Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    This Week In Epic News: FTC Probe, AI Agents & More

    August 22, 2026

    Brampton man sentenced for kidnapping, attempted kidnapping 2 women 2 days apart

    August 22, 2026

    Inside the $37,000 Private Jet That Flew ‘Let’s Marry Harry’ to Vegas

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»United States»A Kansas town will pay $850K to end a reporter’s lawsuit over a 2023 raid on her paper’s offices
    United States

    A Kansas town will pay $850K to end a reporter’s lawsuit over a 2023 raid on her paper’s offices

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 12, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    A Kansas town will pay $850K to end a reporter’s lawsuit over a 2023 raid on her paper’s offices
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    TOPEKA, Kan. — A small Kansas town has agreed to pay $850,000 to a former reporter at its weekly newspaper to end her federal lawsuit over a police raid of the paper’s offices in 2023 that ignited a national furor over press freedom.

    Now-retired Marion County Record reporter Phyllis Zorn said in her lawsuit that the raid violated press freedoms and protections from unreasonable law enforcement searches guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. She also said it almost immediately led to health problems, causing the return of potentially life-threatening seizures that had been controlled for years with medication.

    Zorn’s attorney, Randy Rathbun, and an attorney for the city Marion, Jennifer Hill, filed a joint statement Tuesday – the third anniversary of the raid on the newspaper’s offices – that Zorn’s lawsuit was being dismissed. It was among the lawsuits filed in federal court against local officials over the raids of the newspaper’s offices, the home of Publisher Eric Meyer and the home of a former City Council member.

    Rathbun did not immediately return a phone message Wednesday seeking comment. Another attorney for the city, Scott Ufford, declined to comment about the settlement but confirmed the amount.

    Marion Police Chief Gideon Cody said he was investigating whether the paper had committed identity theft or other crimes in accessing a local restaurant owner’s state driving record, but authorities who examined the raids said they were not legally justified. Meyer, Zorn and others saw the raids as retaliation for hard-hitting local coverage and efforts to gather information about Cody’s past in law enforcement.

    The raids put a national spotlight on Marion, a town of about 1,900 residents about 150 miles southwest of Kansas City, and Cody later resigned. Meyer’s 98-year-old-mother, also the paper’s co-owner, who lived with him, died the day after the raids, and he blames stress from the raid at their home for her death.

    Marion County agreed in November to pay a little more than $3 million to parties in the five lawsuits, including $600,000 to Zorn, to settle claims against its officials. While some of the remaining legal claims against the city and past and present officials have been settled or dismissed, some still remain, and a pretrial Zoom hearing is scheduled for Oct. 15.

    Questions about Cody’s conduct after the state launched an investigation of the raid led two special prosecutors to file a felony obstruction of justice charge against him in state district court, alleging that he persuaded a witness, the local restaurant owner, to withhold information from authorities. He pleaded not guilty, and a trial set for the end of this month has been postponed.

    Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    United States

    N.J. teen drops lawsuit against Facebook, Instagram that alleged online addiction

    August 21, 2026
    United States

    Trump moves to cancel American Bar Association accreditation of law schools

    August 21, 2026
    United States

    Late-term abortions could surge in blue states that end gestational limits, researchers say

    August 21, 2026
    United States

    Dearborn pastor decries ‘Sharia law’ as protests end in 22 arrests

    August 21, 2026
    United States

    Teacher accused of sending fake active shooter alerts to 5 schools in Louisiana

    August 21, 2026
    United States

    Darth Vader crashes San Diego meeting to mock Flock spy cameras

    August 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    This Week In Epic News: FTC Probe, AI Agents & More

    News DeskAugust 22, 20260

    This week was a big one for Epic — the EHR giant hosted its annual…

    Brampton man sentenced for kidnapping, attempted kidnapping 2 women 2 days apart

    August 22, 2026

    Inside the $37,000 Private Jet That Flew ‘Let’s Marry Harry’ to Vegas

    August 22, 2026

    Live Now: Blue Bombers at Elks game tracker

    August 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Brian Hickerson, Brother Tried to Save Hayden Panettiere’s Life

    August 21, 2026

    Travel Leaders Network: Listening, evaluating and helping members meet their needs

    August 7, 2026

    Guest post by Lorne Fitch: 20 reasons Albertans should be concerned about conservation

    August 7, 2026

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    This Week In Epic News: FTC Probe, AI Agents & More

    August 22, 2026

    Brampton man sentenced for kidnapping, attempted kidnapping 2 women 2 days apart

    August 22, 2026

    Inside the $37,000 Private Jet That Flew ‘Let’s Marry Harry’ to Vegas

    August 22, 2026

    Live Now: Blue Bombers at Elks game tracker

    August 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    This Week In Epic News: FTC Probe, AI Agents & More

    August 22, 2026

    Brampton man sentenced for kidnapping, attempted kidnapping 2 women 2 days apart

    August 22, 2026

    Inside the $37,000 Private Jet That Flew ‘Let’s Marry Harry’ to Vegas

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.