Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Redblacks get strong quarterback play and other thoughts on Ottawa’s preseason win in Montreal

    May 23, 2026

    The Game Shares Sweet Photos As His Daughter Heads To Prom

    May 23, 2026

    Iran and US signal some progress in talks as Trump weighs striking again – National

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Iran and US signal some progress in talks as Trump weighs striking again – National
    Canada

    Iran and US signal some progress in talks as Trump weighs striking again – National

    News DeskBy News DeskMay 23, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Iran and US signal some progress in talks as Trump weighs striking again - National
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Iran on Saturday signaled “narrowing differences” in negotiations with the U.S. after Pakistan’s army chief held more talks in Tehran and the United States weighs a new round of attacks on the Islamic Republic.

    U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio told journalists in India that “there’s been some progress made” and “there may be news later today.”

    Iran has rebuilt military assets after weeks of war and then a fragile ceasefire, parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf said after the meeting with Field Marshal Asim Munir, state TV reported.

    Qalibaf, the lead negotiator in historic face-to-face talks with the U.S. last month, also said the result would be “more crushing and more bitter” than at the start of the war if U.S. President Donald Trump resumes attacks.

    Separately, Iran’s official IRNA news agency quoted Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei as saying that nuclear issues are not part of the current negotiations, as Tehran first seeks to end the war before discussing its nuclear program that has long been at the heart of international tensions.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Baghaei said the sides are trying to finalize a memorandum of understanding and positions have moved closer in recent days.

    Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

    Get daily National news

    Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

    “Over the past week, the trend has been toward narrowing differences,” he said. “We will have to wait and see what happens over the next three or four days.”

    Rubio said that “even as I speak to you now there is some work being done. There is a chance that whether it’s later today, tomorrow, in a couple days we may have something to say.”

    Rubio repeated the U.S. stance that Iran can never have a nuclear weapon and must turn over its highly enriched uranium, and the Strait of Hormuz must be open.

    Trump earlier said he was holding off on a military strike against Iran because “serious negotiations” were underway, and at the request of allies in the Middle East. Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off.


    The U.S. and Israel sparked the war with attacks on Feb. 28, cutting short talks with Iran. Tehran retaliated by effectively closing the Strait of Hormuz, a key waterway for the region’s oil, natural gas and fertilizer, causing global economic pain.

    The U.S. then blockaded Iranian ports, and the U.S. Central Command on Saturday said U.S. forces had turned away more than 100 commercial vessels and disabled four since the blockade began April 13.

    Story continues below advertisement

    There was progress in the talks between Pakistan’s army chief and Iran’s leadership, two officials in Islamabad said, describing the discussions as moving “in the right direction.” The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media on the record.

    Munir also met with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, President Masoud Pezeshkian and other senior officials, the two officials said, adding that Islamabad continues efforts to arrange a second round of direct negotiations.

    It was not clear whether Pakistan’s army chief met with Brig. Gen. Ahmad Vahidi, who heads Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, has become a major player in formulating Iran’s tough stance in talks.

    &copy 2026 The Canadian Press

    iran Iran Talks Islamic Republic U.S. News World
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Best running shoes: Top-rated picks for every runner and budget – National

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Site C dam naming met with disbelief in northeast B.C.

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    How Montreal researchers are helping kids identify fake information online – Montreal

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Redblacks down Alouettes 27-12 in pre-season game – Calgary

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Woman presumed drowned in Kamloops, B.C., river identified as Kenyan immigrant

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Montreal lawyer denied bail on child luring, sexual assault charges – Montreal

    May 23, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Redblacks get strong quarterback play and other thoughts on Ottawa’s preseason win in Montreal

    News DeskMay 23, 20260

    Photo courtesy: Montreal Alouettes For the first time in the Ryan Dinwiddie era, the Ottawa…

    The Game Shares Sweet Photos As His Daughter Heads To Prom

    May 23, 2026

    Iran and US signal some progress in talks as Trump weighs striking again – National

    May 23, 2026

    Joe Root opens up on chasing Sachin Tendulkar’s world record in Test cricket

    May 23, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Three CFL Draft prospects test positive for performance-enhancing drugs

    April 23, 2026

    Lufthansa to add 2 more weekly Mexico City-Munich flights

    April 23, 2026

    ‘NCIS’ LL Cool J Returns & Teases ‘New York’ Spin-Off

    April 23, 2026

    Jose Mourinho pushes Real Madrid to pursue Barcelona top target

    May 23, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Redblacks get strong quarterback play and other thoughts on Ottawa’s preseason win in Montreal

    May 23, 2026

    The Game Shares Sweet Photos As His Daughter Heads To Prom

    May 23, 2026

    Iran and US signal some progress in talks as Trump weighs striking again – National

    May 23, 2026

    Joe Root opens up on chasing Sachin Tendulkar’s world record in Test cricket

    May 23, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Redblacks get strong quarterback play and other thoughts on Ottawa’s preseason win in Montreal

    May 23, 2026

    The Game Shares Sweet Photos As His Daughter Heads To Prom

    May 23, 2026

    Iran and US signal some progress in talks as Trump weighs striking again – National

    May 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.