Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Hilaria Baldwin Celebrates Romeo’s 8th Birthday With a ‘No Training Wheels’ Scooter

    May 18, 2026

    Trump to announce an expansion of his discounted-drug website TrumpRx

    May 18, 2026

    2 former Sinaloa officials in US custody following drug trafficking indictment

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»US Politics»Justice Department announces a $1.7B fund to compensate Trump allies in a deal to drop IRS suit
    US Politics

    Justice Department announces a $1.7B fund to compensate Trump allies in a deal to drop IRS suit

    News DeskBy News DeskMay 18, 2026No Comments6 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Justice Department announces a $1.7B fund to compensate Trump allies in a deal to drop IRS suit
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    WASHINGTON — The Trump administration on Monday announced the creation a $1.7 billion fund to compensate allies of the Republican president who believe they were mistreated by the Biden administration Justice Department.

    The “Anti-Weaponization Fund” was announced by the Justice Department as part of a deal to resolve President Donald Trump’s lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service over the leak of his tax returns.

    Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said in announcing the fund in a statement that it was “a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress.”

    Democrats and government watchdogs immediately pledged to fight what they called a “corrupt” and unprecedented resolution, warning that the arrangement would unjustly enrich people close to the president with taxpayer dollars and open the door to meritless claims of political persecution.

    Trump’s lawyers disclosed the dismissal of the case in a filing Monday in federal court in Florida, where the president sued earlier this year.

    The fund would represent not only a highly unorthodox resolution but also a further demonstration of the administration’s eagerness to reward allies who before Trump came to power were investigated and in some cases charged and convicted. Most notably, the president on his first day back in office pardoned or commuted the sentences of supporters who rioted at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. His Justice Department since then has approved payouts to supporters entangled in the Trump-Russia investigation and investigated and prosecuted some of his perceived adversaries.

    “This case is nothing but a racket designed to take $1.7 billion of taxpayer dollars out of the Treasury and pour it into a huge slush fund for Trump at DOJ to hand out to his private militia of insurrectionists, rioters, and white supremacists, including those who brutally beat police officers on January 6, 2021, and sycophant accomplices to his election stealing schemes,” Rep. Jamie Raskin, the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, said in a statement.

    Trump’s attorneys suggested in their court filing seeking to dismiss the case that the resolution would not be reviewable by a judge. But a group of 93 members of Congress filed a brief teeing up a challenge.

    Trump has long raised ’weaponization’ claims

    It was not immediately clear who precisely will stand to benefit from the fund but its creation reflects Trump’s long-running claims that the Justice Department during the Biden administration was weaponized against him.

    He has cited as proof the since-dismissed criminal charges he faced between his first and second terms of conspiring to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election he lost and of retaining classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida. Several aides of his were also prosecuted, as were hundreds of Trump supporters who stormed the U.S. Capitol in an effort to halt the certification of election results on Jan. 6, 2021.

    Merrick Garland, who served as attorney general during the Biden administration, has repeatedly denied allegations of politicization and has said his decisions followed facts, the evidence and the law. His Justice Department also investigated Biden for his handling of classified information and brought separate tax and gun prosecutions against Biden’s son Hunter.

    Nonetheless, Trump’s current Justice Department has actively pursued the president’s retribution campaign and grievances, bringing criminal charges against some of his political opponents and initiating a wide-ranging investigation that aims to establish a yearslong conspiracy between law enforcement and intelligence officials to destroy Trump’s political prospects and keep him power.

    No charges have been brought in that investigation and it is not clear that any ever will be.

    Trump’s lawsuit followed the leak of tax returns

    Trump filed a lawsuit earlier this year in a Florida federal court, alleging that a previous leak of his and the Trump Organization’s confidential tax records caused “reputational and financial harm, public embarrassment, unfairly tarnished their business reputations, portrayed them in a false light, and negatively affected President Trump, and the other Plaintiffs’ public standing.”

    The president’s sons, Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, are also named plaintiffs in the suit.

