Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    SOUND FIST: JOSH FAWAZ – SEXUAL HEALING

    May 23, 2026

    Ladies First Review

    May 23, 2026

    Pentagon gave Canada classified paper detailing defence priorities

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»US Politics»Trump administration prepares to seek Raul Castro indictment as it pressures Cuba, AP sources say
    US Politics

    Trump administration prepares to seek Raul Castro indictment as it pressures Cuba, AP sources say

    News DeskBy News DeskMay 15, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Trump administration prepares to seek Raul Castro indictment as it pressures Cuba, AP sources say
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    MIAMI — The Justice Department is preparing to seek an indictment against former Cuban President Raúl Castro, three people familiar with the matter told The Associated Press on Friday, as President Donald Trump threatens possible military action against the communist-run island.

    One of the people told the AP that the potential indictment is connected to Castro’s alleged role in the 1996 shootdown of four planes operated by the Miami-based exile group Brothers to the Rescue. Castro was defense minister at the time.

    All three people spoke on the condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation. The Cuban government did not immediately comment on the potential indictment, which was reported earlier by CBS.

    Any criminal charge against Castro, which would need to be approved by a grand jury, would dramatically escalate tensions with Havana. Following the U.S. military’s brazen capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro in January, the Trump administration quickly turned its attention to its ally Cuba and ordered an economic blockade that choked off fuel shipments to Cuba, leading to severe blackouts across the island, increasing food insecurity and heightening ongoing economic woes across the island.

    But the U.S. war in Iran gave Cuban leaders something of a reprieve from U.S. talk of regime change.

    Richard Feinberg, a professor emeritus specializing in Latin America at the University of California-San Diego, said that any indictment of Castro will play well with voters in south Florida but is unlikely to persuade members of the U.S. military to pursue a second war of choice – this time just 90 miles from Florida.

    “There’s no easy Venezuela copy,” said Feinberg. “There’s no clear line of succession and it’s hard to imagine regime change without U.S. boots on the ground.”

    The AP reported in March that the U.S. Attorney in Miami had created a special working group of prosecutors and federal law enforcement to build cases against top Cuban officials amid calls by several south Florida Republicans to reopen its investigation into Castro’s alleged role in the 1996 shootdown.

    As Trump seeks to wind down the war in Iran, speculation has been growing that he may soon turn his attention back to Cuba after pledging earlier this year a “friendly takeover” of the country if its leadership didn’t open up its economy to American investment and kick out U.S. adversaries.

    CIA Director John Ratcliffe met with Cuban officials, including Castro’s grandson, during a high-level visit to the island on Thursday.

    Castro, 94, took over as president from his ailing brother, Fidel Castro, in 2011, and then handed power to a handpicked loyalist, Miguel Díaz-Canel, in 2019.

    While he largely has avoided the spotlight since retiring in 2021 as head of the Cuban Communist Party, he is widely believed to wield power behind the scenes, a fact underscored by the prominence of his grandson, Raúl Guillermo Rodríguez Castro, who previously met secretly with U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

    Cuba’s shootdown in 1996 of two Cessna aircraft operated by the Brothers to the Rescue was a watershed moment in decades of hostilities between the two countries.

    At the time, President Bill Clinton had been cautiously exploring ways to reduce tensions with a Cold War adversary but faced stiff opposition from exiles who organized publicity-seeking flyovers of Havana, dropping anti-Castro leaflets, and aiding Cuban rafters fleeing economic deprivation and single-party rule.

    The Cubans had warned the U.S. government for months that it was prepared to defend against what it considered deliberate provocations. But those calls went unheeded and on Feb. 26, 1996, missiles fired by Russian-made MiG-29 fighter jets downed two unarmed civilian Cessna planes just beyond Cuba’s airspace, according to an investigation conducted by the International Civil Aviation Organization. A third plane, carrying the organization’s leader, narrowly escaped.

    “With hindsight, it appears the Castros’ motive was to slow down the Clinton outreach because they needed the U.S. as an external enemy to justify their national security posture,” said Richard Fienberg, who worked on Cuban issues at the National Security Council at the time.

    They succeeded beyond their wildest dreams, said Feinberg.

    Shortly after the shootdown, Congress passed what became known as the Helms-Burton Act, which codified a U.S. trade embargo enacted in 1962 and made it far more complicated for successive U.S. presidents to engage with Cuba.

    To date, the U.S. has convicted only a single person of conspiracy to commit murder in connection with the Brothers to the Rescue shootdown. Gerardo Hernández, the leader of a Cuban espionage ring dismantled by the FBI in the 1990s, was sentenced to life in prison but was released by President Barack Obama during a prisoner swap in 2014 as part of an attempt to normalize relations with Cuba.

    Two fighter jet pilots and their commanding officer have also been indicted but are outside the reach of U.S. law enforcement while living in Cuba.

    ___

    Tucker and Durkin Richer reported from Washington

    Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    US Politics

    USS Ford finally comes home : NPR

    May 23, 2026
    US Politics

    Trump administration to force foreigners to apply for a green card abroad : NPR

    May 23, 2026
    US Politics

    Rubio arrives in India ahead of Quad talks : NPR

    May 23, 2026
    US Politics

    San Francisco immigration court shuts down after purge of judges, leaving asylum cases in chaos

    May 22, 2026
    US Politics

    Trump rallies MAGA base in historic visit to New York battleground district

    May 22, 2026
    US Politics

    Trump's week in Washington marked by wins at the ballot box and headaches on the Hill

    May 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    SOUND FIST: JOSH FAWAZ – SEXUAL HEALING

    News DeskMay 23, 20260

     The Josh Fawaz trending is very similar to what Cyril did few years back with…

    Ladies First Review

    May 23, 2026

    Pentagon gave Canada classified paper detailing defence priorities

    May 23, 2026

    IPL 2026: Rajat Patidar attains a unique record during SRH vs RCB clash

    May 23, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    SOUND FIST: JOSH FAWAZ – SEXUAL HEALING

    May 23, 2026

    Luna Carmoon’s To Make Ends Meat wraps shooting in time for its Cannes market launch

    April 23, 2026

    Gavi on Lamine Yamal injury

    April 23, 2026

    What I found about how Spain’s customs duties for gifts really work

    April 23, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    SOUND FIST: JOSH FAWAZ – SEXUAL HEALING

    May 23, 2026

    Ladies First Review

    May 23, 2026

    Pentagon gave Canada classified paper detailing defence priorities

    May 23, 2026

    IPL 2026: Rajat Patidar attains a unique record during SRH vs RCB clash

    May 23, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    SOUND FIST: JOSH FAWAZ – SEXUAL HEALING

    May 23, 2026

    Ladies First Review

    May 23, 2026

    Pentagon gave Canada classified paper detailing defence priorities

    May 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.