Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Mother Speaks Out After Autopsy & Toxicology Reports

    May 21, 2026

    Lori Loughlin’s Facial Transformation Linked To Split From Husband

    May 21, 2026

    Rockies Select Chad Stevens – MLB Trade Rumors

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Teen suspect in custody after 16-year-old shot and killed in Hamilton mall, police say
    Canada

    Teen suspect in custody after 16-year-old shot and killed in Hamilton mall, police say

    News DeskBy News DeskApril 25, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Teen suspect in custody after 16-year-old shot and killed in Hamilton mall, police say
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 3 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

    Police have identified the 16-year-old boy who died in hospital after a shooting inside Jackson Square, the downtown Hamilton shopping mall, on Friday evening.

    Officers were called to the mall Friday at around 5:10 p.m. Nabil Askafe, of Hamilton, was found in the mall suffering from life-threatening injuries, police say.

    Paramedics rushed Askafe to hospital, where he died of his injuries.

    In a news conference Saturday, Det. Robert Di Ianni of the homicide investigation unit said Askafe had recently immigrated from Syria with his mother, father and younger brother. “His family loves him, they’re deeply affected by this tragedy,” he said.

    Teenage boy wearing black Nike hoodie, smiling at camera
    Nabil Askafe, of Hamilton, was found in the mall suffering from life-threatening injuries, police say. (Hamilton Police Service)

    On Saturday, police also identified a 14-year-old suspect and said he was wanted for second-degree murder.

    In a media release Sunday, police said the suspect had turned himself in that day. They did not say if charges had been laid.

    ‘Extensive search’ for suspect ends Sunday

    Di Ianni told reporters on Saturday Askafe was walking on King Street W. near Hess Street towards the mall. The teens initially interacted with each other outside the mall.

    He said they had a physical altercation where the 14-year-old brandished a firearm and shot Askafe. The altercation happened “just inside the doors” of the mall on King Street W. near a Himalayan restaurant.

    Di Ianni said Askafe walked towards a Wireless+ store a few feet from the entrance, where he collapsed.

    Di Ianni said the firearm appeared to be larger than a handgun. He added Askafe was able to walk himself to a different store after the shooting, where he collapsed and was located by first responders.

    Hamilton police previously released the name and image of the 14-year-old suspect, who police allege shot Askafe.

    They obtained judicial authorization to identify the suspect in order to locate him. As he is now in custody, CBC has removed his name and image as his identity is protected under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

    Police said Sunday he turned himself in “following an extensive search involving multiple Hamilton Police units.”

    Police said Saturday they were working to identify a second individual who fled the scene. On Sunday, they said in the release they “have now spoken to all the individuals involved in Friday’s altercation at Jackson Square and are not looking for any more suspects.”

    Di Ianni said Saturday the scene had been cleared and the mall was open for business, as usual. He said the mall’s security assisted with clearing the mall and cooperated with Hamilton police to provide video surveillance.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Opening of new thrift store in Calgary being called a ‘win, win, win’

    May 21, 2026
    Canada

    Pierre Poilievre in North Vancouver to make announcement on property rights

    May 21, 2026
    Canada

    Canadians could pay $12 billion over next 12 months in higher oil prices

    May 21, 2026
    Canada

    Johnny Pauls, a WW II veteran from N.L., has died. He was 102

    May 21, 2026
    Canada

    Fans welcome Montreal Victoire home after historic Walter Cup win

    May 21, 2026
    Canada

    Recipe: Pistachio mint pesto – BC

    May 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Mother Speaks Out After Autopsy & Toxicology Reports

    News DeskMay 21, 20260

    Almost three months after Lil Poppa’s tragic passing, his family and fans are still trying…

    Lori Loughlin’s Facial Transformation Linked To Split From Husband

    May 21, 2026

    Rockies Select Chad Stevens – MLB Trade Rumors

    May 21, 2026

    Florida biologist fired over Charlie Kirk post after his death wins $485,000 settlement

    May 21, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Layla Taylor Exposes Modeling Culture Triggers

    April 21, 2026

    Man who shot 2 strangers days apart addresses families before receiving life sentence – Toronto

    April 21, 2026

    Friday TV Ratings: 20/20, Happy’s Place, Fire Country, Penn & Teller: Fool Us, UFL Football – canceled + renewed TV shows, ratings

    April 21, 2026

    Max Meyer’s Approach Is Working

    April 21, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Mother Speaks Out After Autopsy & Toxicology Reports

    May 21, 2026

    Lori Loughlin’s Facial Transformation Linked To Split From Husband

    May 21, 2026

    Rockies Select Chad Stevens – MLB Trade Rumors

    May 21, 2026

    Florida biologist fired over Charlie Kirk post after his death wins $485,000 settlement

    May 21, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Mother Speaks Out After Autopsy & Toxicology Reports

    May 21, 2026

    Lori Loughlin’s Facial Transformation Linked To Split From Husband

    May 21, 2026

    Rockies Select Chad Stevens – MLB Trade Rumors

    May 21, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.