariffs, said she didn’t want to see the countermeasures.

    “My first concern today is for the Albertans and Canadians whose livelihoods are at risk from these new tariffs and counter-tariffs,” she wrote in a social media post on Friday night.

    “I welcome the federal government’s intention to provide relief for those businesses that are impacted.”

    Before the deal collapsed, Carney had asked premiers to restock American alcohol in provincial liquor stores, a move that would have taken away a countermeasure that has angered Trump.

    Carney will meet with Canada’s premiers at 1:30 p.m.

    — with files from Global News’ Sean Boynton, Alessia Simona Maratta & Jace Maki 

    &copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

    canada Canada-U.S. trade canadian politics donald trump tariffs politics U.S. News
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Unifor, General Motors reach tentative deal for thousands of Ontario auto workers

    August 22, 2026
    CA Politics

    Read Mark Carney’s full statement on the collapse of trade talks with the U.S.

    August 22, 2026
    Canada

    The Curator: The best denim to shop in 2026 – National

    August 22, 2026
    Canada

    National 2SLGBTQ+ monument holds special meaning for those purged from civil service for being gay

    August 22, 2026
    Canada

    Active shooter incident pauses Fireweed Festival in Fort Smith, N.W.T.

    August 22, 2026
    Canada

    A grim property search, 3 grieving families and ‘a lot of questions’ in this eastern Ontario area

    August 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    The MND News Quiz of the Week: August 22nd

    News DeskAugust 22, 20260

    What’s been going on in the news this week? Our weekly quiz is here to…

    Democrats see political gain in Ohio’s health care pain

    August 22, 2026

    Mariners Designate Jhonathan Diaz, Select Kade Anderson

    August 22, 2026

    Gypsy Rose Blanchard Apologizes For Racist Prison Calls

    August 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026

    In Awe: A Guide to Everyday Wonder

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    The MND News Quiz of the Week: August 22nd

    August 22, 2026

    Democrats see political gain in Ohio’s health care pain

    August 22, 2026

    Mariners Designate Jhonathan Diaz, Select Kade Anderson

    August 22, 2026

    Gypsy Rose Blanchard Apologizes For Racist Prison Calls

    August 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    The MND News Quiz of the Week: August 22nd

    August 22, 2026

    Democrats see political gain in Ohio’s health care pain

    August 22, 2026

    Mariners Designate Jhonathan Diaz, Select Kade Anderson

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.