    In 2024, former IRS contractor Charles Edward Littlejohn — who worked for Booz Allen Hamilton, a defense and national security tech firm — was sentenced to five years in prison after pleading guilty to leaking tax information about Trump and others to two news outlets between 2018 and 2020.

    The outlets were not named in the charging documents, but the description and time frame align with stories about Trump’s tax returns in The New York Times and reporting about wealthy Americans’ taxes in the nonprofit investigative journalism organization ProPublica. The 2020 New York Times report found Trump paid $750 in federal income tax the year he first entered the White House, and no income tax at all some years, thanks to reported colossal losses.

    In the first sign that a settlement was coming, lawyers for the president asked a federal judge last month to pause the case for 90 days while the two sides work to reach a settlement or resolution.

    “This limited pause will neither prejudice the parties nor delay ultimate resolution,” the filing in April said. “Rather, the extension will promote judicial economy and allow the Parties to explore avenues that could narrow or resolve the issues efficiently.”

    When asked in February how he would handle any potential damages from the case, Trump said, “I think what we’ll do is do something for charity.”

    “We could make it a substantial amount,” he said at the time. “Nobody would care because it’s going to go to numerous very good charities.”

    A group of lawyers wrote to the court this month, expressing concerns about whether the Justice Department was properly insulated from the president’s control of the case. Additionally, several ethics watchdog groups have filed friend-of-the-court briefs challenging the president’s lawsuit.

    Skye Perryman, president and CEO of Democracy Forward, an advocacy group that filed an earlier brief, said in response to the dismissal: “This case was always a sham, and another ploy by the President to access taxpayer funds to line his pockets.”

    Perryman vowed that her group would continue to fight the settlement.

    Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    US Politics

    Woman paid homeless to register to vote, sign to get petitions on ballot in California

    May 18, 2026
    US Politics

    Pentagon pauses 86-year-old U.S.-Canada defense board over Canada’s defense spending

    May 18, 2026
    US Politics

    Supreme Court avoids taking up Voting Rights Act enforcement : NPR

    May 18, 2026
    US Politics

    Trump drops IRS lawsuit, paving the way for a settlement : NPR

    May 18, 2026
    US Politics

    Oil touches $110 per barrel as Trump warns Iran to hurry up on peace talks

    May 18, 2026
    US Politics

    What Louisiana Sen. Bill Cassidy's loss means for upcoming Republican primaries

    May 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Hilaria Baldwin Celebrates Romeo’s 8th Birthday With a ‘No Training Wheels’ Scooter

    News DeskMay 18, 20260

    Hilaria Baldwin posted a birthday tribute to her son Romeo on Sunday. The whole thing…

    Trump to announce an expansion of his discounted-drug website TrumpRx

    May 18, 2026

    2 former Sinaloa officials in US custody following drug trafficking indictment

    May 18, 2026

    Winnipeg Blue Bombers rule Jovan Santos-Knox out for 2026 season

    May 18, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Orioles contact-less lineup tries for better results vs. Guardians

    April 19, 2026

    A perspective from our CEO

    April 18, 2026

    Alvarez strike sends Copa del Rey final to extra time

    April 18, 2026

    Obama meets Mamdani in New York City before reading to preschoolers

    April 18, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Hilaria Baldwin Celebrates Romeo’s 8th Birthday With a ‘No Training Wheels’ Scooter

    May 18, 2026

    Trump to announce an expansion of his discounted-drug website TrumpRx

    May 18, 2026

    2 former Sinaloa officials in US custody following drug trafficking indictment

    May 18, 2026

    Winnipeg Blue Bombers rule Jovan Santos-Knox out for 2026 season

    May 18, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Hilaria Baldwin Celebrates Romeo’s 8th Birthday With a ‘No Training Wheels’ Scooter

    May 18, 2026

    Trump to announce an expansion of his discounted-drug website TrumpRx

    May 18, 2026

    2 former Sinaloa officials in US custody following drug trafficking indictment

    May 18, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.