Lionel Messi scored again for Inter Miami but could not prevent his side from slipping to a fourth defeat in five games after Toronto claimed a 2-1 win on Saturday.
Messi reduced the deficit with eight minutes of normal time remaining, meeting a Rodrigo De Paul pass with a first-time finish to give Miami hope of rescuing a result at Nu Stadium.
Toronto had already done the damage, though, scoring twice within three second-half minutes through Josh Sargent and Derrick Etienne Jr.
The defeat continues a difficult spell for Miami, who have now gone almost a month without winning an MLS game.
They were knocked out of the Leagues Cup after two defeats and also suffered a heavy 4-1 loss at Nashville SC last weekend. A 2-2 draw with Philadelphia Union in midweek, when Messi was also on the scoresheet, briefly stopped the slide.
Messi’s latest goal was his 14th of the season, but his contribution was not enough to prevent Miami from losing further ground at the top of the Eastern Conference.
Nashville’s advantage has now grown to 10 points, while Miami remain second but will have to start looking over their shoulder with the fight for playoff positions becoming increasingly tight.
Hoyos takes responsibility for defeat
Miami head coach Guillermo Hoyos accepted responsibility for the team’s poor run but said the squad must find a way to respond.
“We’re going through a difficult spell with results that we hadn’t experienced before,” Hoyos said.
“That affects the mindset and sometimes things don’t go our way because of that.
“I’ll say the same thing I always do: when we’re losing, the responsibility is mine. Together with the people around me, we have to find solutions and get this turned around as quickly as possible.”
Hoyos replaced Javier Mascherano as head coach in April after previously working as Miami’s sporting director.
The Argentine said he had not received any indication from the club’s owners that his position was under threat despite the team’s recent form.
The loss also came shortly after Messi and defender Ian Fray were fined by MLS over separate incidents during the draw with Philadelphia, with both players found to have made contact with opponents around the head and neck area.
