Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    WATCH: Yuzvendra Chahal gets pumped up after removing Rishabh Pant during LSG vs PBKS IPL 2026 clash

    May 23, 2026

    Italian Authorities Shut Down Major Streaming Piracy Network

    May 23, 2026

    Redblacks get strong quarterback play and other thoughts on Ottawa’s preseason win in Montreal

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Spain»WHO chief says ‘work not over’ after hantavirus evacuation in Spain
    Spain

    WHO chief says ‘work not over’ after hantavirus evacuation in Spain

    News DeskBy News DeskMay 12, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    WHO chief says 'work not over' after hantavirus evacuation in Spain
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    World Health Organisation chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told journalists in Madrid on Tuesday that their “work is not over” to contain the hantavirus after new positive cases followed the evacuation of the cruise ship in Spain’s Canary Islands.

    The fate of the MV Hondius has sparked international alarm after three passengers died in an outbreak of the rare virus, for which no vaccines or specific treatments exist.

    Yet health officials have stressed that the global public health risk is low and rejected comparisons to the start of the Covid-19 pandemic.

    “There is no sign that we are seeing the start of a larger outbreak,” Tedros told a joint news conference in Madrid with Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez.

    “But of course the situation could change, and given the long incubation period of the virus, it’s possible we might see more cases in the coming weeks,” Tedros said.

    More than 120 passengers and crew on the MV Hondius were flown out from Spain’s Canary Islands on Sunday and Monday, and countries have adopted different health measures for their returning evacuees.

    A Spanish man evacuated from the cruise ship tested positive for hantavirus and is showing symptoms, the Spanish health ministry said Tuesday.

    Among living patients, all passengers or crew from the ship, seven cases have been confirmed and an eighth is listed as “probable”, according to an AFP tally of official figures.

    READ ALSO: Spain says it took ‘all measures’ to stop hantavirus amid new positive cases

    Most countries have followed the WHO’s guidelines, which include a 42-day quarantine and constant monitoring of high-risk contacts.

    But in the United States, Jay Bhattacharya, acting director of the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), said American passengers would not necessarily be quarantined.

    “I hope they (countries) will follow the advice and recommendations we are making,” Tedros said in Madrid.

    The MV Hondius presented diplomatic challenges as different countries negotiated over who would receive it and treat its passengers.

    Cape Verde refused to receive the ship, which remained anchored offshore the capital Praia as three people were evacuated to Europe by air last week.

    Spain allowed the vessel to anchor off the Canary Islands for the evacuation of passengers and crew on Sunday and Monday, but the Atlantic archipelago’s regional government fiercely opposed the measure.

    Defending his government’s policy, Sánchez said the “world does not need more selfishness or more fear. What it needs are countries that show solidarity and want to step forward.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Spain

    Respetamos los tiempos de la Justicia

    May 23, 2026
    Spain

    Thousands rally in Madrid demanding PM quit over graft allegations

    May 23, 2026
    Spain

    La extrema derecha sale a las calles en Madrid para fijar como “prioridad nacional” la “expulsión” de Sánchez

    May 23, 2026
    Spain

    este es su origen real

    May 23, 2026
    Spain

    Are government language tests in Europe integration policy or just political posturing?

    May 23, 2026
    Spain

    The overlooked fight to prevent another pandemic

    May 23, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    WATCH: Yuzvendra Chahal gets pumped up after removing Rishabh Pant during LSG vs PBKS IPL 2026 clash

    News DeskMay 23, 20260

    The intensity of the Indian Premier League (IPL) once again took centre stage as Punjab…

    Italian Authorities Shut Down Major Streaming Piracy Network

    May 23, 2026

    Redblacks get strong quarterback play and other thoughts on Ottawa’s preseason win in Montreal

    May 23, 2026

    Red Sox Making Trade Calls For Offensive Help

    May 23, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Twins Claim Christian Roa, Designate Eric Wagaman

    April 23, 2026

    Sheinbaum taps Roberto Lazzeri as Mexican ambassador to US

    April 23, 2026

    el hielo se rompe antes y pone contra las cuerdas a tres especies esenciales

    April 23, 2026

    Carney ‘disappointed’ by U.S. ambassador’s English-only invite

    April 23, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    WATCH: Yuzvendra Chahal gets pumped up after removing Rishabh Pant during LSG vs PBKS IPL 2026 clash

    May 23, 2026

    Italian Authorities Shut Down Major Streaming Piracy Network

    May 23, 2026

    Redblacks get strong quarterback play and other thoughts on Ottawa’s preseason win in Montreal

    May 23, 2026

    Red Sox Making Trade Calls For Offensive Help

    May 23, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    WATCH: Yuzvendra Chahal gets pumped up after removing Rishabh Pant during LSG vs PBKS IPL 2026 clash

    May 23, 2026

    Italian Authorities Shut Down Major Streaming Piracy Network

    May 23, 2026

    Redblacks get strong quarterback play and other thoughts on Ottawa’s preseason win in Montreal

    May 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.